Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second language learning as an aid to speech recovery

Options
  • 22-03-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

I'd love to hear what your opinions are on this topic.

Some will know that I am about 99% recovered in my speech problem which I had up until 5 years ago- have the odd slip, but not worried in the slightest about that.

Now, the English I speak is obviously fluent, in terms of it being my native language, but I think we all know that some people are just better than others at speaking, for example newsreaders, actors, etc. who are just able to deliver in a truly engaging way. Even politicians, friends.. we all know the people who are really good speakers -above the average.

Now over the past year I have spent a decent chunk of my time learning Irish and am working towards near native fluency so I've got really into it, beyond taking a class and leaving it at that.

So what I am finding more and more is a bit of a breakthrough for me - I wasn't expecting this at all- I am speaking more engagingly in English and I genuinely believe this is down to not thinking much about what I say- so, when I speak English I think less about it, and it must be because I spend so much time with Irish these days.. and in ways I am thinking more and more in Irish. This is just happening for me 9 months into learning Irish, and not before it so much, so you would really need to be thinking, reading and listening to Irish (or another language) on a continual basis for this to work I think! As in you need to take your mind away from the English language by using another language.

What do ye think? Anyone experienced the same thing as I am?
    Would you consider trying it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

:( No replies

As some people will know, when you have a speech problem, you often use a different word than the one you want to use, and having a couple of ways to say something makes it easier to speak more fluently. That's how it was for me anyway.

Immersing yourself in a second language and thinking in that language is the same kind of thing- it is taking your mind off your native language and may help you to recover. Because you are concentrating less on the English words.

Whatever you do don't keep thinking about the problem. Visualise yourself recovering, and believe it, you can recover. Read the Secret, be Relentless in your positive thinking.

Advertisement