Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is more fuel efficient diesel 1.6 or 2L

• 22-03-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    Not very into cars so apologies if this is a stupid or obvious question. I need a fuel efficient car. Am I better to look for a 1.5/1.6 litre diesel or a 1.9/2.0L diesel?

I'm thinking about a second-hand Peugot 407, Citroen C5 or similar. Probably around 2006. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nchch

bump:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You could try the parkers website for technical details like MPG of the car you are looking at.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/#

But really it depends on the car. You can't go by engine size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

www.parkers.co.uk will give you combined figures.

General rule of thumb though - a heavy car can often be less fuel efficient with a smaller engine. Also depends on your type of driving. If you're driving around town a lot for example, a smaller engine will be a lot more stressed dragging the car up to speed more often. However once there it will probably be more efficient...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

And also keep in mind that the most fuel efficient car isn't always the most cost effective. Lots of people pay big bucks for a fuel efficient car that will never work out as cheap as buying a thirstier but cheaper car.

What type of mileage do you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

just my 2 cent worth but i'd stay clear of the 407 for the following reasons:

1) car is very "giddy" on the road. By that i mean it feels light as if it does not stick to the road

2) If car has a dealer service history and you intend keeping that going be prepared to have a good service budget in place. when things go wrong they aint cheap and neither is a full service but again thats dealer.

3) The beeping.....oh dear god the beeping.....the damn car has so many warning beeps it could do your nut in!!!!

4) Its a french car designed mainly for the european market and when converting car over they left the hand break on the left handside of gear stick instead of moving it also. A small complaint but i find it annoying!!!

5) In answer to your qustion re fuel efficency yes the wife finds the 1.6hdi 407 very good and nippy it's 110bhp.

She'd defo buy another I defo would not but then again she does not pay the bills or do the leg work on it :rolleyes:

I know the shape is a love or hate thing with people. I now they are cheap enough but would imagine it is due a new model soon so that might effect the price of the old ones.

Cant comment on the c5 as i never owned one. Worth doing research on the year your looking at though as i remember considering one before i bought my skoda and i know certain years gave particularly expensive problems.

Found www.honestjohn.co.uk handy but remember most things on it pertain to problems people had as opposed to great experiences with a vehicle.

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/ might help also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

I have a c4 1.6 hdi and it is rubbish around town.I regularly get low 30s mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

vandriver wrote: »
    I have a c4 1.6 hdi and it is rubbish around town.I regularly get low 30s mpg.
    :eek:
    Might sound bad but very few cars will better that around town. I presume short start stop driving??

Nothing wrong with low 30s around town, think about it, average speed of less than 20 miles an hour and not covering much distance compared to cruising at 70 on a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

I always thought it was bad but yes it is multiple very short journeys at an average of 11 mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

vandriver wrote: »
    I always thought it was bad but yes it is multiple very short journeys at an average of 11 mph.

That's great for the trips it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Real world driving the 2l would probably return similiar if not better returns than a 1.6l diesel, due to better torque figures.

I remember watching Top Gear once and they did a piece on small cars.

Clarkson had a 1.4 diesel Fabia
    The other two lads had 1.2-1.4 petrol engines.

Clarkson was the first to fill up because he had to work it harder than the petrol cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would take any of their experiments with more than a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

racso1975 wrote: »
    just my 2 cent worth but i'd stay clear of the 407 for the following reasons:

1) car is very "giddy" on the road. By that i mean it feels light as if it does not stick to the road

2) If car has a dealer service history and you intend keeping that going be prepared to have a good service budget in place. when things go wrong they aint cheap and neither is a full service but again thats dealer.

3) The beeping.....oh dear god the beeping.....the damn car has so many warning beeps it could do your nut in!!!!

4) Its a french car designed mainly for the european market and when converting car over they left the hand break on the left handside of gear stick instead of moving it also. A small complaint but i find it annoying!!!

5) In answer to your qustion re fuel efficency yes the wife finds the 1.6hdi 407 very good and nippy it's 110bhp.

She'd defo buy another I defo would not but then again she does not pay the bills or do the leg work on it :rolleyes:

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/ might help also

I'm worried about the state of your marriage. Seem to be taking a lot of angst out on the poor old 407;)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

trust me i'm really thinking it would be cheaper to trade the wife then then that car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

My 407 1.6 hdi averages around 50-52 mpg,The 20 hdi usally averages
    around 42-46 mpg but as said above the are a heavy car and as above
    they do beep for everything.
    e.g. boot open..it beeps... handbrake pulled alittle on takeoff...it beeps
    bulb blown...it beeps etc
    like alot of modern car today there are sensors for everything which have good points and bad points...:)

Things to be aware of on the 407's
    lower balljoints may need replacment @every 30-40kish due to water ingress.
    dpf may need attention@ around 100kish with an additive top up.
    Dual mass flywheels can give trouble around 100-130kish....but dpf's and dmf's are also causing alot of grief on vw's,toyota etc nowadays... :eek:
    So much for Modern Technology...:rolleyes:

But if we knew every problem with every make and model of car we'd be going around on bicycles....:D

Advertisement