Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New RTE Afternoon Show Photography Comp. Prize includes holiday,€1000and a DSLR

• 22-03-2010 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭

The RTE Afternoon Show have launched another photography competition. The prize is a holiday in a five star hotel in Cannes,€1000 spending money and a Sony Alpha DSLR A450 digital camera. Not too shabby!

The theme is "An Afternoon to Remember". Some of the judges were interviewed about it today and they said they would be focused on the story telling aspect of the photo as much ifnot more than they would on the technical aspects.They said it was certainly wide open to everyone from rank amatuers up.It might be worth a shot! (groan worthy pun duly noted:) )

All details here:
    Originally Posted by*:
    The Afternoon Show Photography Competition 2010

Monday, 22 March 2010

Whether you're the occasional shutter-bug or an aspiring photographer, we want to see your photography skills.*
    All you have to do is come up with a winning photograph that reflects the theme 'An Afternoon to Remember'.

The prize includes a trip for 2 to Cannes with accommodation at the 5 star luxury Lucienne Barriere Hotel; €1000 spending money AND Tickets to the Sony World Photography Awards whilst you're there!

And that's not all - You also win an amazing Sony Alpha DSLR A450 digital camera!

The trip is for 2 nights, and the winner and friend must be available to travel from Dublin Airport on the 21st of April.

Entries are limited to one per person and images should be no larger than 2MEGA BITES.

Send your entries to tasphotocomp@rte.ie
    (Changed from tasphotocomp@rte.com. This was a misprint on their site and the reason all of our emails have been bouncing)

All entries must be original photographs and the judges' decision is final.

Entrants must be aged 18 years or over, and amateur photographers only ; RTE standard terms and conditions apply. See www.rte.ie/tv/theafternoonshow for more information.

Entries will be accepted by email only and the deadline is Tuesday, the 6th of April at 10am.

EDIT: I just got an email asking me if I was affiliated with the Afternoon Show.The Horror!:)
    I can assure you all I'm not. I don't even watch it(...much).*
    Of course for the benefit of any Afternoon Show people reading Id be willing to reconsider my stance for 1000 quid,a holiday and a new camera:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

What the hell is a MEGA BITE? Sounds fun, otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Will have a go for sure. Can't lose anything. Don't tell everyone though, sssssh! :D Less entrants the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Haha You're living up to your name there thecageyone :D

I should've thought of that though...sshh.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

right so, best beat the rush - I'd like to complain about the quality of the winning image and to say that the judges are woeful and wouldn't know what end of the camera they should look into* Just sayin loike?

* I may not actually know the judges, have seen the show, and at this stage 3 weeks before the closing date I most definately haven't seen the winning entry ;)

OTOH - A holiday in Cannes would be gorgeous.....

You know you'll be right though. Sometimes I think with these things you're better off NOT trying too hard. Because when you see the images that do win ... you'll scratch your head and regret being waist high in muck, getting a temperature and breaking your big toe to capture that stunning image you thought had every chance!

I still enter every competition going though, hope against hope eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    right so, best beat the rush - I'd like to complain about the quality of the winning image and to say that the judges are woeful and wouldn't know what end of the camera they should look into* Just sayin loike?

* I may not actually know the judges, have seen the show, and at this stage 3 weeks before the closing date I most definately haven't seen the winning entry ;)

OTOH - A holiday in Cannes would be gorgeous.....

Oh and:

BUT WHO OWNS MAH IMAGE!?!
    WFT?!
    AN IMAGE FOR A... ...PRIZE?
    GTFO!
    I AINT NO FOOL!

rabblerabblerabblerabblerabble...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SugarCane

Yeah thats a fair point, whats the story with photos on the web and in the public arena at the mo.? Will the photos still be our own if we send them in?

You'll be taking a picture specifically for the competition, they assume at aleast. Once you send it, you allow them to use it. It gets used as the background for the weather report a few times and that's it. I doubt they'll want it for anything else. You don't have to enter or anything, if it's an image you don't want to share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

My mail just bounced :confused:

Hmmm, everybody else get on OK with tasphotocomp@rte.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Well feck that i've already booked my holiday to cannes. I could have won too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

chilly wrote: »
    They said it was certainly wide open to everyone from rank amatuers up.
    Entrants must be aged 18 years or over, and amateur photographers only

Looks like it's only open to amateurs, not pro's.

how many times can i enter??

how about this pic

or this pic

how many times can i enter??

......."Entries are limited to one per person and...."

or one of these 2?

which one out of the 4 should i enter?

The fifth one..

I don't think any of them really suit the topic "An afternoon to remember". Especially if they're looking for a pic that tells a story. I reckon something that shows elements of activities. Like if there were ski or snowboard marks in the snow it might show an afternoon of skiing but a pretty landscape doesn't really suit, plus the lighting looks more like evening. Plus given the time of year I reckon something Springy would be preferred.

Some good shots though.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Yeah mine bounced too !!!!

• Advertisement

Cheers. They were taken in Switzerland in Dec. Went over with the children to lapland appeal. Got some great photos.

I sent this one

Grindelwald, did yours bounce back to you?

My one gmail account worked the other gmail account bounced back also my yahoo bounced back

Mine bounced also. I asked them on Twitter what's up but no sign of a reply yet.

So I have figured out why the emails are bouncing,

In the original post by chilli the email is .com but it is actually .ie

tasphotocomp@rte.ie

Visuelle wrote: »
    So I have figured out why the emails are bouncing,

In the original post by chilli the email is .com but it is actually .ie

tasphotocomp@rte.ie

Well done for spotting that Visuelle!I have fixed it on my original post.

This could kind of give us a little advantage here as the .com address is what they have on their website.It could turn into an all boards.ie event if someone else doesn't spot that!:D

For a moment I thought maybe keep this quite but it is all fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

anybody hear anything back from this one? I even took the plunge and entered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

if past competitions are anything to go by I found a winning shot already, bear in mind I used the same judging panel as the Late Late show :)

berlin%20295.jpg
    http://www.sandysknitting.com/images/berlin%20295.jpg

Ps it aint mine!! :)

Borderfox wrote: »
    if past competitions are anything to go by I found a winning shot already, bear in mind I used the same judging panel as the Late Late show :)

berlin%20295.jpg
    http://www.sandysknitting.com/images/berlin%20295.jpg

Ps it aint mine!! :)

im confused lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Interesting "motion blur" effect there. Either that, or there was an earthquake when the image was taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Totally missed this! Damn... Good luck all :)

was the winner announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

If my memory serves me correctly the winner wuz announced last Friday.

The winning photo wuz of a kid mucking about with some turkeys or geese or the like.

• Advertisement

It should have been me, ah well.

Here is the winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I thought the one with the monks deserved to win imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

storm2811 wrote: »
    I thought the one with the monks deserved to win imo..

Ah but it didn't have the "Oirish Mammy" factor. Remember they had to ring in and vote for the winning photo.

bah I cant see any of the finalists :(

Winner must be able to travel from Dublin airport on 21st April

Hehe, good luck to the winner claiming his holiday. Hope it's not a Ryanair flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

NothingMan wrote: »
    Hehe, good luck to the winner claiming his holiday. Hope it's not a Ryanair flight.

Haha,they're doooomed:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I could have predicted the winner was gonna be a small child doing something 'adorable'.

And the Mammys who vote in say 'Ah, isn't he so cute' or 'Ah, God love him'.

swingking wrote: »
    I could have predicted the winner was gonna be a small child doing something 'adorable'.

And the Mammys who vote in say 'Ah, isn't he so cute' or 'Ah, God love him'.
    hahahahahahaha aint that always the way? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Here is the winner

Bloody hell thats two mutts in the top image supposedly promoting the afternoon show!

Don't really like any of those photo's.

Red Arrows one?? Crap. Its planes flying in formation. If the photo was taken from the cockpit, then maybe. Kid with turkeys. Meh. The lighting makes it very boring. The monks - hmm, maybe the best of a bad bunch, but its missing something. The two girls - I don't see anything in that photo linking it to the subject matter of the contest. The baby being born, not bad, but a bit weird. Should be cropped to show just the hands and the baby. And cliché. The dive one isn't bad. But its just barely 'afternoon' lol.

Surely they should have a rule that the photo's must be taken within 1 month preceding the comp, or anytime afterwards before the deadline. (baby one is 2 years old ffs).

Bloody hell thats two mutts in the top image supposedly promoting the afternoon show!

Red Arrows one?? Crap. Its planes flying in formation. If the photo was taken from the cockpit, then maybe. Kid with turkeys. Meh. The lighting makes it very boring. The monks - hmm, maybe the best of a bad bunch, but its missing something. The two girls - I don't see anything in that photo linking it to the subject matter of the contest. The baby being born, not bad, but a bit weird. Should be cropped to show just the hands and the baby. And cliché. The dive one isn't bad. But its just barely 'afternoon' lol.

Surely they should have a rule that the photo's must be taken within 1 month preceding the comp, or anytime afterwards before the deadline. (baby one is 2 years old ffs).

i cannt see the photos for some reason,can you provide a link plz?

Did you honestly think the finalists were going to be amazing shots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

i cannt see the photos for some reason,can you provide a link plz?

Twas posted earlier:

Here is the winner
    Did you honestly think the finalists were going to be amazing shots?

No, but 'good' would have been a start...

Even good was expecting a lot, considering the show itself :D

the only reason I wont slag some of those photos is that they are probably just taken for posterity and not so muhc for "photography"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I don't know if you're commenting like this cause you didn't win or these are in fact just opinions from someone who just dislike the show and found this thread..

Anyway, The red arrow photo although in your eyes it might not be a a good shot but it's got a massive story behind in and I feel it with that in mind it's a great photo.

I was about 100 miles from the Volvo ocean race and couldn't get to it, But even if the hype on this forum was anything to do by It was an amazing event and remembered by thousands.. Think of all the people that went to it, All the companies that benefited from it and then it really was an afternoon to remember, I'm sure a photo of a boat could of been chose but I've never seen the red arrows over here and it would definitely be something I'd remember.

• Advertisement
Advertisement