Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing to insulated slabs

• 22-03-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,
    we're building a new home at the minute and we've insulated
    all external walls with the insulated plasterboard. My questions is
    how will I be able to fix items like curtain poles etc to the external walls.

I know I'll have to drill into the wall and use longer screws etc, but what plugs should i use. should the plugs be pushed in as far as the wall or just stay flush with the slab ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I put extra timber over my windows to carry curtain poles, 7 inch board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

If the item is really heavy you may need to add a flush batten fixed to the wall and cut the insulation round it, this is better done before you add the boards and your airtightness barrier/skim. (Also a good idea do this for skirting around the bottom of the walls and for sockets.)

If you've already put the boards on then it depends on the item, you may need to cut in a batten and fix that to to the wall (then reseal) or add a flat wooden plate to spread the load. I found the best fixings for this were the nylon frame fixings.

Good luck with it

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

i discovered this method a few years back and it will hold up anything.put a 8 by 150 express nail into wall put ordinary wallplug into express nail.this works for even the heaviest rad or flat screen telly or whatever.ps an express nail can also be called a compression anchor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Holy smoke s&p have never heard of that being done before. do you put a red raw plug into the ancohor then? Are you absolutly certain the plug wont eventually pull out of the anchor? Correct me if I am wrong. You know better than me.

Holy smoke s&p have never heard of that being done before. do you put a red raw plug into the ancohor then? Are you absolutly certain the plug wont eventually pull out of the anchor? Correct me if I am wrong. You know better than me.
    use a brown plug it should last as long as an ordinary hole plug combination i have done this for years.its bad news taking insulation off the back of slabs and putting in grounds, if putting up somthing with holes close together ie curtain pole bracket only use one express nail it will be plenty strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I must try that sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

i discovered this method a few years back and it will hold up anything.put a 8 by 150 express nail into wall put ordinary wallplug into express nail.this works for even the heaviest rad or flat screen telly or whatever.ps an express nail can also be called a compression anchor

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HobNob

so S&P,

is that drill a hole with a size 8 drill bit (or size 9) through the slab and into the wall,
    then put the plug around the express nail (8 X150) and hammer through the curtain pole support, and i should only need one.

HobNob wrote: »
    so S&P,

is that drill a hole with a size 8 drill bit (or size 9) through the slab and into the wall,
    then put the plug around the express nail (8 X150) and hammer through the curtain pole support, and i should only need one.
    drill a 8mm hole through plasterboard into wall behind then hammer in express nail flush.express nails are hollow so just hammer in brown plug.the plug is tight but is all the better for that.if u cant get plug in all the way just snip off once its in a good bit it will be grand.ps its important to but the slot in exp nail to the side not top or bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HobNob

Thanks for that S&P10, and thanks also for the tip about leaving the slot to the side. Is 150 a bit long though ?

• Advertisement

HobNob wrote: »
    Thanks for that S&P10, and thanks also for the tip about leaving the slot to the side. Is 150 a bit long though ?
    use the lenght of exp nail that will catch the block well,it will depend on the thickness of insulation 150 is as long as you can buy thats why i used that example

Advertisement