Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tool/Workshop Equipment Suppliers

• 22-03-2010 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I'm about to invest in some tooling for a new workshop I'm moving into. I'm looking for a 100-200L compressor to run tools from (probably a few tools to complement what I have already), some heavy duty racking/shelving, bench grinder, floor standing drill press and possibly a scissor lift (low enough roof clearance and high vehicles). The list is long and getting longer....

I know Machine Mart or Axminster can supply most if not all of these, but I'm figuring I'd rather spend the shillings locally as long as I'm not going to be raped for the privelage.

Who do the indie's go to when they're looking for kit that'll stand up to a bit of use? I'm looking for decent enough workable kit, not premium branded toolbox bling, but I don't *do* cheap either....

Any recommendations on Leinster based suppliers to the trade who won't take the fish with their pricing? Would prefer places I can walk into and deal with someone, but I'll go mail order/catalogue if there's no better choice.

BTW, posting here as I'm not interested in the recommendations to go to Argos/Lidl/Aldi/Homebase type crap I'll no doubt get on Motors.... ;-)

Ta,

Gil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

With the shelving you would be a lot cheaper and probably stronger to buy some 2'' box and make it up yourself. Couple of RSJ's for the uprights.

I bought a new sealey single phase compressor off a member of the traveling community. It gave me no bother really.

A contact I have for lifts is a guy called John O Connor. He talks pure pony and trap but I am told he is quite cheap with his lifts. I'll get you a number tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I haven't bought anything myself off him, but have only heard good things about him from co-workers - PJ Fallon in Roscommon (link)

I've bought a lot of tools off ebay as well as local motor factors and the travelling Snap-On truck - it helps to shop around! (I find ebay.co.uk the cheapest, but if you wanna keep the money in the country..................)

Motor factors will probably provide you with Britool, Teng-Tools, Draper and Sealey. All are decent, with Britool probably being the most expensive you'll get in the factors. If you're going with Draper, "Expert" would be the top of the range and with Sealey, look out for "Premier" or "Siegen" branded tools - better quality than a lot of the standard tools.

The one good thing about snapon stuff is that you can pay in installments, so makes it a little less painful - and most of the stuff has a lifetime warranty, but you're going to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The Snap-on man that calls gives me the willies.

He is such a salesman remembering my name even though I've only ever bought a pen light off him.

I have bought a lot of sykes/britool stuff. In my mind it is every bit as good as snap-on without paying for the smooth salesman. E Fox has some good offers on at times. I got a monster of a 3/4'' pull bar off them for 50 quid + vat. Snap on wanted 150 and it is not as long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Slidey wrote: »
    The Snap-on man that calls gives me the willies.

He is such a salesman remembering my name even though I've only ever bought a pen light off him.

As a Salesman myself this is very important, I used to have a page in the back of my stockcard, with the customers name, football team he supports, kids names if he ever mentioned them etc etc

My uncle is in around your area Gil (I'm not calling you Rovercraft :p) so I'll ask who he buys from. I know he got a new compressor a few weeks ago, the old one had an epic blowout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Bradshaws of Carlow, Newbridge and Portlaoise do a lot of Draper stuff and their prices are good.Ask if they have a current 'Draper sale catalogue'.

I have also bought from these people,their prices are very hard to beat and will deliver next day.

http://www.sjebbandsons.com/index.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I'm after putting all his kids through college:rolleyes: I've learned the hard way that the best way to get a deal on snapon is to only buy what's on special offer. He's a salesman though, take what he says with a pinch of salt!

That's an interesting link you've given - very hard to get Facom tools around here, they are excellant build quality as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I know of a place just off the M4 at Enfield in a place called Johnstown Bridge.

Its a little service station but they have a hardware attached and are the main Draper tools dealer for Leinster and they can get you anything you want pretty much.

Whether Draper is a brand worth looking at for what you want or not I thought Id chuck that in there.

http://www.draper.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Slidey wrote: »
    With the shelving you would be a lot cheaper and probably stronger to buy some 2'' box and make it up yourself. Couple of RSJ's for the uprights.

Nah, don't bother - buy some pallet racking, easier, lighter, adjustable. Available new and used.......

OP - tools ? Try Tuck's in Gardiner Street, McQuillan's in Capel Street, E Fox Engineers, Baldonnell

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Onkle wrote: »
    As a Salesman myself this is very important, I used to have a page in the back of my stockcard, with the customers name, football team he supports, kids names if he ever mentioned them etc etc

My uncle is in around your area Gil (I'm not calling you Rovercraft :p) so I'll ask who he buys from. I know he got a new compressor a few weeks ago, the old one had an epic blowout

Thanks Gary.....I'm not calling you Onkle either! :D

Appreciate the replies lads - keep 'em coming. I'm fairly well sorted for the hand tools stuff, basic air tools and stuff like that...in fact...I probably already have two of everything I'd need on that front. It's the bigger kit that's a struggle to locate locally from what I've seen, but ye're giving some good leads there.

Cheers,

Gil
    (Just for you Gary :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭Esel

galwaytt wrote: »
    Try Tuck's in Gardiner Street
    Think they moved to East Wall Road years ago... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

esel wrote: »
    Think they moved to East Wall Road years ago... :D

..you could well be right; they're all the wrong side of the Shannon to me ! :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I do Sealy & ACT (have agencies, not my main course), more than willing to assist. Send me a PM with what you're interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Cheers Fishtits, will do.

Advertisement