Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the Garda on strike?

• 22-03-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭

reason I ask, I stopped at a red light this morning then saw there was nothing coming so decided to drive on, I was fully gone through the red light when I spotted a garda car coming. I slowly reversed backwards and looked back at the Garda car, they were laughing.
    Just wondering are they on strike, I have a feeling it just looked comical, me reversing backwards with a butter wouldn't melt look.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lol..
    this won't go well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The gardai are currently on 'withdrawal of goodwill'
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0322/pay.html

Obviously laughing their a*ses off at you doesn't come under "goodwill" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Funny-Horse-animal-planet-3294859-600-401.jpg

Clippity Clop ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

peasant wrote: »
    The gardai are currently on 'withdrawal of goodwill'
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0322/pay.html

Obviously laughing their a*ses off at you doesn't come under "goodwill" :D

I was delighted with their goodwill, I've never been more guilty of a road traffic offence in my life. I was fully stopped then decided to drive on, no idea why, I was not in a hurry, just got the urge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think you just got lucky and caught them on a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Id say they just thought your sheepish reversing was funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Ah sure they're only human (for the most part) nice to actually hear stories like that, I'd say if you had gone on they'd have stopped you.

"They will however continue to use their own cars for duty - gardaí are paid a mileage allowance for this."

Do many guards use their own car for duty ? I remember years back being pulled over by guards in a C reg Vento one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ljohnson

of course not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

not in that way. If a guard has to attend something like a training course etc on the other side of the city or down the country, then they get mileage.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, was amazed when the Vento pulled me, he had the blue light in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Red_Light_Camera1.jpg

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!?!? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

RoverJames wrote: »
    Do many guards use their own car for duty ?

...not uncommon in rural areas for Gardai to use their own cars. I've seen one using the 'hairdryer' from his own 406........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...not uncommon in rural areas for Gardai to use their own cars. I've seen one using the 'hairdryer' from his own 406........

Hmmm... this just seems to open a legal can of worms. If a Garda uses his/her car in the line of duty and is involved in a collision, the state cannot cover this (not a state car), so it must be private insurance. Surely the insurance company would find an "out" clause in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If they have to travel to court on their own time (or on work time) it is only right that they get mileage allowance for this. I do in my job, why should it be any different for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If they have to travel to court on their own time (or on work time) it is only right that they get mileage allowance for this. I do in my job, why should it be any different for them?

There's no reason not to get mileage allowance. My question was around the use of their personal car for more "active" duties - like speed trapping. Say for example, the speeding driver doesn't stop. Does the Garda purse the offending driver in his personal car? (at high-speed?) I'd imagine private insurance would run a mile from this scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought the state insured Guards to drive any vehicle they had a licence for in line of their duty? e.g. why they can drive impounded cars away, etc.

One of the members will likely know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Gardai are not allowed to use their personal cehicles while on duty unless its extreme circumstances. Generally not though.

As for driving S.41 cars away, thats pretty much stopped now. we order recovery every time a car is siezed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

MYOB wrote: »
    I thought the state insured Guards to drive any vehicle they had a licence for in line of their duty? e.g. why they can drive impounded cars away, etc.

One of the members will likely know for sure.

Yes the State covers the insurance while a Garda is on duty and if he/she is driving their own car or someone elses. However permission has to given first if the Garda has to drive their own car. Its a different story for the Section 41s.

Down the country we still drive the 41s back to the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Theta wrote: »
    Id say they just thought your sheepish reversing was funny!
    Some Gardai are human, anyone would laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Some Gardai are human, anyone would laugh

Thats what im saying, Thinking about it in my head it looks comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was comical, I was gone past the traffic light when I spotted them in the rear view mirror, they fact that I was stopped at the red light and then decided to drive on must have had them scratching their heads for a minute, thankfully they saw the funny side, I was too guilty if there is such a thing:)

Advertisement