Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Really, I would have thought that once you used the passport you registered for the ESTA with they wouldn't have a problem.

Nope, a lot of countries insist that you use that passport to enter/leave the country. I've never heard of it being an issue in Ireland, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thats really odd imho. Its not a problem with Ireland anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

True, My mother is a US/Irish citizen and she has to use the us passport to enter the states... they don't allow her use her Irish passport which is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Any idea what waiting time we can expect at the Dublin passport office tomorrow, we won't be arriving until around 10.
    Also, they say on the website they can turn around 'emergency' applications in 3 days. Is this likely at what's probably their busiest time of year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you have exceptional circumstances they can. Expect to be there all day.

• Advertisement

That's good news. Was kind of expecting it to be an all-dayer. We'll bring a picnic. :p Cheers!

It's just occurred to me an hour before we set off.... as it's a child's passport and it's a renewal.... does the child even need to be present at the Passport Office. Obviously better, if it's just me spending the day in Dublin rather than the whole family.

Nope, once theyre present at the Garda station thats fine.

We all went anyway and it was not half as bad as I expected. Only waiting for an hour and a bit (60th in the queue) which I thought was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Anyone else having trouble with the online passport tracker? I can't get near it, just getting error messages. Passport application has been gone 12 working days via Passport Express and still no sign. I need it back for a Garda vetting thing, starting to stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Dewie

Anyone else having trouble with the online passport tracker? I can't get near it, just getting error messages. Passport application has been gone 12 working days via Passport Express and still no sign. I need it back for a Garda vetting thing, starting to stress.

Yes the website seems to be down.

It was fine early this morning. My application status was only at 'registered' stage after 8 working days out of 10 (also passport express).

Anyway, if I were you I'd be more worried about how long it takes for the Garda vetting process to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 knotty12

Hey I'm going away on Friday and my passport app came back in the post today due to invalid stamp an proof of add as my last Pport was destroyed what are my chances of getting an emergency one my flight is 7am Friday :(

knotty12 wrote: »
    Hey I'm going away on Friday and my passport app came back in the post today due to invalid stamp an proof of add as my last Pport was destroyed what are my chances of getting an emergency one my flight is 7am Friday :(

Invalid stamp?

Quickest possible turn around is 3 days.
    If you require a passport ugently, you should contact the Passport Service. Applications in Ireland with proof of travel (e.g. airline tickets) are guaranteed to be processed within 3 working days. There is an extra charge for the urgent service - €55 for an adult and €30 for a child.

In cases of genuine emergency, the duty officer at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade can issue an emergency passport of limited validity. Examples of such emergencies are:
    - Situations of substantial distress such as the deaths or funerals of relatives abroad
    - Urgent business abroad, particularly where Ireland is the beneficiary
    Urgent medical attention abroad
    - Marriages abroad or where a partner in a couple going on honeymoon finds a passport to have been lost or mislaid
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/

Good luck.

Dewie wrote: »

Invalid stamp?

Quickest possible turn around is 3 days.
    If you require a passport ugently, you should contact the Passport Service. Applications in Ireland with proof of travel (e.g. airline tickets) are guaranteed to be processed within 3 working days. There is an extra charge for the urgent service - €55 for an adult and €30 for a child.

In cases of genuine emergency, the duty officer at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade can issue an emergency passport of limited validity. Examples of such emergencies are:
    - Situations of substantial distress such as the deaths or funerals of relatives abroad
    - Urgent business abroad, particularly where Ireland is the beneficiary
    Urgent medical attention abroad
    - Marriages abroad or where a partner in a couple going on honeymoon finds a passport to have been lost or mislaid
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/

Good luck.

Ye the date I had my app witnessed was over 6months ago.., do u think within 3 days means I would collect it Friday I could book a later flight so if I do it tomorow within 3 working days should be Friday??

Would at least be next week I'd say and definitely not by Friday 7am for sure.

Your best option is to get to the passport office early tomorrow.

Im going in the morning there is a flight at 16.35 Friday I could book if I got the passport before then I'd be sorted hopefully they help me out they said if I done it today I'd hav it Thursday so I'm sure tomorow will mean its ready Friday

I reckon it would be at least Monday, and thats provided this is your first Lost/Stolen/Destroyed Passport. No harm trying though.

hey just to let you guys know i went in today qued from 8.30am got ticket number 4 a very nice lady and she said i could pick up my pport 2moro evening also didnt charge me any extra as i had put it threw pport express looks like im on the 7am plane friday morning :)

hey just to let you guys know i went in today qued from 8.30am got ticket number 4 a very nice lady and she said i could pick up my pport 2moro evening also didnt charge me any extra as i had put it threw pport express looks like im on the 7am plane friday morning :)

Thats brilliant, I'd completely missed that you'd put it through passport express first. Passport Express returns will be dealt with as quickly as possible, because they have already been through the system.

mmcn90 wrote: »

Thats brilliant, I'd completely missed that you'd put it through passport express first. Passport Express returns will be dealt with as quickly as possible, because they have already been through the system.

Hey yeah after posting last nite I realised that it could be quicker as it was on the system honestly couldn't believe it's all sorted now and to top it off I just finished up in work so officially on holidays :) thanks for the advice pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Dewie wrote: »
    Yes the website seems to be down.

It was fine early this morning. My application status was only at 'registered' stage after 8 working days out of 10 (also passport express).

Anyway, if I were you I'd be more worried about how long it takes for the Garda vetting process to be completed.

They arrived today. 2 days late - not bad really.
    The Garda vetting thing is monstrous - I have to get clearances from abroad first, needed copies of the passport for that. Looong process.

They arrived today. 2 days late - not bad really.
    The Garda vetting thing is monstrous - I have to get clearances from abroad first, needed copies of the passport for that. Looong process.

Its not actually late either, Passport Express guarantees it will arrive at the Passport office the day after you submit it, then its 10 working days to process it. It doesn't say it will be at your house in 10 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Does anyone know how often the tracking status website updates?

Application was received 9 working days ago using Passport Express but is still at the same status since 06/07

Have flights booked for Aug 4th so not panicking just yet

Status: Application No. xxxxxxxxxxxx. Received on 06/07/2012 and has been registered.
    Issue Date: 19/07/2012
    Website Last Updated: 19/07/2012 at 7:45

You will have it Monday Tuesday at the latest the web is updated every 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xxbabydollxx

Hi Guys,
    I am in a pickle. I am due to fly on the morning of the 8th August. I only realised 2 days ago that my passport expired a few weeks ago(booked flights months back).
    After the whole having to get photos taken, go to Garda stn etc I am ready to send off the passport today. I am in Dublin so I was in two minds whether to go to the passport office today in person or just passport express it.
    No chance of getting through by phone so I emailed them and this was the advice:
    "Passport Express is currently taking 13 working days to process due to the large volume on hands at present. I would suggest you apply by Passport Express and if necessary you can later on change it to the Priority Service by payment of an extra fee. You should sent it off today and we shall receive it tomorrow."

So there is a backlog. Great. I then emailed again asking if the passport office will contact me if I need to upgrade to the priority service(hand over more dough basically) and if I would be better off going to the Passport Office. She advised me against going to the passport office in person as this takes longer - What? So do I just have to send it and hope for the best?? Any advice would be great :D

In the meantime i'll just be sweating here.....

Hi Guys,
    I am in a pickle. I am due to fly on the morning of the 8th August. I only realised 2 days ago that my passport expired a few weeks ago(booked flights months back).
    After the whole having to get photos taken, go to Garda stn etc I am ready to send off the passport today. I am in Dublin so I was in two minds whether to go to the passport office today in person or just passport express it.
    No chance of getting through by phone so I emailed them and this was the advice:
    "Passport Express is currently taking 13 working days to process due to the large volume on hands at present. I would suggest you apply by Passport Express and if necessary you can later on change it to the Priority Service by payment of an extra fee. You should sent it off today and we shall receive it tomorrow."

So there is a backlog. Great. I then emailed again asking if the passport office will contact me if I need to upgrade to the priority service(hand over more dough basically) and if I would be better off going to the Passport Office. She advised me against going to the passport office in person as this takes longer - What? So do I just have to send it and hope for the best?? Any advice would be great :D

In the meantime i'll just be sweating here.....

Hey send in Pport express then if it's not out 2 days before you fly contact or go in to the Pport office and u can collect it there I was in there yday flying at 7am in the morning and I have my Pport they look after passport express issues faster and no extra payment this way so it's a win win you will be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xxbabydollxx

You have literally made my day - thanks for the advice! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

You will have it Monday Tuesday at the latest the web is updated every 5 hours

Looks like it's updated every 6 hours

There's a big backlog at the moment folks so if your PP is past the issue date give them a ring and say you're travelling soon and it will be prioritised.

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting us know, PX seems to be running at 12/13 working days (don't quote me on that)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement