Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoddy Boiler Installations

Options
  • 22-03-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently been told by Bord Gais during a boiler repair that my boiler is unsafe to use as it has not been properly connected to the outside flue. Having spoken with the Mgmt. Co. I'm not the only one this has happened to apparently. How someone can sign off on this type of shoddy workmanship and declare it safe to use is beyond me!! I suggest you all check your boilers are properly connected to the outside flue as I suspect this might be a more widespread problem in Charlesland than just the couple of cases I'm aware of. Please let me know as I'm preparing to put some pressure on the builder to put it right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Which part of the Charlesland development are you living in?

It is more relevant as the installations will have been completed by different contractors for each phase of the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Nice, the management company are aware that our boilers are potentially unsafe and they've failed to tell anyone.

Thanks for the info, will get that checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Fred told us about this a few months back. He is spending a lot of time fixing boilers.

You can add this shoddiness to the Plumbing botchups and the Rat Infestations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

skelly22 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've recently been told by Bord Gais during a boiler repair that my boiler is unsafe to use as it has not been properly connected to the outside flue. Having spoken with the Mgmt. Co. I'm not the only one this has happened to apparently. How someone can sign off on this type of shoddy workmanship and declare it safe to use is beyond me!! I suggest you all check your boilers are properly connected to the outside flue as I suspect this might be a more widespread problem in Charlesland than just the couple of cases I'm aware of. Please let me know as I'm preparing to put some pressure on the builder to put it right.

Did Bord Gais terminate your gas supply as your boiler to flue connection is faulty as they say or are they allowing you use it still ? Get what they told you in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Not sure if Fred is Corgi Certified or whatever the Irish version is, but he certainly knows his stuff and comes highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

DK32 wrote: »
    Which part of the Charlesland development are you living in?

It is more relevant as the installations will have been completed by different contractors for each phase of the development.

I'm in the Grove & have a written Notification of Hazard from Bord Gais. They turned the gas off just by moving the lever under the boiler. I haven't had my boiler serviced but that doesn't take away from the fact that the flue isn't properly connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 essentialjc

Hi Skelly

What were the symptoms that prompted you to get your bolier looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Hi Skelly

What were the symptoms that prompted you to get your bolier looked at?

It's a Glowworm 18si and I was getting an F1 Fault which ultimately proved to be a faulty spark generator (after 5 weeks without a boiler!!)

Advertisement