Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I was in Galway yesterday.

• 22-03-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Yes, I realise that it's a bit extreme to run off to the west just because you're bored, but let's face it...I needed the change of scenery.

Salthill.

1E90AE231E1143FDB8FE2940F4F61B9B-800.jpg

6584268559474E58B1702FE4F985EAEF-800.jpg

Somewhere on the N84 near a garden centre:

59EFC655C9DB4692AA43673B1F57122B-800.jpg

Annaghdown Pier

5A2A5CE23C8845C6B1F19CD3A422F9CC-800.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the haul for a few reasons; but I'm interested in opinions on the lighting differences between 1 and 2. I have some room to manouvre here between filters and white balance or a combination of both. The AWB off the camera got the temperature completely wrong - it was much warmer than the original RAW would have given you scope to think.

I'm also not 100% pleased with the DOF on the boat - it is the effect I was aiming for to some extent but it wasn't quite shallow enough in the end. Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Good stuff, Salthill is a cool place to shoot at any time. We were down there during the summer and I got both nice summery and wild stormy pics over 2 days. It's like that out west :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

love the second one, really nice :) number 4 is incredible, I really really love it. The yellow white and green is gorgeous :) straighten it up a bit and your on a winner here :) pity about the rock in the bottom left right, i think it would have been better without it, but its by no means a deal breaker!

Yeah, the boat pic is very nice. Is the rock not on the right? from this perspective? I never know which way to point an area out in a picture, should you go from the photo's perspective or th viewers, I'd say on the bottom right.

Could crop it but you'd lose some of the boat itself. Horizon is well off, easily fixed, try crop the rock while at it and see how it looks?

Yeah, the boat pic is very nice. Is the rock not on the right? from this perspective? I never know which way to point an area out in a picture, should you go from the photo's perspective or th viewers, I'd say on the bottom right.

Could crop it but you'd lose some of the boat itself. Horizon is well off, easily fixed, try crop the rock while at it and see how it looks?

the rock is very blatantly in the bottom right :D just my stupidity put it on the left :) I've never seen anyone call the left the right and right the left if you get me... always from the viewers prospective, not the photographers. cropping would loose to much of the boat IMO

Ah, grand, when you said left it just had me wondering was I wrong all along :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Point taking about the horizon. If I'd gotten the DOF I wanted though, it might not have mattered so much. The rock wasn't so much my issue as the vans and cars I struggled to avoid....

thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Shame you didnt get in touch as would have met you for a coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

of #1 and #2 I prefer the extremities of #2 (as well as the b/w tones)

love the boat and the DOF. Mind not made up on the rock, bottom right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Shame you didnt get in touch as would have met you for a coffee

Was a very snap decision flagged on my twitter feed yesterday 10 minutes before I left. Don't think I have a phone number for you btw.
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    of #1 and #2 I prefer the extremities of #2 (as well as the b/w tones)

love the boat and the DOF. Mind not made up on the rock, bottom right.

Probably if I fix the horizon on the boat, the rock will get cropped out. I'm tempted....

Calina wrote: »
    I'm tempted....

Do it!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement