Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help!

Options
  • 22-03-2010 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi all,

we're about to get the bathroom re-tiled etc and i want to stick in an extractor fan. my bro was saying i'll need an isolating switch..do i? can it be done without one if im doing it in my own house?

i also want to wire it so as i can switch it on separately from the bathroom lights. can anyone walk through this please. i currently have 2 switches outside bathroom, one for landing lights other for bathroom. im thinking if i replace the two switches with 3, i could take supply from one of those switches? i also know it needs a neutral wire and wire to switch it on.

apologies for being so long winded! cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

If you use the same supply as the bathroom light switch and put another switch in line after the light switch (a ceiling pull cord maybe) then you have a switch on the fan and it is interlocked that it cannot operate unless the light is on also. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i usually isolate all poles of the supply for the fan(either 2 or 3)

a pull cord can be used as 'isolator' long as it has on/off indication

fan be wired from bathroom light fitting through an additional isolator basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

petev wrote: »
    hi all,

we're about to get the bathroom re-tiled etc and i want to stick in an extractor fan. my bro was saying i'll need an isolating switch..do i? can it be done without one if im doing it in my own house?

i also want to wire it so as i can switch it on separately from the bathroom lights. can anyone walk through this please. i currently have 2 switches outside bathroom, one for landing lights other for bathroom. im thinking if i replace the two switches with 3, i could take supply from one of those switches? i also know it needs a neutral wire and wire to switch it on.

apologies for being so long winded! cheers

You really should put the proper 3 pole isolating switch outside bathroom door, usually up near the ceiling. You can put 3 gang switch outside bathroom like you suggested, and the wiring from the extra switch goes to the 3 pole isolator (a switched and permanent live), and also a neutral from bathroom light fitting goes to the isolator also, then wire from isolator to fan. Its a sparks job really which is what i would suggest. I always wire the fans for the timed ones even if a timed one is not going in. Timed ones continue to run for a minute or 2 after you switch the fan off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 petev

cheers for the help lads..my neighbours nephew is sparks apprentice so think im gona get him in to do it. thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

petev wrote: »
    cheers for the help lads..my neighbours nephew is sparks apprentice so think im gona get him in to do it. thanks again!

Yes he will know what to do with it, Since your doing bathroom up you may as well do it right,

• Advertisement
Advertisement