Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2000 onwards Mitsubishi carisma 1.9Td/DID?

• 22-03-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭

Anybody know much about these? Whats the general opinion on them? Decent car or a heap? Just the diesel version.

2001MitsubishiCarisma1.jpg

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Had one for a while and found it a smashing car, very reliable and lovely engine. Didn;t like the low seating as in most Jap cars but that is just a personal dislike. Can be bought for quite good value in Ireland as not as popular as other jap makes but in my opinion , they are just as good.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Carisma was built along side the original Volvo S40 in the Netherlands. Both cars were basically the same underneath except the Volvo was pitched up market. The diesel engine is a Renault unit, go for the 01 onwards one as it is more refined and had 15bhp more than the pre 2001 version. It's a pretty reliable unit if a little unrefined by today's standards.

The Carisma itself wasn't a great car, not a heap but just didn't do anything any better than the competition of the time. It was placed above the Lancer despite not being much bigger than one and went up against the likes of the Mondeo, Primera, Avensis, etc. The 1.8 GDi engine was also a disaster and very troublesome.

To be honest I would try and find a similar year Volvo S40, much nicer car imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Carisma was built along side the original Volvo S40 in the Netherlands. Both cars were basically the same underneath except the Volvo was pitched up market. The diesel engine is a Renault unit, go for the 01 onwards one as it is more refined and had 15bhp more than the pre 2001 version. It's a pretty reliable unit if a little unrefined by today's standards.

The Carisma itself wasn't a great car, not a heap but just didn't do anything any better than the competition of the time. It was placed above the Lancer despite not being much bigger than one and went up against the likes of the Mondeo, Primera, Avensis, etc. The 1.8 GDi engine was also a disaster and very troublesome.

To be honest I would try and find a similar year Volvo S40, much nicer car imo.

Thanks for the info. Only problem is i have a very low budget hence the interest in the cheap as chips carisma. About 2500 euro would be the furthest i could go so i think the volvo might be a no go.

Heres the list of diesel cars im looking into;

Mitsubishi carisma
    Peugeot 406 - i was very interested in this last week but im hearing some very bad things about them recently. Electrical nightmares apparently.
    Toyota avensis
    Mazda 626
    Skoda octavia

Which one would you go for?

How about a Citroen Xantia:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200916192531633

Same HDi engine as the 406 and alot more reliable than the C5 that replaced it.

How about a Citroen Xantia:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200916192531633

Same HDi engine as the 406 and alot more reliable than the C5 that replaced it.

No i just couldn't, don't like the look of them. The D4D diesel avensis is definitely an option, so so boring though.
    I'd like to get a 406 but i took a look at the uk 406 website & the amount of people reporting all sorts of problems was scary.
    It has to be reliable at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd like to get a 406 but i took a look at the uk 406 website & the amount of people reporting all sorts of problems was scary.

Just remember that only the people with problems are going to be posting on the internet about them :)

On a budget of €2500 I think you should judge the individual car on current condition rather than brand or model reputation.

Avensis D-4D are not without their problems, mainly the dual mass flywheel which like most modern diesels may need replacing after 100k miles, an expensive job too. If anything you probably should go with the non D-4D 2.0 litre TD Avensis which has no fancy common rail injectors or dual mass flywheel to worry about. Finding a good one is hard though as the newest ones are 10 years old now.

On a budget of €2500 I think you should judge the individual car on current condition rather than brand or model reputation.

Avensis D-4D are not without their problems, mainly the dual mass flywheel which like most modern diesels may need replacing after 100k miles, an expensive job too. If anything you probably should go with the non D-4D 2.0 litre TD Avensis which has no fancy common rail injectors or dual mass flywheel to worry about. Finding a good one is hard though as the newest ones are 10 years old now.

Agreed. There is no such thing as a 10 year old car that has guaranteed reliability.

Thing is, i do actually want to get the 406, its clearly a better looking car than any of the ones i listed. From what im reading its also more comfortable, a better drive & has more extras (with the exception of the mitsubishi) than the others.
    The octavia is looking doubtful because its just so bland & most of the examples that i could afford are very tired & have miserly equipment levels, at least all the others have aircon as standard except the avensis.
    The 626 is a bit of donkey-mobile but rock solid no doubt in a boring sort of whoops-ive-fallen-asleep-thinking-about-it way. Then again beggars can't be choosers.

Whats the worst that could happen if i got a diesel 406? What are the most common faults that occur when the mileage hits about 100,000 miles?
    I suppose what i could do is pick up a 406 for about 2000 euro & have 500 euro on standby if something did go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭roashter

I'm driving a '00 1.6l petrol and am happy enough with car. Very reliable and easy to drive.

Advertisement