Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty Period for Mobile Phones - Different from one online shop to another !

• 22-03-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I am doing some market research to buy a nokia mobile phone. I found that some online shops like MobileFun, Simplyelectronics etc offer 1 year warranty while others like Handtec offers 2 year warranty. allorange boasts about 24 months warranty in their Returns& Warranty page for all mobile phones except LG& Motorola while on their terms page they state that all mobile phones are covered by 12 month manufacturer warranty. Have contacted them, but till no reply on this issue. Dont know about how long expansys offers.
    I wonder why this is different. Is Nokia offer only 1 year warranty for their phones? If they offer 2 year why dont these online shops pass this on to customers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nokia offer 2 years (unless it's recently increased) on all their phones regardless of where you buy it. Just make sure you keep the receipt (which generally isn't even needed) and the likes of www.mprc.ie will honour the warranty.

These online shops just don't want the hassle of dealing with you beyond the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thanks Random, So if I buy the phone from an onlineshop that offers 1 year warranty and the phone develops some problem within 2 year period, would I have to pay for the repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If the phone is faulty then you won't have to pay for the repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

ALL HANDSETS FROM ALL MANUFACTUERS SOLD IN EUROPE HAVE A 2 YEAR WARRANTY!

Sorry for shouting but I just wanted to get the point across. The legal minimum under EU law is 2 years/24 months. These are your "statutory rights" are enforced EU wide. The warrenty is between you and the company that sold you the product (its a contract or sale)

Simplyelectronics and others are breaking the law by offering 12 months. Tell them so and mention your EU statutory rights and they will change their tune.
    ITguru wrote: »
    I am doing some market research to buy a nokia mobile phone. I found that some online shops like MobileFun, Simplyelectronics etc offer 1 year warranty while others like Handtec offers 2 year warranty. allorange boasts about 24 months warranty in their Returns& Warranty page for all mobile phones except LG& Motorola while on their terms page they state that all mobile phones are covered by 12 month manufacturer warranty. Have contacted them, but till no reply on this issue. Dont know about how long expansys offers.
    I wonder why this is different. Is Nokia offer only 1 year warranty for their phones? If they offer 2 year why dont these online shops pass this on to customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have u a link to that law, lg and samsung only seem to accept 12mts in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭TestLink

Here is the link drunkmonkey,

http://www.allorange.co.uk/customer-services/returns-and-warranty.html

"24 Month Manufacturer Warranty

All phones are covered by the 24 month manufacturer Warranty (except Motorola & LG who only offer 12 months)."

Dont confuse a manufacturer warranty with sale of goods law. Statutory rights are between YOU and the RETAILER and are covered under EU law. In the UK its included under the sale of goods act (includes statutory rights) and can even be up to 6 years.

See http://www.euroconsumatori.org/16856v18340d18341.html or google statutory rights EU

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

As previous poster saig LG and Samsung only offer 12mth warranty, Apple also! In fact the only manufacturers I am aware of offhand that offer 24mths are Nokia and SonyEricsson. Now I understand the links above to EU law but i'm assuming these companies are aware of that but somehow don't have to apply it? I know with the iphone if it develops a fault outside of the 12mth warranty apple will charge to repair it

No - you are confusing manufacturer warranty with contract of sale law. The EU directive is between you and the seller. It doesn't matter what the manufacturer says about their warrenty but EU laws states that the retailer has to give you 24 months. It's up to the retailer to sort out financial implications with the manufacturer.

For example, on the vodafone boards groups last week the rep from vodafone acknowledged this. All vodafone handsets come with 24 months warranty and this includes the iphone. Why? Because its being sold by a retailer in the EU and the 24 month rule applies.

If anyone has any queries call the consumer association in Dublin or the citizens advice group. They also have details on their web site covering this.

People need to wise up to consumer law. Only yesterday a large electrical retailer tried to sell me an extended 24 month warranty. I told him I already was already covered and he agreed! Its a scam.

As previous poster saig LG and Samsung only offer 12mth warranty, Apple also! In fact the only manufacturers I am aware of offhand that offer 24mths are Nokia and SonyEricsson. Now I understand the links above to EU law but i'm assuming these companies are aware of that but somehow don't have to apply it? I know with the iphone if it develops a fault outside of the 12mth warranty apple will charge to repair it

Advertisement