Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting real-life illustrations into photoshop

Options
  • 22-03-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

I've always wondered how this is done properly. Basically I've a really good artist friend who can't use computers for poo. He wants to get some of his cartoons printed in our paper, but short of getting him to do them again on a Wacom tablet I'm a bit stumped.

What pro tools are used for this kind of job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What kind of illustrations are they - and is there any budget for this?

The most basic solution is to scan the illustrations. You can get good results from professional scanning facilities.

Course, people these days generally sketch things on paper and then redraw them on the computer.

Hard to talk abstractly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I've always gotten the best results from scanning and then retouching in Photoshop (removing any particles or abnormalities from the scan). For a paper you can use any old scanner really, only takes a minute to correct any colour loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

need a scanner, you might need multiple scans of the same image if it exceeds the boundaries of the scanner. Can't remember exactly but if you into file theres an option to scan in the image somewhere down the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If your friend does comic work by hand then they need a scanner to scan them in for print. They will need to scan the work [either in one go or in sections depending on size] making sure it's scanned at the right dpi for print and do any clean up that may be needed in a program like PS and save it in the correct format. There are some threads on the comic production forum on getting files ready for print. If they are looking to do comics 100% digitally then I strongly suggest looking into buying a copy of Manga Studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement