Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/convective discussion: Spring 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

owenc wrote: »
    Yea and one of them showers just hit nearby station lowering temp.. Now I won't hit 20cc hate these **** showers! In Florida it was 32c at 8am vand by lunchtime it was 18c we were stuck with jumpers all day!

Do you not love a good storm owen no? 16.8C here with some bubbly cumulus around, have the camera going on timelapse:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thunder and Lightning to my south, coming closer to me as I type, between Rathangan and Monasterevin, heavy rain too, drove me in out of the garden, with only half the missus list completed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

trogdor wrote: »
    Do you not love a good storm owen no? 16.8C here with some bubbly cumulus around, have the camera going on timelapse:)

Not when it leaves a mass of cloud which is reluctant to clear, and keeps the temperature down.. i am very angry as i am stuck with 15c on what couldv'e been a 20c day.:mad: The showers wont be too strong at this time of the year either the one i had was just like drizzle complete waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

nilhg wrote: »
    Thunder and Lightning to my south, coming closer to me as I type, between Rathangan and Monasterevin, heavy rain too, drove me in out of the garden, with only half the missus list completed.

Heading my way now. Showing up nicely on sferic maps

stormpic.jpg

Skies starting to look very threatening here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Lightning here in Maynooth just now. House alarms going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Big squall of showers strengthening on route to the greater Dublin region, some good radar echoes and sferics :D:D

Thunderstorm here in south wicklow at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

About two hours ago there was a very heavy shower here rain and hail mix, thundery in nature, no thunder or lightning but the satellite signal went during it.

storm is easing out to sea to the south now.
    Fair few bangs out of her.

Gosh is it summer again-phew!

• Advertisement

Thunder heard here, out West somewhere over the mountains. Hopefully approaching:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Lightning and hail just outside Waterford about 30 mins ago.

Real humdinger approaching from the west now, a few rumbles, nice visible gustfront, now heavy precip shield, maynooth getting drenched

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Some thunder around Navan right now, seems to have came and went within minutes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nothing in Galway City all day. Back home now and becoming increasingly convective all of a sudden. Might scrape an evening shower if I'm lucky. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Su Campu wrote: »
    Real humdinger approaching from the west now, a few rumbles, nice visible gustfront, now heavy precip shield, maynooth getting drenched

Did it look like this? that's not my pic btw, credit to T9 from the IWN .

img20051024x768.jpg

Timelapse of most of the day here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT7yoc32w3I&
    Sorry for the skips in it..i had it set to autofocus before shooting by mistake and whenever it couldn't focus it dropped a frame:mad:

trogdor wrote: »
    Timelapse of most of the day here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT7yoc32w3I&
    Sorry for the skips in it..i had it set to autofocus before shooting by mistake and whenever it couldn't focus it dropped a frame:mad:

Don't worry about it Peter, it still a fantastic timelapse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Trogdor,

That is absolutley brilliant! Thanks a million for that! :)

Hal1 wrote: »
    Did it look like this? that's not my pic btw, credit to T9 from the IWN .

That looks like the one alright. I took a lot of photos of it but none came out as well as that one!

• Advertisement

I moved some of the posts discussing timelapse to a new thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65596627
    and added a new video from this evening:)

Could be a few rumbles around today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

funny,been raining on an off all morning,has dried up the last hour,partly cloudy now but a huge rumble of thunder looking out the window heavy dark cloud n/ne of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Was Down the village and just came out of the shop and seen the huge cloud ... Got on my bike and rushed back to the house. Just in the door and the downpour started. Still no thunder tough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

got dark here suddenly,no thunder just started raining though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

thunder and lightning in Athlone, 4-5 flashes. Huge hail shower also.

Very threatening looking structures around here at the moment, looked very funnel/tornado-esque at times just out to sea off Dalkey but there never appeared to be any rotation in it. Just starting to bucket rain here now.

A potentially showery day forecast for tomorrow too:

112486.jpg

I'm choosing to ignore that white patch over Galway though. :mad::pac:

Source: http://www.yr.no/sted/Norden/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Very localised thundery showers today, some lovely cloud formations as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A quite significant downpour which woke me up (which is rare in itself to happen) has being going on here in Dublin 2 for the past 20 minutes. I've seen heavier downpours but not by much. Interestingly, I see that it's falling as a mixture of rain and hail. Mainly rain. This is in Dublin 2.

Are outbreaks of thunder and lightning likely today?

Advertisement