Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarships

Options
  • 22-03-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was looking at the UCD website and I saw a section about scholarships for high achievers.

How would you get one of these? If you get over, say 550 points, do you automatically get a scholarship or are the people selected?

Thanks!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

The points level is different for every course every year. 550/560 would normally be the minimum - for example, if you're doing medicine you'd need 600 or almost to get a scholarship. If you have enough points for an entrance scholarship you are automatically notified. There's a ceremony in November-ish and you get your cheque after that.

There's also a high achievers award. That's given to everyone who gets over 540. Again, you're automatically notified and there's a ceremony in Novemeber-ish. No money involved in this award, just a certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

What do you get if you get a scholarship? Is it like the Trinity scholars?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

I think its 600 points to be honest, and you don't really get much out of it, its more the honour (which is pretty stupid!), think you get a €30 book voucher or something ridiculous like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

It was €2,300 when I got it. A bit ridiculous if you ask me. I think you need 550 for arts and science omnibus.

Well last year the entrance scholarship was 1250 each (there are other scholarships e.g. sports and choral, that have different values). Lots of people got it without 600 points, all depends on what sort of points your classmates get in any certain year. There's no free accomodation or anything like that, just 1250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Hotaru wrote: »
    Well last year the entrance scholarship was 1250 each (there are other scholarships e.g. sports and choral, that have different values). Lots of people got it without 600 points, all depends on what sort of points your classmates get in any certain year. There's no free accomodation or anything like that, just 1250.
    I do think it scales,the one in agriculture this year was only 535,but I'm not sure if that was because it was the highest in the faculty of if each has its own conditions for it

I do think it scales,the one in agriculture this year was only 535,but I'm not sure if that was because it was the highest in the faculty of if each has its own conditions for it

Woah, maybe it changed this year. I've a sheet I got sent in the post last year that states the value of every entrance scholarship is 1250euro and it lists the points requirements for each course to obtain a scholarship.

Advertisement