Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are your thoughts on Roy Keane

• 22-03-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

I ask, has Roy Keane got to much to say for himself?

should he keep his views to himself? or if asked, should he say what he wants and feels to the press?

also, as a manager, is he good or bad? did he get lucky with Sunderland in the championship bringing them to the premiership? and than in the premiership did he get found out as a manager? Sunderland where in relegation zone when he left but are still in the premiership now.

with Ipswich Town he has won 10 drew 17 and lost 11 so far and had a fair few bust ups with his own players
    Ipswich are in a worse position now than they were before he took them over.

my opinion is as a player he was world class, as a captain he led by example and was one to look up to, but some of his comments on radio he should really have kept to himself and kept his eye on his own job with Ipswich.

whats you opinion on Roy Keane?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

IBTL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Not THIS again!!?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

all credit to ya.

OP

Did you have to ask this question?? Unless you've been living under a rock for the last 8 or so years, it's well documented what people think of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

OP

Did you have to ask this question?? Unless you've been living under a rock for the last 8 or so years, it's well documented what people think of him.

alot of things on boards is well documented but people still post about it?

the subject of Keane is still 50/50 and would like to see posters on boards.ie views on it

if you dont want to post about it, dont go on the page;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I love Roy,

Yours,

Trigger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hes one of those people who i can see where they are coming from but im not so sure he should be there. great mental strength and id imagine hes very funny. i think he maybe expects the world to see everything through his eyes though. he has little / no tolerance for idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Roy Loves and Talks about Roy enough for all of us.

The only man I know that **** his ego before he goes to bed instead of....
    whats your thaughts on Roy Keane

Judging by the phonetic spelling I'm guessing you're from Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Is that you Johnson??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Facking cork cant

alot of things on boards is well documented but people still post about it?

the subject of Keane is still 50/50 and would like to see posters on boards.ie views on it

if you dont want to post about it, dont go on the page;)

I gave an opinion - which is what you asked in the first place, was it not??

Great player.

Talks some shíte these days.

Most footballers should not be allowed to speak in public imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I like him. There ya go. My thaughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He's the last of the proper footballers, imo.

Every footballer since him is a preening ponce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He eats babies and/or is the second coming.

what do you think he is as a manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Eh...meh. Meh.

God, meh is the best word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

No abuse will be tolerated in here lads, you all know the rules so please try and discuss/debate it like adults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's allowed to say whatever he wants to imo. What, he shouldn't have an opinion on the same things you hear all the Premier League managers talking about. Journalists go to his press conferences looking for that 1 line that they can take out of context and write an article on.

• Advertisement

he does walk into it in fairness,

he might even do it on purpose :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I love Roy Keane the player, one of my favourite players to grace Old Trafford

do I love Roy Keane the manager ? Hit and miss tbh, during Henry Gate, I thought he was very bitter towards the FAI, but he says it like it is, so you have to give him credit for that I suppose (even if you don't particularly agree with it)

Roy really comes out with great stuff

here's his latest quote
    "I certainly learnt so much about the players the other night it was untrue," Keane told Sky Sports News.

"People talk about getting angry and listen anger's good. It is good to get angry, trust me it is an emotion, it is part of the game.

"If people upset you and you don't get angry I think you are in the wrong game."

Asked if the anger should be controlled, Keane said: "No. Sometimes it is good to go a bit mad.

"I don't throw teacups, it is not my style, I think I would rather throw punches."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A legend. An icon. An enigma. A warrior. A poet. A champion. A leader. An Irishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He's from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

A legend. An icon. An enigma. A warrior. A poet. A champion. A leader. An Irishman.

A pain in the hole.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I wont bother reading this thread

All ill say is, we dont need another train wreck so soon after the united/liverpool thread

funny thing about Roy is, as much as i don't particularly like the guy-since he's been a manager, i agree with nearly everything he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

stovelid wrote: »
    He's from Cork.

...and he named his dog after Jason MacAteer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Great player, not a great manager...yet. Could still be in time but, I have my doubts! Don't agree with the way he left the Irish set-up or with a lot of what he has to say but, at least he answers any question asked with honesty.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    funny thing about Roy is, as much as i don't particularly like the guy-since he's been a manager, i agree with nearly everything he says.

i just developed some extra love for you (manly love obv)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

My favourite player of all time and because of that id like to see him succeed as a manager. Ive followed Ipswich's season closely as a result and i genuinely believe he is making headway. They are a very solid unit who are very hard to beat. They lack a bit of craft in the midfield and an out and out goalscorer (although Daryl Murphy has been a surprising success) but id fancy them to go up next year.

He is a bit of a nut but its hard not to agree with a lot of what he says.

for some reason, i think if he gets his management career back on track and builds on the early promise he's shown, i just have a weird feeling he's gonna end up at Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Went up in my book after this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I loved him when he played for united, such passion for the game.

I think though as a manager he needs to shut up more often and just get on with things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If he brought the lge to Anfield I wouldn't give a fiddlers who he is or what I thought of him!

• Advertisement

for some reason, i think if he gets his management career back on track and builds on the early promise he's shown, i just have a weird feeling he's gonna end up at Liverpool.

i think that would actually be the end of me

i would highly doubt it anyway, sure he has said Hughes should probably never have gone to city after being at united, that there are certain teams you just dont become associated with after being with manchester united

he's always spoken very highly of Liverpool as a club. and if i'm not mistaken, said that Rafa was the manager who helped him most in his first year or two in the Sunderland job. In my opinion, although he is very opinionated, he views football the right way. He just needs to tone down the nutcase side of his public persona which makes him an easy target for the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Maurice is a sound guy.
    Suffers from a bit of paranoia from time to time, sometimes appears to crack under pressure but in general a good guy.

Oh Jesus Christ I hope so. I would actually die laughing.

he's always spoken very highly of Liverpool as a club. and if i'm not mistaken, said that Rafa was the manager who helped him most in his first year or two in the Sunderland job. In my opinion, although he is very opinionated, he views football the right way. He just needs to tone down the nutcase side of his public persona which makes him an easy target for the media

of course, he respects Liverpools heritage and traditions

But I would have good money on him turning it down, if, and of course, its a massive if at the moment, he was ever offered the Liverpool job

• Advertisement

i really am plucking the idea of it out of my arse, just a weird feeling i've always had since he started managing. i've also always had a feeling Joe Cole is gonna play for Liverpool!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

He has a long, long,long way to go before he could even be considered for the Liverpool job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Great player, sh!t manager.
    Hate the guy for turning his back on his country, and hate him even more these days the way has always has an opinion on what Trap or other managers are doing...while he hasn't a clue himself.
    Love to see Ipswich go down, but looks like Daryl Murphys goals will save him. Still a long way off the promised promotion he gave Ipswich fans at start of season.

ah you can have joe cole these days

kryogen wrote: »
    of course, he respects Liverpools heritage and traditions

But I would have good money on him turning it down, if, and of course, its a massive if at the moment, he was ever offered the Liverpool job

Lets be honest the Liverpool job would be a very hard thing for any one with ambitions as a manager to turn down. The UTD and Liverpool jobs are the 2 with the most prestige in England. City Arsenal and Chelsea would be easy enough for him to turn down but the history of Liverpool would draw him to it i reckon. (Cant see it ever happening though)

i really am plucking the idea of it out of my arse, just a weird feeling i've always had since he started managing. i've also always had a feeling Joe Cole is gonna play for Liverpool!

He certainly wouldn't turn it down if it were offered. I can't see it happening to be honest as I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to manage Liverpool. But I don't think for one second he'd turn down the Liverpool job because of history at United. Bear in mind he didn't exactly leave United on great terms and knowing the way Keane's mind works, he'd have no bother working for their sworn enemies, in fact I bet there's a part of him that would f*cking love it for that very reason. Just to be the boll*x.:pac:

But as I said it'll never happen, he's a pretty sh*t manager.

hence why i said, my hunch was based on him fulfilling the early promise he showed.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Hate the guy for turning his back on his country, and hate him even more these days the way has always has an opinion on what Trap or other managers are doing...while he hasn't a clue himself.
    Love to see Ipswich go down, but looks like Daryl Murphys goals will save him. Still a long way off the promised promotion he gave Ipswich fans at start of season.

he didnt promise promotion

There is more then Daryl Murphy on the team, hard team to beat actually, check how many games they have lost this season

Showing promise as a manager in fact

Stevecw wrote: »

Not really that far off to be fair. 8 Points off the playoff's. They were very unlucky with a lot of those draws, goals in the dying seconds, disallowed goals, hitting the woodwork etc. If only 4 of the 17 draws had been converted to wins then they would be sitting in the playoff positions right now.

Rob113 wrote: »
    Not really that far off to be fair. 8 Points off the playoff's. They were very unlucky with a lot of those draws, goals in the dying seconds, disallowed goals, hitting the woodwork etc. If only 4 of the 17 draws had been converted to wins then they would be sitting in the playoff positions right now.

ah now dont let the facts get in the way of a good old Keane bashing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement