Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't process left / right directions!! :(

• 22-03-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I have a real problem telling my left from my right when someone is giving me directions.

With my test coming up I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar and what they did to overcome the problem.

I was thinking about putting a small L on the Dash so I would not need to think when the instructor / tester says take the next left / right!

Would there be a problem with this in the test?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kneejerk wrote: »
    I have a real problem telling my left from my right when someone is giving me directions.

With my test coming up I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar and what they did to overcome the problem.

I was thinking about putting a small L on the Dash so I would not need to think when the instructor / tester says take the next left / right!

Would there be a problem with this in the test?

There should already be a big L on the windscreen on your left:)
    If the directions aren't clear you can ask the tester to say them again. Generally they will also make a hand gesture when giving you a direction! Just relax about it, it's not even worth worrying about tbh.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Ha! You know I never even thought of using the L plate as a reference point! I will give it a go from now on and see if that does the trick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

If you look at your LEFT hand with your fingers extended and your thumb pointed outwards it looks like an 'L' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

of course you know your left from your right, your just panicking that's what it is. you're probably thinking too much of anything. happened to me when i was just starting to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My friend is the exact same as you! She can't tell left from right - she doesn't know which is which so when she did her test she just told the tester and he indicated with his hand when he was give a direction:) Don't worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

erwinvr101 wrote: »
    of course you know your left from your right, your just panicking that's what it is.

Just to point out, left/right confusion affects about 15% of people. It can be a symptom of dyslexia, but can also occur in people who don't suffer from it. An interesting short read here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

A friend of mine has the exact same problem. For the purpose of driving he resolved it by focusing on the fact that he is sitting in the drivers, i.e. the right hand seat and is always 'right', by way of a mental strategy. He also asked the tester to make a hand gesture when giving directions and there was no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I have the exact same problem and was told to just let the tester know beforehand.

On my test.. I forgot to let the tester know but he was good at giving directions as he mentioned the direction and where it led. (e.g take the 3rd left at the roundabout ahead.. this will lead you down Pearse Road by Martin Reilly Motors).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Don't worry, I drove past the road I was supposed to turn into in my test, and still passed easily. The tester just chuckled and then gave me a new direction (in plenty of time!). From what I hear, mistakes like this happen all the time eg. taking the wrong turn, turning right when told to turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Someone I know has the same problem - she sat her driving test with a big L and R written in marker on each hand - and passed. My problem is my feet don't seem connected to the rest of my body when I drive, nearly knocked down the tree outside my house just moving the car the other day...

• Advertisement
Advertisement