Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent Fees?

Options
  • 22-03-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I'm considering selling a second property, located in Co. Wexford.
    I began calling Estate Agents in Gorey/Wexford to establish what each charge in terms of:

up-front fees
    non-refundable costs
    % charge upon successful sale

So far I got

Sherry Fitz - €400 up-front costs
    - 2.5% of sale price

Kehoe & Assoc. - €200 up-front costs
    - 3.0% of sale price

Before I go calling anymore agencies... do you know who is charging what?
    Maybe you can post here to help me narrow down the choices.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

I haggled from €300+vat to €220+vat for up front advertising costs and %of saleprice from 1.5% down to 1% from an EA in Dublin

Its not only buying where you can haggle prices!!

No way would I pay 2% or above of sale price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I tried haggling but nobody would drop below 1.5% and I paid €350 up front for advertising/marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

anyone else any idea on estate agent fees - I'm trying to sell and the best I can get is 1.8% of house price plus I pay for all the advertising even though their name is on it and they could well get referrals :mad:

I suggested to them 1% plus VAT plus 50/50 for advertising. If they get the agreed price I'd give them the other 50% of the advertising costs. They laughed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    anyone else any idea on estate agent fees - I'm trying to sell and the best I can get is 1.8% of house price plus I pay for all the advertising even though their name is on it and they could well get referrals :mad:

I suggested to them 1% plus VAT plus 50/50 for advertising. If they get the agreed price I'd give them the other 50% of the advertising costs. They laughed at me.

Of course their name is on the advertising, they're advertising your house and want people to call them?? :confused: I really don't understand what your problem is with that?

1.8% of the sale price isn't bad either. Had you haggled that down from something. TBH none of it sounds bad or anything out of the ordinary. The only other option you have is selling it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Friend of mine recently sold their house near Galway, they agreed to pay advertising costs plus 2.5% if they got sale agreed within 6 weeks, or 1.5 if it took longer. A good incentive for the estate agent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

Tbh I'd probably laugh at you too. Why would you expect an EA to pay half of your advertising costs??? EA's don't get paid a penny unless they sell your house - but you expect them to just fork out €200ish?? Imagine if they did that for every property on their books? You obviously don't really get how this process works...

OP those fees sound very high to me. Try and get an EA thats office is as close to the subject property as possible as high fees can often be taking into account costs of travelling for appointments etc. Or if they think the property will be a hard sell they'll just slap a huge fee onto it

silja wrote: »
    Friend of mine recently sold their house near Galway, they agreed to pay advertising costs plus 2.5% if they got sale agreed within 6 weeks, or 1.5 if it took longer. A good incentive for the estate agent!

good idea - i'll try that - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I sold a house in Galway City recently through a local EA.

Fees were 1% + VAT + advertising.

I got it down to 1.05% of the house price (weird figure I know) plus I'd pay for advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Best quotes I could get
    Sherry Fitz 2%+VAT and advertising of €1000
    Lisney 1.5%+VAT and advertising of €700
    Caldwell Banker 1.5% including VAT and advertising of €700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kmick wrote: »
    Best quotes I could get
    Sherry Fitz 2%+VAT and advertising of €1000
    Lisney 1.5%+VAT and advertising of €700
    Caldwell Banker 1.5% including VAT and advertising of €700
    Realise that most of the advertising money goes to the newspapers / websites, so isn't really part of the fee.

However, as estate agents own some of the websites, they profit indirectly.

Advertisement