Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are your thoughts on Roy Keane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Rob113 wrote: »
    Not really that far off to be fair. 8 Points off the playoff's. They were very unlucky with a lot of those draws, goals in the dying seconds, disallowed goals, hitting the woodwork etc. If only 4 of the 17 draws had been converted to wins then they would be sitting in the playoff positions right now.

In that case Arsenal would have won the league a couple of times over the last few years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not really that far off to be fair. 8 Points off the playoff's. They were very unlucky with a lot of those draws, goals in the dying seconds, disallowed goals, hitting the woodwork etc. If only 4 of the 17 draws had been converted to wins then they would be sitting in the playoff positions right now.

11 points isn't it? Which means at the moment he's a mediocre Championship manager who has failed pretty badly in the Premiership despite being given a huge wad of cash to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

OPENROAD wrote: »
    In that case Arsenal would have won the league a couple of times over the last few years :D

I just responded to the poster who said Ipswich were a long way off promotion. They have been decent enough since the turn of the year and have now one 3 in the last 4. Theres a very fine line between where they are now and where they want to be. I dont think he has done a bad job. Point taken though it is all ifs and buts.

I just responded to the poster who said Ipswich were a long way off promotion. They have been decent enough since the turn of the year and have now one 3 in the last 4. Theres a very fine line between where they are now and where they want to be. I dont think he has done a bad job. Point taken though it is all ifs and buts.

No you are right it is a fair point, that said I still think the jury is out on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

flahavaj wrote: »
    11 points isn't it? Which means at the moment he's a mediocre Championship manager who has failed pretty badly in the Premiership despite being given a huge wad of cash to spend.

Apologies. It was only 8 before tonights game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

no no no, different story all together, your squad lacks depth!

theres a whole thread on it sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Great player, **** attitude.

The entire Haaland incident spolied my opinion of him. Intentionally going out to injure another player because he thought you feigned an injury is a disgusting attitude to have.

Saipan, I couldn't give a toss. Him and Mick both dropped the ball on that one and, personally, it was a draw in terms of my opinions of them.

As a manager, he speaks his mind way too much on stuff that doesn't concern him. He's not achieved enough as a manager to go mouthing off about whatever he likes.

I couldn't care less how he fares as a manager. If he does well, fair play to him. If he struggles, I'm not going to lose sleep. If he ever became Ireland boss, I'd support him.

There's no denying his ability. He was a brilliant player. Like Schmeichel, Man U haven't, and probably won't ever, replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I despise him for a whole host of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

diamond geezer is our Roy, pure diamond 'e is.

(not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

As a city fan I can't abide the man for obvious reasons:mad:

Any "professional athlete" that would behave like he did should be ashamed of themselves.

I can't stand seeing him on the tv yabbering on with his innane waffle every chance he gets. He's fast becoming more of a joke than he already was!!

we should all probably turn off our mobiles before we post in here in case Royboy is online, he tends to go apesh!t easily enough

and the train wreck has begun, got 5 pages though

impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kryogen, people not being able to stand the bloke does not make this thread a train wreck. You have to able to accept negative things will be said about a bloke who admitted he went out to hurt an opponent in a shocking shocking challenge.

well, people giving their opinions is grand, then people who are going to continually post negative bull**** on here are going to wind people like myself up, this will cause a train wreck

its why i said, it has begun

cause papawhatever his name is, has already said he doesnt like him, then comes back to make a snide comment designed to get thanks from people who dont like keane and designed to get the backs up of people who do

if you cant see how that will end in a train wreck then.......ah you can so theres no point in finishing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

10gxth1.jpg

• Advertisement

do you think if Roy Keane had of played for Liverpool or City, you'd like him or despise him for his at times thuggish behaviour? honestly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Very easy to get caught up in all the hatred thrown toward Roy but I just think the guys brilliant. Honest, straight to the point, doesn't hold back, tells it like it is, not afraid to air his views and have a go at journalists who let their phone ring during a press conference :D Was half expecting (or hoping even!) him to jump over the table and punch the guy who'se phone was ringing.
    Great player, absolute legend of a guy.

kryogen wrote: »
    well, people giving their opinions is grand, then people who are going to continually post negative bull**** on here are going to wind people like myself up, this will cause a train wreck

its why i said, it has begun

cause papawhatever his name is, has already said he doesnt like him, then comes back to make a snide comment designed to get thanks from people who dont like keane and designed to get the backs up of people who do

if you cant see how that will end in a train wreck then.......ah you can so theres no point in finishing that

..i was only taking the pish..
    (raises white flag to Kyrogen)
    sure come on and we take another dig or two at Terry and the boys if it helps turn that frown upside down

Mr Alan wrote: »
    do you think if Roy Keane had of played for Liverpool or City, you'd like him or despise him for his at times thuggish behaviour? honestly

not relevant tbh

but cause i like you, i am sure i would like him yes

i like plenty of players who havent played for united but have at times displayed thuggish behaviour, cant see why he would be different

add to that that he is the greatest player to ever play for ireland and i am pretty sure i would still love him in fact

hold on, are you genuinely telling me if the captain of your fiercest rivals went out intentionally **** up a United player in a serious way, you would still like him?come on . . . pull the other one.

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    ..i was only taking the pish..
    (raises white flag to Kyrogen)
    sure come on and we take another dig or two at Terry and the boys if it helps turn that frown upside down

white flag accepted :D

Terry? overrated player, Carvalho made him look better then he ever was (Carvalho in his prime would make most central defenders he partnered look better then they ever were so its not a real swipe at Terry) and his form has really been poor lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Now that challenge on Haland was poor. But lets get one thing straight, he not first player to have went out to hurt another player and wont be last.

He told the truth and that was difference.

I don't mind a bit of "thuggish" behaviour or "hard man" antics on the pitch now and again but most people would agree that he took it a step too far!!!

hold on, are you genuinely telling me if the captain of your fiercest rivals went out intentionally **** up a United player in a serious way, you would still like him?come on . . . pull the other one.

tbf City were hardly our fiercest rivals

And its ok if you dont believe me, i am pretty sure i will still sleep ok later

Now that challenge on Haland was poor. But lets get one thing straight, he not first player to have went out to hurt another player and wont be last.

this over and over again

Ah well sure then isn't it all grand, just grand:rolleyes:
    As long as he was honest about it
    Are you serious?????
    Really!!

And :confused:

And :confused:

the point being made is that he gets vilified as if he was the only player to ever do this

this is wrong

the point being made is that he gets vilified as if he was the only player to ever do this

this is wrong

Sometimes it's a hard thing, to absolutely prove intent without an admission from the guilty party though. He deserves any criticisms he receives for that to be honest, it's inexcusable!

this is wrong

Don't think so in fairness, but lets be honest it was more than just a poor tackle.

• Advertisement

Ah well sure then isn't it all grand, just grand:rolleyes:
    As long as he was honest about it
    Are you serious?????
    Really!!

No it was a shocker agree, but there been thousands of shocking tackles in past. Even this weekend I saw few.

Jesus if that was case then no player be liked.

this is wrong

Other players have been vilified for things in the past as well as Keane but saying he was the not the only one does not excuse or make any less vicious what he did!!!
    As a city fan I was particularly Effed off about it, that's all I'm saying!

No it was a shocker agree, but there been thousands of shocking tackles in past. Even this weekend I saw few.

Please god, stop throwing out the same old line!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think everyone's horror at the Haaland incident is that it was not just a poor tackle. The ball was gone, Keane knew exactly what he was doing. Watch the video. He goes straight for Haaland's knee.

The fact that he takes a personal grudge over a slight on Haaland's behalf to such an extreme is scary and disgusting. If it was off the football pitch, he would have been called a psycho and a scumbag, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

for some reason, i think if he gets his management career back on track and builds on the early promise he's shown, i just have a weird feeling he's gonna end up at Liverpool.

If he continues the good work being done by recent managers, I'm all for it.

Other players have been vilified for things in the past as well as Keane but saying he was the not the only one does not excuse or make any less vicious what he did!!!

other players have not been vilified ot the level Keane has imo, and rightly so as he came out and admitted he wanted to hurt him

all im saying is he wasnt the first and he wont be the last

I obviously understand you having a special hatred of him as a city fan, i have no problems with that whatsoever

Please god, stop throwing out the same old line!!!

you asked me question I answered.

If I knew you were going be that childish I would not have bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Master of the backways/sideways 2 yard pass.
    Walked out on his country.
    Faked injury to avoid playing for his country.
    Ended another player's career .
    Sent off every 15 games or so.
    Never won the european cup - the stated intention of his manager when he bought him.
    Inability to communicate.

I don't see anything to like about him, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

He had a great mentality on the pitch. Obviously a fantastic player, one of Ireland top 3 footballers.
    But if I continue to say what I think of him I'll get banned. He's up there with Stephen Ireland as footballers I really don't like.

• Advertisement

Never won the european cup - the stated intention of his manager when he bought him.

every single one of your points is wrong

thats actually quite an achievement, well played sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't mind a bit of "thuggish" behaviour or "hard man" antics on the pitch now and again but most people would agree that he took it a step too far!!!

Yeah you'd never see a City player engage in thuggish behaviour, eh?

ronaldoRKMS_468x351.jpg

ronaldoRKMS_468x351.jpg

Not on the same level at all!

ah but im sure you get the point, there have been many players, for many teams who have engaged in "ungentlemanly" behaviour

i am not lessening what Keane did by saying that

ah but im sure you get the point, there have been many players, for many teams who have engaged in "ungentlemanly" behaviour

i am not lessening what Keane did by saying that

There have but, not so many to quite the same extent as Keane either I'm sure you'll agree?

:pac::pac::pac:

_41033756_treble-getty416.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

jasonorr wrote:
    Not on the same level at all!
    jasonorr wrote: »
    There have but, not so many to quite the same extent as Keane either I'm sure you'll agree?

Thuggery is thuggery at the end of the day. There's no denying Keane went over the limit but he's not the only one to do so and the villification of him on that basis smacks of hypocrisy to me.

Hell, you have a picture in your sig of Keown whacking Rudd in the back of the head. :pac:

yeah i was going to mention your wonderful sig actually jason ;)

mr nice guy, while your thuggery is thuggery comment is all well and good, it still doesn't explain people gettin overly sensitive to him being criticized for that aspect of his behaviour in a thread about Roy Keane and what people think of him-i'd imagine it'd be fairly strong theme in a thread about Thatcher/Bowyer/Barton etc. As well

Thuggery is thuggery at the end of the day. There's no denying Keane went over the limit but he's not the only one to do so and the villification of him on that basis smacks of hypocrisy to me.

Hell, you have a picture in your sig of Keown whacking Rudd in the back of the head. :pac:

Come off it, there are different levels of thuggery and I honestly can't remember a worse/equally bad incident! People get criticised and labelled for their actions, sometimes overly so but, Keane set out to injure Haaland that day for the pettiest of reasons. He really is lucky his career wasn't ended that day and for that, Keane deserves to have that count against him.

As for Keown? It wasn't in any way serious and you know it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ronaldoRKMS_468x351.jpg
    I am jealous of him tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement