Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/convective discussion: Spring 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Danno's detector picked up a weak cell off Galway. It seems to have fizzled out though :(. On sat24 you can see some good definition of the squall line, as it reached land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Deffo didn't fizzle out. Was on the phone to the OH just 5 minutes ago and phone got cut off, she rang back saying there was a terrible clap of thunder just then, she's terrified...I said I was jealous...she hung up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Deffo didn't fizzle out. Was on the phone to the OH just 5 minutes ago and phone got cut off, she rang back saying there was a terrible clap of thunder just then, she's terrified...I said I was jealous...she hung up:D

Where in the west?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential rain thunder and lightning here in Galway been a few very long claps of thunder. :D:D

Out near Loughrea

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Torrential rain thunder and lightning here in Galway been a few very long claps of thunder. :D:D
    AAggghhh, why does it happen while I'm stuck in doors......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

thunder and ligntening here now

Keep the reports coming in folks, remember to state your location. The amount of flashes you see per minute would be fantastic to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

AAggghhh, why does it happen while I'm stuck in doors......:(

Go outside, The rain is lovely and warm. I am just in a teeshirt. its beautiful!!

The blessed rain has arrived at last!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Rainfall rates have really taken off in the northwest within the last hour...

latest_radar.gif

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    Rainfall rates have really taken off in the northwest within the last hour...

latest_radar.gif

That area of showers over the SE look pretty explosive too. :eek:

IRISH DETECTORS LIST:

Antrim: http://www.sproule.co.uk/weather/svlightning.html
    Westmeath: http://www.irlweather.com/wxStormVue.php Offline at Times
    Laois: http://www.live.laoisweather.com/lightning/
    Cork: http://www.corklightning.com/

NOTICE: These detectors will not plot every lightning strike on the maps. If the storm is rather weak, less than 5 or 10 strikes per minute then the location of each strike can be incorrect - however the direction of the strike from the base will be always correct.

Rain has stopped here but clouds are really low and fast moving. Yet not a breath of wind. Feels as tropical as it looks. Great stuff! :) 13.3c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's just starting here now, nice big drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

big big drops in leixlip, i got drenched in a just a few minutes outside.the clouds have that thundery look a bout them!

Hi all, any chance of thunder and lightning for Lucan area , would anyone know?

Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

there was some thunder and lightning here about an hour ago. there was thundery rain for about 30- 40 minutes before hand. it's just raining lightly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Jake1 wrote: »
    Hi all, any chance of thunder and lightning for Lucan area , would anyone know?

Thanks .

Clouds are dark blue here in Hillcrest :eek:
    there was some thunder and lightning here about an hour ago. there was thundery rain for about 30- 40 minutes before hand. it's just raining lightly now.

Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

IvySlayer wrote: »

Where do you live?

Mayo.

IvySlayer wrote: »

Where do you live?

Im in Weston, same here. I dug the garden today so Im glad for the rain :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Hi Everyone,

Great to hear the West has got some lightning/thunder!!

Sadly here in the North West (Enniskillen) we have just got rain for the past hour or so, pretty muggy outside, and darker clouds moving in from the S/W W.

Anyone any ideas if theres anymore thunder/lightning on the way??

Sadly the radars have shown up nothing in terms of lightning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Damp and merky in Castlebar now,compared with torrential rain,thunder and quite a bit of lightening from around 4pm to 6pm.just hear Jean Byrne saying the risk of more thunder is almost "zero".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

[QUOTE=.just hear Jean Byrne saying the risk of more thunder is almost "zero".[/QUOTE]

:(

it's just raining lightly now.

Ditto, very gloomy evening. Sultry though. :)

From the 10pm Met hourly reports:

Gurteen: 5.8mm Moderate Rain
    Mullingar: 5.7mm Heavy Rain.

Is their a different critera for rainfall intensity at various met stations? What is deemed heavy at Mullingar is considered moderate at Gurteen despite the same hourly totals? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

Lightening strike in Athenry earlier, unfortunately I was in Galway city at the time but came home at around 10pm and my neighbour came out to tell me that a neighbouring house had a hole in the roof and that next door's tv had been blown off the wall. Missed all the excitement, there were 2 fire engines attending.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From the 10pm Met hourly reports:

Gurteen: 5.8mm Moderate Rain
    Mullingar: 5.7mm Heavy Rain.

Is their a different critera for rainfall intensity at various met stations? What is deemed heavy at Mullingar is considered moderate at Gurteen despite the same hourly totals? :confused:

I think you sort of answered your own question. It's to do with intensity.

5.0mm of rain falling over one hour would be considered moderate, whereas 5.0mm of rain falling in 10 minutes or so would be considered heavy or very heavy.

While met stations are only reporting hourly totals, they are also recording intensity and reporting as a description.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think you sort of answered your own question. It's to do with intensity.

5.0mm of rain falling over one hour would be considered moderate, whereas 5.0mm of rain falling in 10 minutes or so would be considered heavy or very heavy.

While met stations are only reporting hourly totals, they are also recording intensity and reporting as a description.

Thanks. So do they report the weather conditions at per the top of the hour, or what the average weather was in the lead up to the top of the hour?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks. So do they report the weather conditions at per the top of the hour, or what the average weather was in the lead up to the top of the hour?

Good question? :confused:

I suspect it depends, I'd say general weather is reported as to what is happening at the top of the hour but also I suppose any significant event in the last hour, like thunder, or you will also see recent rain or recent snow. So again I'd say it depends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

if its not owenc getting all the good weather its the west ;),typical :D,p***in dwn here

Advertisement