Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

angeldaisy wrote: »
    thanks for that, but I just received a response from the passport office and they've said I'm better off to head to a counter as they can't guarantee the 10 days with it being xmas!! So it looks like I'm off to cork - happy days!!

Used Passport express last Monday. Had my passport by last Friday. Excellent turnaround

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

SAINTRON wrote: »
    Not great advice. When leaving your home country, ALWAYS carry a passport.
    A passport is not required to go to the UK or the other countries in the CTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

A passport is not required to go to the UK or the other countries in the CTA.

I know Hav, but as I said, not good advice to travel out of your home country WITHOUT your passport regardless of wheter or not it is required to be shown at entry/exit points.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Used Passport express last Monday. Had my passport by last Friday. Excellent turnaround

wow that was very quick. I ventured to cork this morning and they said that I should have it on the 3rd of Jan, when I said I was flying on the 4th, they said I could collect it on the 30th of December. Didn't fancy taking a chance with the postal system:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Just a word of advice to everybody whose passport is set to expire next year and who is planning to travel then: if you post in your passport-application to the passport office before February/March you will have a quick turn-around, especially in December and January as there are low volumes at the moment.
    You can renew your passport at any time, you do not have to wait till it expires first.

Just save yourself the hassle of getting stuck in the high season with the risk of not being able to go on holidays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

SAINTRON wrote: »
    Not great advice. When leaving your home country, ALWAYS carry a passport.

Ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

hi all,
    have to renew my passport, it expired last year.
    im heading away the last weekend in january, 27th to be exact.
    anyone know when the passport office will be closed and reopening after christmas?
    might be a little tight for my liking.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

trebor28 wrote: »
    hi all,
    have to renew my passport, it expired last year.
    im heading away the last weekend in january, 27th to be exact.
    anyone know when the passport office will be closed and reopening after christmas?
    might be a little tight for my liking.

thanks.

Just Monday and Tuesday. You won't have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We just got a < 48 hour turnaround from passport express. I am genuinely shocked and awed. Amazing. Fair play to them.

Khannie wrote: »
    We just got a < 48 hour turnaround from passport express. I am genuinely shocked and awed. Amazing. Fair play to them.
    Not many are applying at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

That turnaround for sure ? Sent my express off xmas eve and i think it won't leave the Post office until next Thursday, Hoping to fly to Germany around the 18th/19th of January and fingers crossed a new one will be back by then :D

There won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

There won't be a problem.

Thanks lad ! Hope you are spot on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

My OH's arrive last week - also 48 hour turn around using An Post. Most impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Morning all!
    Travelling to the States in March for about 10 nights. My passport expires mid July. Is it still the case where your passport needs to be valid for 6+ months post travel??

NO!

It is fine as it is. Stop listening to travel agents please.

It may be advisable now to use the slack period now to renew as you will be among the sun holiday mob looking for passports in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Not listening to travel agents...just the dog on the street!! LOL!!
    Thanks for that info Man in Havana.
    Not sure about the 'sun holiday mob' though...not really my kind of holiday!
    Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭velogirl

We are due to travel on sunday morning the 1st on a family holiday to France and only realised late this afternoon that our teenage son's passport is out of date.

We were convinced it had longer left to run but kids passports are only issued for 5 years and not the usual 10. I phoned both the passport office and the department of foreign affairs today who both told me the same thing which is:

If he was an adult he could be issued with a passport within a few hours tomorrow in Molesworth St but because he is a minor (14) the earliest they will issue a passport for him is 3 working days which is next Wednesday (due to weekend and new year) which would be way too late. The reasoning for this is that his passport has to be issued/approved by the child officer. I can understand why this is with children being snatched etc.

The holiday and flights are paid for and are non refundable at this stage. Has anyone any ideas or suggestions as what could be done.

Myself, my husband and son are going into Molesworth st in the morning but don't know what will happen

Unless you have a letter from the Pope nothing will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

So I sent away for a passport it won't get here on time am travelling on the 12th so ive decided to call in to the passport office and get an emergency one.

I've got a passport form stamped by the guards I've also got travel information as in my flight and a drivers license I'm
    Just wondering if perhaps in forgetting anything else

Also how long will the passport be valid from and does anyone know about the costs of this ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Why do you think you wont have it on time?? You're not travelling for nearly 2 weeks.

How did you apply???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A good chance you'll get in time, don't panic yet

Did you use Passport Express?

And you could offer to pick it up yourself if you are close to Cork or Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah, call them on Tuesday and ask to pick it up if you're worried about post. Shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

Just reading the passport application fees - is it my imagination, or is it now cheaper to use Passport Express than to do it "normally"?

Thoie wrote: »
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

Just reading the passport application fees - is it my imagination, or is it now cheaper to use Passport Express than to do it "normally"?

Yep, cheaper and quicker.

Basically its to stop overcrowding in the offices

Dodge wrote: »
    Yep, cheaper and quicker.

Basically its to stop overcrowding in the offices

Just seems strange that it's cheaper than "normal" post as well, yet has a quicker turnaround. I can understand raising the price in the office.

I think its because people were sending in applications by post, then ringing to see where it was etc etc

With the Passport Express number, it can be tracked online etc so presumably cuts down on calls/non production work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

It's cheaper than normal post applications because they are an absolute nightmare. Until they are processed there is absolutely no way of finding them, unless the person applying has kept the barcode number (I've never seen that happen with ordinary post application), so you end up with loads of duplicate applications in the system which is a nightmare for the customer care team. Its also cheaper than the office to reduce overcrowding as was said above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

HI All,

Need some help... Myself and my Husband are flying to spain on Sunday the 15th of Jan with our 14 month son, flights are all booked and paid for. Problem is we don't have a passport for our 14 month old son

Is it possible if i drive to Dublin to get a passport issued in a day, as it is emergency?? Has anyone got this done or even heard of being able to issue a infants passport in a day??

We have tickets, what would i need to bring to passport office??

Any help much appreciated

• Advertisement

oisim wrote: »
    HI All,

Need some help... Myself and my Husband are flying to spain on Sunday the 15th of Jan with our 14 month son, flights are all booked and paid for. Problem is we don't have a passport for our 14 month old son

Is it possible if i drive to Dublin to get a passport issued in a day, as it is emergency?? Has anyone got this done or even heard of being able to issue a infants passport in a day??

We have tickets, what would i need to bring to passport office??

Any help much appreciated

On their site it says 3 working days for your kind of situation (travel booked, but not a family emergency), so be prepared to go twice. There's a passport office in Cork as well if that's handier.

Get everything you need lined up - get the form from a Garda station tonight/tomorrow, get the photos taken properly, dig out the long form birth cert, and have you and your partners passports to hand. If either of you aren't Irish citizens you might need an additional declaration form.

Take a look here, and look at the FAQ in the left menu as well: http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=255

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement