Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North America Maps

Options
  • 22-03-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I have a garmin nuvi 200w with Ireland maps on it but im heading over to the states next month and wonder what my options are apart from renting one. Ill be driving for 3 days so wonder can anyone point me in the right direction

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your only driving for 3 days renting would be the cheaper option. If you are planning some return trips you may consider buying the maps & using your own device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I can but the maps from the garmin site right? Is there much to installing then or how about buying the sd card off eBay? I'm sure someone will get the use out of it. To rent it costs 11.99 dollars a day. I may end up renting it for more than 3. One of the lads said buy one in walmart?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can buy off Garmin and install on an SD card anyway. Buy remember maps are locked to the device you purchase them for, so they will be no use to anyone else.

even if I buy off ebay can only use them once? thanks for all this

hi koolkid just thought id let you know i bought an sd card ofa guy on ebay and the card can be used on any nt device and does not lock to a certain sat nav which is cool

• Advertisement

Sounds suspicious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Certain pirate copies of Maps are available on eBay.
    These are locked to the SD Card only, using the SD Card i.d. number, and can be used in any device.
    However, there is no guarantee that the card is of decent quality, and quite a few just stop working, due to bad cards.

If you buy one of these cards, you will not be able to up date your map using the Garmin web-site, as the map will not be a genuine product.

Cheers for this lads. It cost 52 euro and I'm prepared for the risk of it failing after a while. I'll only ever be using it when I'm off to the states or friends are so it won't be constantly plugged. I like the idea it can be used in different sat navs as I do go through them about 3 a year.

Edit item number <snip> he says it's a genuine garmin card

Removed item number. If it is an illegal item we are not promoting it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Cheers for this lads. It cost 52 euro and I'm prepared for the risk of it failing after a while. I'll only ever be using it when I'm off to the states or friends are so it won't be constantly plugged. I like the idea it can be used in different sat navs as I do go through them about 3 a year.

Edit item number <snip> he says it's a genuine garmin card

Might as well spend your €52 directly with Garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

About the same price, inc. delivery, from amazon.co.uk.

sesswhat wrote: »
    Might as well spend your €52 directly with Garmin.

garmin ones are locked to one device though

koolkid wrote: »
    Removed item number. If it is an illegal item we are not promoting it here.

you dont know its an illegal item though? he says its genuine

blahblah06 wrote: »
    you dont know its an illegal item though? he says its genuine
    I am going on the basis that Garmin have always locked maps to devices.
    Anything else sounds dodgy to me. Unless you can confirm these are gunuine Garmin products do not discuss any further here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I am going on the basis that Garmin have always locked maps to devices.
    Anything else sounds dodgy to me. Unless you can confirm these are gunuine Garmin products do not discuss any further here.
    The maps supplied by Garmin themselves on SD cards are locked to the card itself rather than to a unit. SD cards have a unique ID built into them that the maps are tied to, which means that if you simply copied the contents to another SD card they wouldn't work.

That's not to say that the ones for sale on eBay are genuine though as the copy protection isn't exactly bullet-proof shall we say.

Thanks You Alun. I will see what I can find out.
    I will still error on the side of caution here. If you want to discuss these cards & if they work on multiple devices please quote only references to official garmin sources, If these are genuine I am sure Garmin will be selling them themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If these are genuine I am sure Garmin will be selling them themselves.
    They do, as has already been pointed out.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6299&pvID=7876

Regarding the legality of using them in multiple units, see the second point here ...http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODSelfService/request.do?create=kb:garmin&view%28%29=c{16315fb0-39b2-11de-5dd5-000000000000}

There are snags though .. you can't use the maps obtained this way in Mapsource, and there are no upgrades, i.e. if you want a more up to date version you have to buy it all over again.

Advertisement