Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Query

Options
  • 22-03-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey gus i have a question.

I have a Netgear Router (WNR1000) and there is two home pc's, an xbox and a two wireless laptops conecting to it.

*Note: not all at the same time obviously

Now when i open up the full network map, I see that the laptops go straight to the router but my xbox and pc go throught a switch then to the router.

Why is this? Am i losing speed because of this???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Hey gus i have a question.

I have a Netgear Router (WNR1000) and there is two home pc's, an xbox and a two wireless laptops conecting to it.

*Note: not all at the same time obviously

Now when i open up the full network map, I see that the laptops go straight to the router but my xbox and pc go throught a switch then to the router.

Why is this? Am i losing speed because of this???

Where the RJ45 ports on the back of the router are is called a switch.

Basically you could look at your router as two things stuck together; the router, and the 4 port switch.

No speed is lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Where the RJ45 ports on the back of the router are is called a switch.

Basically you could look at your router as two things stuck together; the router, and the 4 port switch.

No speed is lost.

Thanks man, I thought that they were goin throught a switch inside the router or somethin before the actual router itself.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

Advertisement