Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Friendly Match*** Tuesday 30th March 7.30 St Colmcilles vs TFI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Meeting at 7.30

Lads, I'm just in from London, so apologies if anyone PMd me or texted me over the last couple of days, and thanks to anyone who made phonecalls etc.

See you all there later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Call Me Jimmy aka Chris - in. Fit as a really knackered fiddler but I don't expect much if any play time. Seeyas there!

Be there for 7:30!

I can't emphasise this enough, I'll be wanting to talk to everyone before the match, collect money, get name tags made up for everyone etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Oh crap des. you need the money tonight? I thought that wasnt for a couple of weeks? or is it just for officials etc for the one game?

Pitch and refs cost tonight, I'll also be taking money from some people who have already said they'll be definitely in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Des my mate is still coming up tonight but you don't have him on the list, just so you dont end up up there with one more person than your expecting...

Cheers Cill, I added him.

Anyone fancy playing in goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's €5 tonight then?

Yeah, a fiver each to cover the costs of the pitch rent and the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Des wrote: »

I'll bring gloves and do a half in nets if you're stuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Des wrote: »

Also you still have me listed as In but I've done my groin in so I'm not playing.

I'll be up to watch, from the heated interior of the car though... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just in the door now, firstly major thanks to Des for the lift home, saved me seeping on Dublin Bus the way home. There's a pint in it for you whenever we meet in pub surroundings.

Great to get the chance to meet all who turned up for Boardeaux both old and new. Thanks to the the lads from last season too who were sound to all us newbies.

The match was a decent game, we ended up losing 3-0 but I don't think the scoreboard reflects how we performed. the teams were fairly evenly matched for the most part. We were definitely good enough to score on the night and the goals we conceded were just lapses in concentration really. Good outing for lads who only knew each other on here beforehand. Hopefully the more games played the more the team will gel.

I [Paul] played Centre Half with Martin for the first half and some of the second. Fair play to Martin who was always talking to me through the game re positioning and other stuff, appreciate it. My own performance I'm a bit disappointed with, poor. Dream debut it was not giving away a cheap peno on half time when I got turned, great save by the keeper though. Sloppy back pass for their 3rd and a couple of moments of indecision and poor decision. Overall, I think I can improve a lot on it.

In any case, delighted to get the chance to play with Boardeaux whatever happens and hopefully the team can kick on from here and win this league. Get the losses out of the way early :pac:

Again, major thanks to Des for the lift home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

cson wrote: »

The match was a decent game, we ended up losing 3-0 but I don't think the scoreboard reflects how we performed. the teams were fairly evenly matched for the most part. We were definitely good enough to score on the night and the goals we conceded were just lapses in concentration really. Good outing for lads who only knew each other on here beforehand. Hopefully the more games played the more the team will gel.

I [Paul] played Centre Half with Martin for the first half and some of the second. Fair play to Martin who was always talking to me through the game re positioning and other stuff, appreciate it. My own performance I'm a bit disappointed with, poor. Dream debut it was not giving away a cheap peno on half time when I got turned, great save by the keeper though. Sloppy back pass for their 3rd and a couple of moments of indecision and poor decision. Overall, I think I can improve a lot on it.

i also felt the scoreline didnt reflect the performance we missed some sitters im gna accept weather as the principle reason haha :P as it was atrocious :(

i wouldnt dwell on the 2 mistakes that led to the 2nd and 3rd goals and even though im new i was impressed with the quality of a few of the lads and the level of passing was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh well done to all the new lads, some excellent performances there and the standard of new lads across the board was for me the highest we've had in any pre-season period so it's very encouraging.

On a wild night like that all you can do is say fair play for any positives and write off a lot of mistakes, loose passes etc. down to the weather. Looking back on it, the amount of football we managed to play even without knowing each other well and in that weather bodes well. But hopefully the next friendly gives everyone a chance to show what role they can play in this team in normal conditions (as before the match, emphasis is on contribution to the team not individual performances).

cson, don't focus on the negatives, you did a lot right in tricky conditions and it takes a bit of time to settle into a new setup.

Yeh, the scoreline definitely flattered them, we missed a few good opportunities (missed a sitter myself) but this wasn't about the scoreline, it was about starting the process of fitting the new squad together, and you can't but be encouraged by some of the great passing moves and chances we made.

Good night's work, but it's the first of around 22 nights ahead on this journey and we're looking well equipped.

Jules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 andrew71

Cheers for the game lads, and the lend of a couple of players. We were a bit shoestring tonight. Some last minute absentees, a late arrival and an injury caused problems. Thanks to the lads who filled in, much appreciated.

Good game all the same, shame about the weather and conditions which really didn't help either team I think. It's been a while since we managed to beat you so I suppose it was coming.

Absolutely fantastic penalty save ... which the ref missed and blew up as I was about to slam home the rebound :D

Hopefully we can do it again before the season starts. Thanks again.

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

andrew71 wrote: »
    Cheers for the game lads, and the lend of a couple of players. We were a bit shoestring tonight. Some last minute absentees, a late arrival and an injury caused problems. Thanks to the lads who filled in, much appreciated.

Good game all the same, shame about the weather and conditions which really didn't help either team I think. It's been a while since we managed to beat you so I suppose it was coming.

Absolutely fantastic penalty save ... which the ref missed and blew up as I was about to slam home the rebound :D

Hopefully we can do it again before the season starts. Thanks again.

Andrew

True and true Andy - we've robbed you a couple of times in the past so it was due :D. I also saw the fantastic save from Michael so you should've been allowed slam it home.

Thanks for the game, they're always well-balanced and competitive with good football being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Hey guys, Glenn here.

Delighted to get the opportunity to come down here tonight. Didn't mind so much playing for TFI, in this circumstance a run out is a run out. Thought my first touch was dire tonight, part rusty and partly down to the weather. Felt that I did okay by enlarge on the left wing for TFI and hoping to get a run out with Boardeaux next week. I don't mind too much playing left back or left wing.

Overall it was a close game and fair play to the lads for taking their chances when presented. TFI's goalkeeper was safe as a house and instills great confidence in their back four. Hopefully that's as bad as the weather will ever be, it can't get too much worse than that surely! Thanks again to Keith who was kind enough to bring me out and then take me back to Tallaght, otherwise I'd have been stranded.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Thanks again to Keith who was kind enough to bring me out and then take me back to Tallaght, otherwise I'd have been stranded.

ye cheers for that mate the lift was handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Well done to the lads who came out in simply atrocious weather. That's the worst weather I've played a game in in years. The standard was very high, we usual get the odd no-hoper or two but everyone out there tonight could at least kick a ball. Some promising performances and I'm sure the lads who didn't get much of a run or a chance to impress will have time next week.

Paul, don't worry about it dude. Just buy yourself a pair of astro runners before you slip and kill yourself :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A good performance, I wouldnt get too hung up on the result. We've another friendly next week and another chance to impress.

Also lads.. shooting isn't a proper warm up:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so how many new players had we?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think about 10 in all Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

so how many new players had we?

About 10 or so and a new goalie for the first half, Clay will be worried about his place on the team. The new keeper saved a penalty and everything....

emc2 wrote: »
    About 10 or so and a new goalie for the first half, Clay will be worried about his place on the team. The new keeper saved a penalty and everything....
    Apparently :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 keith MAC

Hey lads, thanks for the invite down....i would agree with all before, really tough weather conditions so any sort of decent display,was about the best anyone could hope for. Some of us played for both teams (but as someone said to me after the game, they didn't realise some did:) (thats how much of an impression i made!)

I will be there next week if the invitation is still open.....

And yes 3 nil didnt reflect overall play......with most people not knowing each other and people switching positions every couple of minutes it was going to be hard to gel, that said overall good nights work!

see you next week....

Keith

Will you be posting any in-depth feedback Des? :)

We normally don't discuss the performance of individuals on the board. Don't think this public forum is the place for that. Des will have a word with individual players next week I'm sure.

Fair enough, just excited :)

Voltwad wrote: »
    Fair enough, just excited :)

No worries, good to see enthusiasm!

• Advertisement

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    We normally don't discuss the performance of individuals on the board. Don't think this public forum is the place for that. Des will have a word with individual players next week I'm sure.

i wouldnt mind feedback if there was a great performance by the team :P makes ya feel better about the win haha

Advertisement