Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are your thoughts on Roy Keane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

:pac::pac::pac:

_41033756_treble-getty416.jpg

Hey, I was wearing a suit while watching the CL final too.
    Can I have a cl medal?

No I can't. And neither can he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

kryogen wrote: »
    yeah i was going to mention your wonderful sig actually jason ;)

See above, a bit silly to make any comparisons, which I'll give you the benifit of doubt over! I never liked van Nistlerooy and any time I see Keown he reminds me of that day and how critical a match it was in our amazing unbeaten run.

Can I have a cl medal?

He has one!

every single one of your points is wrong

thats actually quite an achievement, well played sir

Well, if you say so, then it must all be incorrect.
    Who are you ?

jasonorr wrote: »
    He has one!

No, no he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can I have a cl medal?

LOL he does have a medal

you can have a medal from me if you like?

i admire your commitment to fail

darth-vader-epic-fail.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can I have a cl medal?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: and :rolleyes:

Im sorry but I just had to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

No, no he doesn't.
    Even if he doesn't so what? He played a huge part in United winning the competition.

He won the European Cup.

No, no he doesn't.

I was pretty sure he had one, this article suggests otherwise but, I'm still not so sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    mr nice guy, while your thuggery is thuggery comment is all well and good, it still doesn't explain people gettin overly sensitive to him being criticized for that aspect of his behaviour in a thread about Roy Keane and what people think of him-i'd imagine it'd be fairly strong theme in a thread about Thatcher/Bowyer/Barton etc. As well

I guess I find it strange that Irish fans would hate him for the thuggery reason. Thatcher/Bowyer/Barton etc. weren't some of the greatest players our country ever had. Keane was.

I could understand Irish fans hating him for say Saipan (though I personally support him on that) but hating him because he was a thug at his club? Every clubs has players who went OTT. Chopper Harris, Souness, Giles, Keown as mentioned above, to name but a few.

I find it strange that Irish fans would allow club matters affect their view of a national sportsman.

BTW Keane does have a CL medal. He mentions it in his book how he feels he doesn't deserve it despite people telling him he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah you'd never see a City player engage in thuggish behaviour, eh?

ronaldoRKMS_468x351.jpg

Always more of a Ben Thatcher man myself ;)

ill paraphrase his line in the book on it
    Me and Scholesy got medals too of course, but it doesnt mean anything to me to be honest, I didnt play in the most important match of the competition, I put a brave face on it, but it was one of the worst experiences of my life

lol just wikied him to see if its mentioned there

its not, that i saw, but i did come across this in relation to his media worlk

legend
    Keane has done media work but expressed his unenthusiasm to do so again in future when he said, "I was asked last week by ITV to do the Celtic game," he said. "A couple of weeks before that I was asked to do the United game against Celtic at Old Trafford. I think I've done it once for Sky. Never again. I'd rather go to the dentist. You're sitting there with people like Richard Keys and they're trying to sell something that's not there." Keane added, "Anytime I watch a game on television I have to turn the commentators off."

good analagy of sky sports tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Always more of a Ben Thatcher man myself ;)

How about Franny Lee? Got to hand it to a guy that doesn't back down from Norman Hunter. Don't think I'd be as brave. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I find it strange that Irish fans would allow club matters affect their view of a national sportsman.

For some club matters are more important in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

jasonorr wrote: »
    As for Keown? It wasn't in any way serious and you know it!

Just in regards to Arsenal, I recall an incident a few months after an alleged racist comment towards Ian Wright by Schmeichel. It was at Highbury. Wright ran through on goal with little chance of getting the ball before Schmeichel and launched himself at Schmeichel. Could it have been pre-meditated? We may never know. It definitely looked pretty bad at the time.

wright-schmeichel.jpg

how had i forgotten that!

how had i forgotten that!

Schmikes managed to carry on with the game but I remember thinking "Shit, his season is over".

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Just in regards to Arsenal, I recall an incident a few months after an alleged racist comment towards Ian Wright by Schmeichel. It was at Highbury. Wright ran through on goal with little chance of getting the ball before Schmeichel and launched himself at Schmeichel. Could it have been pre-meditated? We may never know. It definitely looked pretty bad at the time.

wright-schmeichel.jpg

From what I recall he was entitled to go for the ball, he had the opportunity to get the ball imo

Certainly wouldn't compare this to the Keane incident.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    From what I recall he was entitled to go for the ball, he had the opportunity to get the ball imo

Certainly wouldn't compare this to the Keane incident.

We don't know what Wright's intentions were, that's the point. We only know Keane's intentions for sure because he stated it in his autobiography and there wasn't such an uproar about the incident until he wrote about it.

Wrights tackle, intentional or not, was a disgrace

as said, we dont know if it was or not, there seemed to be plenty of malice in it from what i remember.

We don't know what Wright's intentions were, that's the point. We only know Keane's intentions for sure because he stated it in his autobiography and there wasn't such an uproar about the incident until he wrote about it.

Looking at both incidents though, I know which one looked the worse.

Imo, I don't think Wright set out to hurt Schmeichel, it was a ball he could have got, that is the type of striker he was, if he saw half a chance he would go for it, cause he wanted to score goals.

Looking at both incidents though, I know which one looked the worse.

Imo, I don't think Wright set out to hurt Schmeichel, it was a ball he could have got, that is the type of striker he was, if he saw half a chance he would go for it, cause he wanted to score goals.

He showed little remorse when Schmeichel was lying prone. I accept it's all speculation, but as I'm saying to you we don't know. Keane is far from the first to pre-meditate a tackle, he's just the first to admit it.

Wrights tackle, intentional or not, was a disgrace

as said, we dont know if it was or not, there seemed to be plenty of malice in it from what i remember.

In fairness this thread is not about Ian Wright, and as an Arsenal fan I'm obviously going to stick up for him and as a utd fan as can be seen by your choice of words in descibing both tackles you are going to stick up for Keane. The way I saw the Wright tackle there was no malice, rather it was foolish of Wright to go for the ball.

He showed little remorse when Schmeichel was lying prone. I accept it's all speculation, but as I'm saying to you we don't know. Keane is far from the first to pre-meditate a tackle, he's just the first to admit it.

And I certainly would agree but because he admitted it in a book, shouldn't put him up there as some sort of honest hero, for the life of me I don't see the relevance that just because he admiited it he has to be respcted for it :confused:

• Advertisement

In fairness this thread is not about Ian Wright, and as an Arsenal fan I'm obviously going to stick up for him and as a utd fan as can be seen by your choice of words in descibing both tackles you are going to stick up for Keane. The way I saw the Wright tackle there was no malice, rather it was foolish of Wright to go for the ball.

Not at all, Keane's actions were deplorable. And not only that, it was self-centred getting himself sent off and comprimising the team for a personal vendetta.

are we not talking about the tackle where Wright jumped into the air with a two footed lunge??

Keane on Haaland was a disgrace, where have i said it wasnt?

I have not stuck up for Keane in that incident, i have pointed out that he is not the first nor the last to display that type of behaviour

its not a thread for Ian Wright i know

but it became relevant to the topic when others started mentioning other players also

I stand by what i said about Wrights tackle, if its as i remember it, and Keane on Haaland was a disgrace too

no difference in my choice of words tbh

Not at all, Keane's actions were deplorable. And not only that, it was self-centred getting himself sent off and comprimising the team for a personal vendetta.

ah to be fair he did wait till the last 5 minutes to do it ;)

he was thinking of the team! :)

Fair enough lads, point taken :), have not read all the posts as yet.

Fair enough lads, point taken :), have not read all the posts as yet.

some quality ones there

recyclingbin in particular has been outstanding!
    :D

• Advertisement

ah to be fair he did wait till the last 5 minutes to do it ;)

he was thinking of the team! :)

Nah, as much as I love Keane, getting sent off and then the 3-game suspension just to get Haaland back was not something I'd condone. Wait for him in the car park and puck the head off him if you must but on the pitch, winning should be all that matters. (As I recall we drew that game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I loved Roy Keane as a player - he was a legend for both his team & country in his heyday - I think frustration got to him at the end though, when he realised that he was past his best & that came out in his MUTV rant, which was basically his swan song for the club & his Saipan bust up which was his swan song for his country.

Genius can often border on madness - and his tackle on Haaland was borderline psychotic.. there was no need for me to read his book to know that.. he'd no intention of doing anything but serious damage to Haaland, in revenge for an inocuous challenge, albeit followed up by accusations of being a cheat by Haaland, who in fairness, in the heat of the game, would have been completely unaware of the extent of the injury that put Keane out of the gane for an extended period.

If he were French, he'd have had a much more eloquent, yet non-sensical explanation for it, but he still is & always will be, one of the great footballing legends.

would have been completely unaware of the extent of the injury that put Keane out of the gane for an extended period.

I remember the incident well. He did just seem to fall akwardly and Nigel Martyn pulled Haaland away as if to say 'Hey, that guy doesn't go down unless there's something seriously wrong'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

some quality ones there

recyclingbin in particular has been outstanding!
    :D

Night feeds again :) , hope you are getting big brownie points ,

As for Roy , Man is a legend .

Just to clarify something, it has popped up again in starbelgrades video title

KEANE DID NOT END HAALANDS CAREER!

sorry for shouting, i know its late

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Night feeds again :) , hope you are getting big brownie points ,

As for Roy , Man is a legend .

I have just learned to live without sleep my friend!

now if i could only find a job that would have to be invaluable to the company :)

btw mate, i have always wanted to say, i ****in love your sig, and Pighead!

I remember the incident well. He did just seem to fall akwardly and Nigel Martyn pulled Haaland away as if to say 'Hey, that guy doesn't go down unless there's something seriously wrong'

Haaland didn't even see him go down - he was still chasing the ball.

As for bad tackles, you'll be hard pushed to find a better one than this...

If Scholes could time a tackle on time, he'd be able to pull that off!

Just to clarify something, it has popped up again in starbelgrades video title

KEANE DID NOT END HAALANDS CAREER!

sorry for shouting, i know its late

I didn't even see the title, but I know that Haaland played on after that. Not for a while though, it has to be said! (Keane even wanted to use him as a witness in his 2nd disciplinary action with the FA over the incidence as far as I remember)

Yeah, but that's not what motivated Keane's tackle, it was the fact that Haaland stood over him while he was on ground and accused him of faking. It looks to me like Martyn was saying 'No, not this guy'
    I didn't even see the title, but I know that Haaland played on after that. Not for a while though, it has to be said!

Yeah, but it was the other knee that finished him.

exactly, Haaland was out of order tbh

no need to do that when another professional is on the ground in pain, for instance, would you like it if Shawcross had stood over Ramsey screaming at him to get up and stop faking injury? obviously couldnt happen, but im tired

• Advertisement

I didn't even see the title, but I know that Haaland played on after that. Not for a while though, it has to be said! (Keane even wanted to use him as a witness in his 2nd disciplinary action with the FA over the incidence as far as I remember)

He retired due to his other knee though

nothing to do with the Keane tackle

And Haaland did see him go down, he was coming from behind afaik, could be wrong here actually, the memory is starting to go due to lack of sleep

And Haaland did see him go down, he was coming from behind afaik, could be wrong here actually, the memory is starting to go due to lack of sleep

Haaland ran across Keane as I recall it. Not important anyway, as it's the aftermath that's significant.

As for bad tackles, you'll be hard pushed to find a better one than this...

If Scholes could time a tackle on time, he'd be able to pull that off!

Got the ball imo :)

Haaland ran across Keane as I recall it. Not important anyway, as it's the aftermath that's significant.

as i said, im open to correction on it, it wasnt Haaland that Keane was trying to tackle though so i thought he was coming from behind the play

no scratch that, it was him wasnt it! i need sleep

as i said, im open to correction on it, it wasnt Haaland that Keane was trying to tackle though so i thought he was coming from behind the play

Could have been, it was so long ago. Keane was running into the box and Haaland came across (ooh er!) to cover.

He ran across him. Both of them went down. Keane didn't get up. Haaland shouted at him to get up. Stupid thing to do, but hardly deserved the retribution he got a few years later.

He ran across him. Both of them went down. Keane didn't get up. Haaland shouted at him to get up. Stupid thing to do, but hardly deserved the retribution he got a few years later.

You'd be pretty pissed off though if you were in excrutiating pain on the ground and someone was screaming at you to get up. Would take a while to forget. It was wrong what Keane did but you don't have to stretch your imagination too far to understand it.

What happened was, Keane was chasing Haaland into the Leeds penalty box, he went to trip him up, barely connected with his right foot, then tried with his left, Keane went down then and Haaland sotood over him screaming

Now onto the other tackle, i honestly dont believe Keane meant to damage him as much as he did, i think he wanted retribution alright, and im sure he meant to hurt him, but just not as much as he did

not to say i think he cared that he did, i dont

What happened was, Keane was chasing Haaland into the Leeds penalty box, he went to trip him up, barely connected with his right foot, then tried with his left, Keane went down then and Haaland sotood over him screaming

Now onto the other tackle, i honestly dont believe Keane meant to damage him as much as he did, i think he wanted retribution alright, and im sure he meant to hurt him, but just not as much as he did

not to say i think he cared that he did, i dont

In a football game, you put your all in - that could mean diving into a tackle, running your heart out, diving in front of a flaying boot to score the winner against Liverpool (!), losing the rag at another player or the ref, or even kicking the penalty spot like a brat. All these things are admirable, because they are things that players do in the spirit of the game, or in the heat of the moment because they want to win or just hate losing.

What Keane did to Haaland was out of pure vindictiveness & has nothing in it to admire.

• Advertisement

What Keane did to Haaland was out of pure vindictiveness & has nothing in it to admire.

No one here has said anything to the contrary.

Advertisement