Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuning Box vs Remap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

That tuning box is nothing but a resistor costing a few euros in a box that tricks the car into thinking the diesel is colder than it is so the car inject more,you get an initial surge but nothing much after that,a real tuning box should cost in the region of 400 euro,but even at that i would prefer to pay similar money for a remap - its the only through way of altering performance parameters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've got a tuning box. It's only there because my remap guy I trust is waiting on new equipment to do my car. It's okay, but all it does is forcefeed the engine with more diesel. It's a bit weird up around 100mph, and can hunt when idling on a cold morning. Fuel consumption is up too.

A remap will improve consumption, and be suited to the engine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for that.

It sounds a lot like that evry mod I read about on TDI club. Basically a resistor thats wired into a switch in the car. Flick it and you get more boom. Apparently.

Ill steer clear so and think about a remap.

This Petes tuning box seems to be a rather cool piece of kit though. No link handy but a review was quite positive from the same engine I run but in an Octavia.

Thanks all

btw. PaintDoc, what kinda price would I be looking at for a remap? Apparently it will get my engine up to 120 hp or so. I wouldnt mind a little more go go if its upper in the rev range or lower but in a higher gear. Overtaking can be slow, not dangerously so but I would like to have more urgency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Check out www.chippedire.com,Joe is the only guy in the country i'd let remap my car he knows TDI's inside out,i had my old golf remapped by him plus practically every TDI/2.0TFSI and 1.8T on vagdrivers.net has been done by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I checked that out. He seems to do some good stuff TDI wise.

There is a thread in his forum in vagdrivers I think and there is someone with the 90hp VE TDI like mine and he did an injector and remap job and he got it up to 138hp.

Id love that much but Id be afraid of the insurance, clutch, general handling.
    On the insurance front a friend got his BWM 320D mapped up to near 200 hp and the insurance stayed the same on renewal.

Im rather pleased with the idea of remapping my wagon to around the 120 mark if it gives me more urgency at higher speeds for overtaking, but getting 138hp would be something Im only toying with right now. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement