Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing the back hearth

• 22-03-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I recently removed my gas fire from an original fireplace but in doing so found that the back hearth had been broken. There are only parts of the original back hearth remaining. My intentions are to turn the fireplace into an open fire. Can anyone tell me how easy is it to replace the back hearth, could I do it myself and how would I go about replacing it? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

It's not too difficult a job, but you will need to take out the fireplace.
    first you need to know what size yours is for when you go to buy one.They come in 2 sizes 16 inch and 18 inch. you can check the size by measuring across the opening of yours. it just sits in place and are usually packed with sand behind them which both holds and disipates the heat of the fire while also being fireproof. You will need to refill it with sand once fitted in place. then just close of the top and sides using fire cement. Refit the fireplace and again dress off the sides with fire cement. Allow to dry for a few days and it should be fine. good look with it.

Advertisement