Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ras Lumni

• 22-03-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Just checked the website for this and it appears that there ia s seperate a4 race in this one.....big numbers I expect. Anyone do it last year?...is it closer to Carraigaline or Bohermeen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Usually its a sprinters race so that should tell you all you need to know. Rolling course but nothing on it of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I did it last year (and crashed out) but it was a predominantly flat course. This year the course has changed as you probably already know, I did a quick recce of it during the week and it is grand. As Quigs said, a rolling course with some minor up and downs but nothing that will be noticed too much when riding along in a bunch. The road out of Caherconlish over to Ballyneety is the only real rough section, twisty and generally difficult to get any momentum going if you know what I mean. Probably an ideal spot for a break as you won't be seen! The road back in towards Caherconlish at the other side of the circuit is very good surface, straight and mainly flat with a minor drag or two. I can certainly see a big bunch sprint happening! I will be doing another practice run on the circuit before the big day on Sunday! Looking forward to it, it should be good!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/caherconlsih%2c%20limerick/773126842527859617

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

So do anyone know the details to this race?

I had a look at their website, feck all on it except to say that 'More to follow'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

So do anyone know the details to this race?

I had a look at their website, feck all on it except to say that 'More to follow'.

try here http://www.limerickcc.com/?p=233

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

done the course today, from cahercolish to main road at ballyneety is lumpy and crappy surface, from ballyneety to turn off at petrol station is ok, from petrol station to hebertstown is fast and good surface, last 5k on main road back to caherconlish is flattish but a bit exposed.

best of luck to anyone doing it tomorrow

• Advertisement

Did anyone else do this today? Great race, very enjoyable I have to say...no results for me but I just found it great fun (although very tough fun with a ridiculously high HR average! Some good attacks which I was happy with but didn't end up in the winning one which was unfortunate)...great weather too and a good turn out. Nice one! :D

A1/A2 Race results (I think anyway :P):

1 Andrew Ahern Dan Morrissey
    2 Sean Lacey The Edge Racing
    3 Michael Storan West Clare CC
    4 Paul Giblin Galway Bay
    5 Keith Gater Comeragh CC
    6 Patrick Clarke Castlebar CC
    7 Richard Hooton Kanturk
    8 Jarlath Hassett West Clare CC
    9 Siobhan Horgan E.S.G.L
    10 Kevin Shelly Dan Morrissey

A3
    1 Brendan McLoughlin Blarney CC
    2 Willie Curtin Kanturk Town
    3 Pat Ahern St. Finbarrs
    4 John Murphy Fermoy
    5 Gerhard Hack Western Lakes
    6 Frank Doyle Fermoy CC

A4
    1 Brian Murphy Western Lakes
    2 Brian Hart Limerick CC
    3 Eoin Ryan Swords CC
    4 Patrick Creen Earl Of Desmond
    5 Shane O Donoghue Comeragh CC
    6 David Queally West Clare CC

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Yep I did this to day with a few club mates. Did the A4 race on the second lap some dope came straight across my front wheel and wiped me out . That was me lying in the middle of the road on the hill section . Wouldn't mind but I was going well , bike helmet cracked lots of road rash . Thats the way it goes I guess .

Thanks to everyone from Limerick CC who came to my aide .

henboy wrote: »

I believe I saw your your bike and cracked helmet in the back of my mums car! Jesus, glad to hear you are alright judging by the condition of that stuff! Mad stuff :eek:

I believe I saw your your bike and cracked helmet in the back of my mums car! Jesus, glad to hear you are alright judging by the condition of that stuff! Mad stuff :eek:

Mad stuff is right . Have to say the people who came to my aide couldn't do enough for me . Thanks to one and all . Very much appreciated

Unlucky Henboy. At least you walked away from it, with some of the crashes so far this season thats a bit of a result in itself. As I was saying to one of your clubmates recently, with racing you are going to crash, it's just a question of when and how hard (and indeed how expensive). Hopefully you will be up and running again in no time.

By the way, what kind of helmet were you wearing ?

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Unlucky Henboy. At least you walked away from it, with some of the crashes so far this season thats a bit of a result in itself. As I was saying to one of your clubmates recently, with racing you are going to crash, it's just a question of when and how hard (and indeed how expensive). Hopefully you will be up and running again in no time.

By the way, what kind of helmet were you wearing ?

Thanks Quigs - helmet is giro must see if I can send it back have it around 12 months.

I cracked a Giro Monza myself at xmas, ok the smash was enough to break 5 teeth as well, but I still thought the helmet could have done a lot better. I am trying out a Bell Array now. Your one did it's job anyway for you today at least. Hopefully the bike escaped unscathed as well. Once you are finished licking your wounds after a crash, pulling out the wallet to put the damage to the bike right is nearly more painful !

At least you were going well before it happened, so that will be confidence building and the trip will not have been wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

fair play to vinnie gleeson who seemed to be delayed before the roll out of the a1/a2 race
    he was about a minute behind from the start and managed to get back into contact with the main group
    fab weather today

I punctured about 5 miles into the A4 race. I'd come too far and it was too early to pack so I finished the race on my own and made a training spin out of it. It's a pretty humiliating experience though, riding on your own a few minutes off the bunch. I wanted a sign on my back saying "I'm not this bad. Really".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@henboy- glad to hear you were not hurt.

Giro have a crash replacement programme where you can get a new helmet for half RRP. I have done this myself, you just send back the old one with proof of purchase and some details on the accident. As it can be difficult to get a cheque denominated in GBP include a note asking them to call you to take your credit card details. They will then call to take these and send you out a new one.

@Quigs- the helmets are designed to crack to dissipate energy. If you hit them substantially (an impact sufficient to break teeth would certainly count) you really need to replace them even if damage is not apparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Logging under my dads username.

Also did this today but after 10kms 3 riders went down in front of me and nowhere to go. Hip,thigh,knee elbow all now bloodied,strapped and sore :D.

No real damage to bike.Could be worse!!!!!!!!!!

Up to 10kms average was 36Km some pace.

Mad stuff is right . Have to say the people who came to my aide couldn't do enough for me . Thanks to one and all . Very much appreciated

No bother! She says it was nothing!!! Haha, is the bike alright? When we checked it briefly with the guy from your club/friend who came to collect it off us, it was only really the bars/shifters that looked to be seriously damaged...we also saw the helmet clearly cracked in more than one place...thank god you had that on! Best of luck recovering ;)

garminguy wrote: »
    fair play to vinnie gleeson who seemed to be delayed before the roll out of the a1/a2 race
    he was about a minute behind from the start and managed to get back into contact with the main group
    +1...I only found out about this afterwards! Savage stuff, do you know what the cause of the delay was?
    kerryscoob wrote: »

Thank god for that alright, as you said it could have been a lot worse! Were you in the A4 or A3 race?

Here are my stats for the A3 race (messed up the lap function!)

Duration: 01:53:44
    Distance: 74.7km
    Average Speed: 39.4km/h

14 yrs of age,15 in Oct.

So raced in the A4.

No bother! She says it was nothing!!! Haha, is the bike alright? When we checked it briefly with the guy from your club/friend who came to collect it off us, it was only really the bars/shifters that looked to be seriously damaged...we also saw the helmet clearly cracked in more than one place...thank god you had that on! Best of luck recovering ;)

+1...I only found out about this afterwards! Savage stuff, do you know what the cause of the delay was?

Thank god for that alright, as you said it could have been a lot worse! Were you in the A4 or A3 race?

Here are my stats for the A3 race (messed up the lap function!)

Duration: 01:53:44
    Distance: 74.7km
    Average Speed: 39.4km/h

Thanks Home Ballyhoura , I didn't get a chance to give the bike a good look over hopefully the frame is ok . The first thing that came to mind was i'm going to miss training tuesday night . Its mad

14 yrs of age,15 in Oct.

So raced in the A4.

Did you use a one day licence or an u-16 licence?
    I have a cousin who's going daft waiting for an u-16 race. If he'd known he could have raced in the A4 he'll go mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have been in A4 races with U-16s; I don't think there is any problem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

Logging under my dads username.

Also did this today but after 10kms 3 riders went down in front of me and nowhere to go. Hip,thigh,knee elbow all now bloodied,strapped and sore :D

Was that your dad who gave me a lift back to the start? I too was involved in that crash.

Two came down right in front of me. It happened so fast, I had nowhere to go but straight over them. I went outover my handle bars. Unfortunately I forgot my base layer today. I went 'commando', so to speak, just my jersey. I must have slid on the ground on my front. It now looks as thought I was attacked by a viscous cat, with long nails - me chest! As I drove the 1hr 40mins home my ribs got sorer and sorer. When I got home my wife who's a nurse, 'insisted' I get them x-rayed. I spent 4 hours in casualty in Kilkenny this evening, nothing broken, just bruised.

I'm high on painkillers now as I write this!

Yep I did this to day with a few club mates. Did the A4 race on the second lap some dope came straight across my front wheel and wiped me out . That was me lying in the middle of the road on the hill section . Wouldn't mind but I was going well , bike helmet cracked lots of road rash . Thats the way it goes I guess .

I passed you when I was getting a lift from 'my crash' back to the start. It looked really serious! They seemed to have you in the recovery position with 'foil blankets' over you. From what I could see you didn't seem to be moving, they were directing the traffic around you.

I also need a replacement helmet. I'll now see what the Limar replacement policy is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

There seems to have been quite a few crashes today.
    Nearly came down myself when the guy to my right pulled in to avoid a car but I had nowhere to move so he hit my handlebars and I in turn ended up hitting the handlebars of the guy to my left.
    A4 is fairly hairy at times, didn't seem quite as bad in A3 last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

hynesie wrote: »
    Nearly came down myself when the guy to my right pulled in to avoid a car but I had nowhere to move so he hit my handlebars and I in turn ended up hitting the handlebars of the guy to my left.

I'm only new to racing but this kind of thing really annoys me. It's totally unnecessary. You expect it in the last couple of km when people are aggressively vying for position, or with the odd rider making a proper dash to the front to do some work, but having the bunch packed tightly across a wiggly road part way into a race is just nuts.

The best advice I've received is just to make space for yourself so that you can accomodate other people's stupidity, or just stay nearer to the front.

I intended to do the two races in Balbriggan but ended up doing this one (long story but in essence drove all the way up to Balbriggan from KK and left the gear bag behind me!).

A lot of nervous cyclists in the bunch, but being the first A4 only race I've done so far, to be expected. A lot of crashes too, five I hear.

Out of the three races I've done so far, defintely found this being the easiest. My own problem is I couldn't get up to the front, particularly in the last 15/20km. I was mad to try a breakaway or something, for the craic if nothing else. From what I could see, if 4 or 5 lads tried a breakaway with 4 or 5km to go, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't have seen it out.

My stats from memory are 48km distance, 38.1km ave spd, 1hr 15min. My ave HR was very low (for me) at 147.

Henboy, are you from the Waterford Sporif CC. I hope you're feeling okay now, you did take a fair auld tumber. For a non-racing club, ye are not doing too bad at the races!!

Question: I'm having trouble maintaining my place in the bunch, even I get up to the front, minutes later I'm at the back again. Is this lack of concentration on my part, not holding on to someone's wheel tight enough, not experience/shrewd enough. Any advice much appreciated.

Question: I'm having trouble maintaining my place in the bunch, even I get up to the front, minutes later I'm at the back again. Is this lack of concentration on my part, not holding on to someone's wheel tight enough, not experience/shrewd enough. Any advice much appreciated.

Wear a slightly ripped and bloody tri club jersey. You'll find yourself in loads of space.

showry wrote: »
    Did you use a one day licence or an u-16 licence?

U-16 licence,my dad emailed the club during the week and reply was I couldn't but we went to Limerick signed on and no problem. In Banteer u-16s were also allowed out but I was like your cousin for that race.

"Was that your dad who gave me a lift back to the start? I too was involved in that crash."

Thats us, are you the vacuum man ;) hope you're feeling better today. Dressings changed this morning lot of swelling also.I wonder how the girl is this morning bit of a headache I'd say.

Henboy you definitely came out the worst in your argument with the road,sore today???

"Wear a slightly ripped and bloody tri club jersey"I think one of our fallers is now wearing a jersey of the above discription. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

:):):)...very good. I`m actually a triathlete as well and I`ve learned from experienced, NOT too wear the jersey when doing local races or even the larger regional races like yesterday...you(tirathletes) get blamed for everything....and a lot of it probaly justified in certain cases!!

@henboy....bike doesn`t look too bad in the pics..say that hand is sore this morning....as I said to you yesterday full marks for the ruby walsh impression!...your crash happened in front of me and you immediately rolled into a ball, aka a national hunt jockey, to protect yourself from the oncoming riders.

Good race yesterday. The A4 bunch was very twitchy...of the 5 or so crashes, I wonder how many of thses were caused by over zealous use of the brakes!!!!..it seems every 5 seconds the group slows down...with shouts of "break" etc....

As for the SWCC being a leisure club??, don`t be fooled by the name:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

Execellent race, very well organised and good to see seperate races for the A3 and A4's. Some A4's were saying it should have been 3 laps for them but I think if thats their feeling then they are in the wrong race and should join the A3's. 2 laps for A4's is exactly what beginners need.

rochefan wrote: »
    Execellent race, very well organised and good to see seperate races for the A3 and A4's.

Here, here on the above.
    Some A4's were saying it should have been 3 laps for them but I think if thats their feeling then they are in the wrong race and should join the A3's. 2 laps for A4's is exactly what beginners need.

I was one of the ones thinking that another lap would have been no harm. However that was on the basis it was A4 only. Had we been mixed in with the A3s, I'd say 2 laps would have been sufficient! I just felt that another lap would have cut down on those finishing in the bunch and made a more exciting finish.

rubs wrote: »
    :):):)...very good. I`m actually a triathlete as well and I`ve learned from experienced, NOT too wear the jersey when doing local races or even the larger regional races like yesterday...you(tirathletes) get blamed for everything....and a lot of it probaly justified in certain cases!!

@henboy....bike doesn`t look too bad in the pics..say that hand is sore this morning....as I said to you yesterday full marks for the ruby walsh impression!...your crash happened in front of me and you immediately rolled into a ball, aka a national hunt jockey, to protect yourself from the oncoming riders.

Good race yesterday. The A4 bunch was very twitchy...of the 5 or so crashes, I wonder how many of thses were caused by over zealous use of the brakes!!!!..it seems every 5 seconds the group slows down...with shouts of "break" etc....

As for the SWCC being a leisure club??, don`t be fooled by the name:)

Just back from the docs. 4 stitches in arm hip is black and blue lots of road rash , Knee is also swollen and he glued some of the skin back to my fingers . plus a tetnis injection that was worse then the crash .

Robin --the carbon horse seems ok a few bits needed here and there . I was more worried incase i'd bring down someone behind me . It was indeed a good impression of Ruby Walsh , You can fix a bone but not so easy with the head . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Lumen wrote: »
    Wear a slightly ripped and bloody tri club jersey. You'll find yourself in loads of space.
    Love it!! Response of the year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Execellent race, very well organised and good to see seperate races for the A3 and A4's. Some A4's were saying it should have been 3 laps for them but I think if thats their feeling then they are in the wrong race and should join the A3's. 2 laps for A4's is exactly what beginners need.
    +1 at the start i was thinking 2 laps was too short but by the end i was happy to see the finish line. VERY well run event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

:rolleyes:
    Here, here on the above.

I was one of the ones thinking that another lap would have been no harm. However that was on the basis it was A4 only. Had we been mixed in with the A3s, I'd say 2 laps would have been sufficient! I just felt that another lap would have cut down on those finishing in the bunch and made a more exciting finish.

What was the average speed for the A4 race ?....... Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭LeoD

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    What was the average speed for the A4 race ?....... Cheers

I got 38.65kmh on my Garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

LeoD wrote: »

Great stuff thanks for that

LeoD wrote: »

Wow, thats sounds pretty fast for an A4 race does it not? I know it was only around 50km and there were over 100riders in the bunch but the A3's only had one lap more and the average was less than 1km/h faster at 39.4km/h! Are they usually this fast or was is just Rás Luimní? I also know that there was zero wind!

The four A4 races I've done have been between 37 and 39kph. They seem to be getting faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crean 406

Was there any picture taken of the bunch finish at the end of the A4 race?

• Advertisement

are you the vacuum man ;) hope you're feeling better today.

I am & I am, much better thanks. Hope to be back on the bike by the weekend. Thanks again for the lift.
    "Wear a slightly ripped and bloody tri club jersey"I think one of our fallers is now wearing a jersey of the above discription. :eek:

Did you see his knee? He'll be out of action for some time. It was his first ever race too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eoin9288

More photos on the Limerick CC website here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭LeoD

Wow, thats sounds pretty fast for an A4 race does it not? I know it was only around 50km and there were over 100riders in the bunch but the A3's only had one lap more and the average was less than 1km/h faster at 39.4km/h! Are they usually this fast or was is just Rás Luimní? I also know that there was zero wind!

I wouldn't expect a massive difference in average speed between A3 and A4 - I just think when the pace goes up, it keeps up for longer in the A3 cat. On Sunday the only place I found the going tough was on the few short hills but they were never long enough to drive me too far into the red. Unlike Navan a few weeks earlier :eek:

I suppose the few weeks training since Navan haven't done me any harm either.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    I had this one made up following one of my recent "escapades" - hopefully it will encourage others to steer clear:):
    beasty.jpg?t=1269969635

Advertisement