Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Joekers wrote: »
    Ok need some help,

Heading to Ibiza in the morn 6th July and back 13th, checked my passport there now and it is outta date on the 18th.

However im heading to Budapest on the 19th so I obviously have to get an in date passport for that trip.

My plan is to get my sister to drop in everything into the passport office tomorrow morning for me, just wondering should I have it in time and will my return trip from Ibiza be affected while the new passport is processing next week ?

Also what will they need in the passport office ? Application form and Photos and a copy of my current passport ?

That should all be fine, just include a photocopy of your flight details for Budapest as well so it gets processed in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Turns out I have to include my current passport with the forms so il have to do it all on the Friday when I get back and hope I get it for the following Thursday

Joekers wrote: »
    Turns out I have to include my current passport with the forms so il have to do it all on the Friday when I get back and hope I get it for the following Thursday

According to passport.ie, a photocopy will be accepted where a passport has less than 6 months validity, so you should be able to send it in straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭katerina621

Does anyone know if it is possible to get passport quicker than 4-5 weeks in Latvian embassy in Dublin? Before it could be done faster but would cost more. Do they still do emergency passports and how much is that?
    I need new passport to buy tickets for a flight.

And also, can child travel back to Dublin with his aunt or grandparents who live in Germany? Do i need warrant of attorney (general power of attorney)?

P.s i rang Latvian embassy to ask, but they weren't helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

my husband applied for passort renewal couple of weeks ago in person and agreed to colllect it this Friday in the passport office in Dublin. He forgot we have a wedding that day in Clare! He is driving the bridesmaids, I am one of them... I could skin him alive! We emailed to see could we colllect it on the Thurs instead, a day earlier... no reply back. Also rang, cant get through with the back log of calls.
    what are the chances of them accomodating us? We are flying to the USA on Wed. We checked the apllication on the tracking and it is still at the 'registered' stage.

• Advertisement

Keep trying them on the phone, the system is a bit odd in the sense it will only let a few calls hold at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how i would go about finding out an old passport number?? I am trying to apply for my supperannuation from my time in australia but TaxBack.com said they need the number of the passport i entered the country on but it was stolen while i was over there and i had to get a new one.

I have no documentation at home myself that i think would have it on it so is there a number i can call or a departemnt in the passport office i can get in contact with to find this out??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Not sure if this is the best place as it concerns a UK passport application but here goes anyway.

A potential brother in law of mine is a UK national living over here. He is due to fly out on holidays from here tomorrow. He sent off for a new passport 6 weeks ago which was cutting it fine to be fair but they normally turn them around in 3-4 weeks. From what I understand of it he has been told that the passport has shipped from the UK last week but it has not yet arrived. He went into the embassy today and nobody was available to see him - he was given an apointment for tomorrow morning. Just wondering has anyone any experience of this. What are his chances of getting an emergency travel document tomorrow morning off the UK embassy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

sorry, but if the Latvian Embassy cannot provide you with this information, I don't know that anyone else can.
    When you say they they were unhelpful, in what way? Did they not answer your question about how long it takes to get a passport? I ams ure that is a fairly straightforward question, and they either do emergency passports or not. Bear in mind, to be issued with an emergency passport, it does need to be a legitimate emergency. Not just because you want to book flights sooner rather than later.

As to the second question, I imagine it would depend upon the nationality of the child, and teh parental consent. Did you ask the consular section of the Embassy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Sent Passport renewal application today using 'Passport Exprerss'.
    When I got home I realised I had not included daughter's long birth cert.
    The Garda had asked to see it and then I put it back in my pocket for safe keeping.

Hoping I can ask staff at Passport office tomorrow to accept this doc. if posted later tomorrow and still process application in less than 10 days.

10 days is the absolute limit as we will be flying on the afternoon of the 10th day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how i would go about finding out an old passport number?? I am trying to apply for my supperannuation from my time in australia but TaxBack.com said they need the number of the passport i entered the country on but it was stolen while i was over there and i had to get a new one.

I have no documentation at home myself that i think would have it on it so is there a number i can call or a departemnt in the passport office i can get in contact with to find this out??

I might be down any travel insurance or flight documentation you booked, take a look.

Sent Passport renewal application today using 'Passport Exprerss'.
    When I got home I realised I had not included daughter's long birth cert.
    The Garda had asked to see it and then I put it back in my pocket for safe keeping.

Hoping I can ask staff at Passport office tomorrow to accept this doc. if posted later tomorrow and still process application in less than 10 days.

10 days is the absolute limit as we will be flying on the afternoon of the 10th day.

Ring them, tell them you are sending it, send it by express post and include a note stating the application number. Then you may be ok, just make sure they are aware you are sending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for that.
    Have emailed them and am drafting covering letter to send with birth cert and travel details.
    I will call them later also.
    Will keep posters informed of outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Not sure if this is the best place as it concerns a UK passport application but here goes anyway.

A potential brother in law of mine is a UK national living over here. He is due to fly out on holidays from here tomorrow. He sent off for a new passport 6 weeks ago which was cutting it fine to be fair but they normally turn them around in 3-4 weeks. From what I understand of it he has been told that the passport has shipped from the UK last week but it has not yet arrived. He went into the embassy today and nobody was available to see him - he was given an apointment for tomorrow morning. Just wondering has anyone any experience of this. What are his chances of getting an emergency travel document tomorrow morning off the UK embassy ?
    My understanding is that the British embassy can issue an emergency travel document that's good for travel to the UK only. Not certain though. Let us know the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Does anyone know if it is possible to get passport quicker than 4-5 weeks in Latvian embassy in Dublin? Before it could be done faster but would cost more. Do they still do emergency passports and how much is that?
    I need new passport to buy tickets for a flight.

And also, can child travel back to Dublin with his aunt or grandparents who live in Germany? Do i need warrant of attorney (general power of attorney)?

P.s i rang Latvian embassy to ask, but they weren't helpful.

Why do you need the Passport when you're booking the flights?

The only time i've needed the Passport was when checking in online for the flight, I didn't need it when booking the flight.

Why do you need the Passport when you're booking the flights?

The only time i've needed the Passport was when checking in online for the flight, I didn't need it when booking the flight.

I know what you're saying, but technically the correct advice is not to book flights without the required travel documents. If OP wants to book a flight for a fortnights time, and knows it might take 4-5 weeks for the passport to be issued, then there is little point forking out for the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Try phoning the passport office with your present passport number and pps number. I would think they could check that up on their system.

I am applying for my first Irish passport and need it ASAP. I am aware that this is quite a lot of hassle as I was born in England and need to prove citizenship etc. I am getting the documents together now, but any idea what the fastest way of getting the passport is? The website says 6-8 weeks for applications outside Ireland and 15 days in Ireland but seems from reading this like there's still a backlog? I could get it sent to my parents in Northern Ireland if necessary and go to pick it up if it would save time. How does Passport Express work? Do you have to go get your passport in person from the post office or?

I am applying for my first Irish passport and need it ASAP. I am aware that this is quite a lot of hassle as I was born in England and need to prove citizenship etc. I am getting the documents together now, but any idea what the fastest way of getting the passport is? The website says 6-8 weeks for applications outside Ireland and 15 days in Ireland but seems from reading this like there's still a backlog? I could get it sent to my parents in Northern Ireland if necessary and go to pick it up if it would save time. How does Passport Express work? Do you have to go get your passport in person from the post office or?

The passport express system in Northern Ireland is called NIPX, I haven't heard of any delays on this at the moment, I think its between 10 and 15 working days. Basically send all the documents required from a post office in Northern Ireland and its sent back to a Northern Ireland address. The problem with this is you can only use it if you have proof of address for the address in Northern Ireland with your name on it.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    The passport express system in Northern Ireland is called NIPX, I haven't heard of any delays on this at the moment, I think its between 10 and 15 working days. Basically send all the documents required from a post office in Northern Ireland and its sent back to a Northern Ireland address. The problem with this is you can only use it if you have proof of address for the address in Northern Ireland with your name on it.

I do, it's my official address. It's where my bank statements go. Will that be enough for proof of address do you think? Would my mam be able to send off the application at the post office if I sent her all the documents?

• Advertisement

I do, it's my official address. It's where my bank statements go. Will that be enough for proof of address do you think? Would my mam be able to send off the application at the post office if I sent her all the documents?

That should be fine, once you have all the documents to prove citizenship, send them off with the application, two recent proofs of address for that address, four photos and photo ID. Good Luck

That should be fine, once you have all the documents to prove citizenship, send them off with the application, two recent proofs of address for that address, four photos and photo ID. Good Luck

Do you need to send photo ID as well? Didn't see that on the website.

Do you know if it takes much longer to process a brand new passport application than a renewal or is it pretty much the same?

Do you need to send photo ID as well? Didn't see that on the website.

Do you know if it takes much longer to process a brand new passport application than a renewal or is it pretty much the same?

Photo ID is necessary for all first time applicants, here's the list of necessary documentation, plus the documentation needed to prove citizenship.

I don't think its much longer for first time applicants, but I don't really know what its like this year tbh.

Photo ID is necessary for all first time applicants, here's the list of necessary documentation, plus the documentation needed to prove citizenship.

I don't think its much longer for first time applicants, but I don't really know what its like this year tbh.

Ugh...photo ID isn't going to be easy. I don't really have any except expired student cards (not even sure where they are). Would they accept a copy of my British passport do you think? I can't send that off because I need to travel on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Ugh...photo ID isn't going to be easy. I don't really have any except expired student cards (not even sure where they are). Would they accept a copy of my British passport do you think? I can't send that off because I need to travel on it.

Yes because:
    additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;

No need to send original, just certified copy. You may find this link useful in living in the UK:
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/counter-services/passport-identity/identity-checking-service

Yes because:

No need to send original, just certified copy. You may find this link useful in living in the UK:
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/counter-services/passport-identity/identity-checking-service

Very useful, cheers.

So afraid of missing something and my application being denied. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭katerina621

thanks for replies.
    Latvian embassy is unhelpful because I am Russian speaking and they refuse to talk in Russian or English. If Latvian passport holder doesn't speak Latvian they talk to u in rude way. I live in Ireland more then 6 years and haven't been using Latvian language more than 10 years (Russian is my native language).
    Anyway, went to the Embassy -passport will be ready at the end of July which is quiet fast. So this problem is solved.
    But they refused to make an appointment to see notary so he can give me the warrant of attorney as i don't know Latvian language. They said the Latvian notary is very strict and wouldn't do any documents for people with no knowledge of Latvian language. They said to me to go to the Irish notary , do it there, and then translate it to Latvian. hahahha. why would i actually need to translate any documents from English to Latvian language?!!!! Silly.
    Anyway everything is sorted: flights are booked.
    Thanks for all replies.

glad you got it sorted :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

thanks for replies.
    Latvian embassy is unhelpful because I am Russian speaking and they refuse to talk in Russian or English. If Latvian passport holder doesn't speak Latvian they talk to u in rude way. I live in Ireland more then 6 years and haven't been using Latvian language more than 10 years (Russian is my native language).
    Anyway, went to the Embassy -passport will be ready at the end of July which is quiet fast. So this problem is solved.
    But they refused to make an appointment to see notary so he can give me the warrant of attorney as i don't know Latvian language. They said the Latvian notary is very strict and wouldn't do any documents for people with no knowledge of Latvian language. They said to me to go to the Irish notary , do it there, and then translate it to Latvian. hahahha. why would i actually need to translate any documents from English to Latvian language?!!!! Silly.
    Anyway everything is sorted: flights are booked.
    Thanks for all replies.

Nice to see they are consistent in their doomed anti-Russian language campaign. At least you can get a Latvian passport and are not deemed an alien refugee or stateless person in the country you were born in.

I'm in Latvia at the moment staying with some Russian speakers and it's unreal - think going into Ian Paisley's office speaking only Irish for the sort of reaction you get if you try to speak Russian to anyone like the electricity or phone people.

Glad you got the passport sorted. Would you not go for Irish naturalisation at this stage? Bypass all the nonsense.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Bypass all the nonsense.

:D
    and instead endure the nonsense of the Irish citizenship procedure, take 26 months of waiting and fork out over €1000 for the pleasure! I think I'd rather speak Russian and not be understood! lol

In fairness to the embassy, I do know that many Latvians speak Russian as their main language, but most embassies only recognise the legal language of the country and perhaps english. For example, the Turkish embassy will only communicate in English and Turkish. Many Turkish nationals speak Kurdish as their first language, but they won't speak to you in Kurdish if you phone the embassy. I don't think its just a Latvian 'anti-Russian language' policy. More likely they don't have Russian speakers on staff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement