Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drinking on the Bike!*

• 22-03-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

No unfortunately i'm not talking about that kind of drinking.

I was just wondering what drinks others tend to use on 100k+ cycles.

I've been using powerade and another bottle with water, but am sick of paying out €2-something each time i head out for a long spin.

Can anyome receomment a good mix drink from powder that tastes alright and has carbs/electrolights etcs?

Thank you!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I use High 5. It tastes ok and comes in large containers for about €40 which last me 2-3 months. That said I tend to used just water if doing less than 50-60k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

1 plain dioralyte sachet in water with diluted orange or blackcurrent to taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Depends how fast you are going. Racing I tend to use an energy drink (currently, half-diluted Lucozade as it has more calories than the sports versions) but on sportives/audax I'll go for water and solid food. Nuun tablets in the water are good for the eletrolytes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

salt (free from mcdonalds)
    water (free from the tap)
    fruit concentrate (your favourite flavour, free from your parents house)
    glucose (pay for that bit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Raam wrote: »
    Beat me to it Raam.

A tip on the glucose - you can usually pick it up in the babyfood section of the supermarket, Shamrock brand stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Hi5 4:1 savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

+ 1 .. da mutts nuts !
    Hi5 4:1 savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

My 2c - Torq Energy or NUUN tabs (if its a hot day and just for hydration) FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Nuun or MiWadi for me, although MiWadi tends to stain the bottle which is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I've gotten Gatorade powder in various flavours from the States through ebay before, works out reasonable enough. Unfortunately you can't get it anywhere in the shops in Ireland. The only common sports drink in powder format in Ireland is Lucazade Sport, used to be available in lemon and orange from some Boots (haven't tried getting it in about 2 years now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

serious homebrew:

http://lagazzettadellabici.blogspot.com/2010/03/homemade-energy-drinks-from-maryka.html

Price comparison to Torq and SIS PSP at the bottom is pretty stark ... though it still doesn't make me want to go to the trouble of mixing up powders ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Robinsons orange juice + water + touch of salt + lemon juice

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Nuun or MiWadi for me, although MiWadi tends to stain the bottle which is annoying.

Your commitment to the aesthetics continues to astound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

Hi5 Zero Sport for me. Very tasty! I usually carry another bottle of water on longer rides too (not that i do many of them!). The taste of electrolyte/sports drinks gets old very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭andun84

rob1891 wrote: »
    serious homebrew:

http://lagazzettadellabici.blogspot.com/2010/03/homemade-energy-drinks-from-maryka.html

Price comparison to Torq and SIS PSP at the bottom is pretty stark ... though it still doesn't make me want to go to the trouble of mixing up powders ...

I mixed up a 2.5kg batch and put that in my SiS PSP22 bottle which I had just finished.

It will last me as long as the SiS PSP22 as I use exactly the same concentration and is far cheaper.

Took me about 10 minutes to mix, fill the bottle and clean up. I spend considerably more time cleaning my bike many more times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

high 5 extreme energy for racing/longer high intensity sessions(the caffeine one..)

nunn/high 5 electrolytes tubes for most days(caffeine nunn's naturally)

<1.5hr non-interval training just plain water

torq gels for racing with caffeine

clif bars for longer rides/tempted to try them out for racing too (alas they need to make it with caffeine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

high 5 extreme energy for racing/longer high intensity sessions(the caffeine one..)

nunn/high 5 electrolytes tubes for most days(caffeine nunn's naturally)

<1.5hr non-interval training just plain water

torq gels for racing with caffeine

clif bars for longer rides/tempted to try them out for racing too (alas they need to make it with caffeine)

Do you ever sleep??

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

I've cycled home from pubs lots while under the influence, way cheaper than a taxi... oh wait.
    (suprisingly though I find I do retain a lot of my balance while quite drunk on a bike)
    Remember kids, never ever drink and cycle, could you live with being dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

bag of bananas and tap water... But I carry them in a backpack cause I'm mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

joker77 wrote: »
    Beat me to it Raam.

A tip on the glucose - you can usually pick it up in the babyfood section of the supermarket, Shamrock brand stuff.

It should be cheaper in the baking aisle though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

joker77 wrote: »
    Beat me to it Raam.

I've been looking for this glucose in my local tesco. Today I picked up some liquid glucose by dr.oetker in the baking section. Is this the right stuff? And how much do you generally put in a litre bottle? It doesn't look like the kind of stuff that mixes all that well with water.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Random thought, are there hydration packs available for bikes, as in not a backpack but something you fit to your bike itself? Just be easier than a couple of bottles cause I like to take small sips regularly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Random thought, are there hydration packs available for bikes, as in not a backpack but something you fit to your bike itself? Just be easier than a couple of bottles cause I like to take small sips regularly.
    Profile Design; and

Neverreach
    Paul_Fritzsche_website.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Haha, that looks like he's trying to use his lungs to propel himself :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Raam wrote: »

I use normal sugar, 1 table spoon, a few drops of conc fruit juice just to flavour, it works a treat and doesnt turn your saliva into prit-stick like other drinks.

750mls of this and 750mls of H2O when fully loaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I've been looking for this glucose in my local tesco. Today I picked up some liquid glucose by dr.oetker in the baking section. Is this the right stuff? And how much do you generally put in a litre bottle? It doesn't look like the kind of stuff that mixes all that well with water.

Cheers
    In a litre bottle you'd be looking at maybe 4 teaspoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

lyders wrote: »
    Hi5 Zero Sport for me. Very tasty! I usually carry another bottle of water on longer rides too (not that i do many of them!). The taste of electrolyte/sports drinks gets old very quickly.

+1, great stuff and way cheaper than Nuuns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cheers

I go for the shamrock powder stuff. I use 500ml bottles and would put a tablespoons worth, or there abouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Hi5 4:1 Summer fruits flavour for me and if l bonk you cant beat coke. It'll get you home. Was feeling really bad at Roundwood on last years 200, drank a bottle of coke and got a second wind on the climb at Ballinastoe on the way back which is just as well before hitting that little bugger in Enniskerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Beasty wrote: »
    Paul_Fritzsche_website.jpg

Now, that looks just a bit too close to DIY recycling for me... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

One of my old mountain biking buddies rule was that the black water bottle was for proper drink like Tequila or Jack D.

Advertisement