Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are your thoughts on Roy Keane

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i admired the connection he made, how clean was that??

:) no hang on, i better use this one ;) looks better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

m@cc@ wrote: »
    No one here has said anything to the contrary.

Am I just arguing with myself again? Hate that. I'm off to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

me too

best of luck with the hard on starbelgrade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ppl defending keane over the haaland thing?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Jazzy wrote: »
    ppl defending keane over the haaland thing?

lol

No. And while we're at it, no text talk, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So you guys really went there huh? Thought it'd die out after a couple of pages but we're up to 11 of what I'm sure is the same ****e that's been spouted for a decade on both sides. And what stage do people just let it lie?
    No. And while we're at, no text talk, thanks.

That would be at 'it'. Matccat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

No. And while we're at, no text talk, thanks.

sure thing mcc

Jazzy wrote: »
    sure thing [EMAIL="m@cc@"]mcc[/EMAIL]

That's Internet speak, a completely different thing.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

kryogen wrote: »
    Just to clarify something, it has popped up again in starbelgrades video title

KEANE DID NOT END HAALANDS CAREER!

sorry for shouting, i know its late

Really? You do realise that because one leg was injured that it puts more stress on the other one until it's fully recovered? I'm not saying that's definitely the case but, it's a bit naive to completely rule it out!

As for the Wright tackle, I'd like to see it again. I don't remember it too clearly and I'm betting, neither do a lot of other people. Schmeichel walked away from that one though, right?

As for Keane not meaning to hurt Haaland as much as he did??? I'd be very surprised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hey, I was wearing a suit while watching the CL final too.
    Can I have a cl medal?

No I can't. And neither can he.
    No, no he doesn't.

These posts make me lol.

He has a CL medal. He played in every game except the final, infact he basically single handedly beat Juve.

Just because he didn't play in the final doesn't mean he didn't win a European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

you asked me question I answered.

If I knew you were going be that childish I would not have bothered.

I'm childish!!!
    Childish is the attitude that says "Well, I wasn't the only one who did it":mad:
    I should know, I have 4 kids who try that line with me all the time and do you know how I respond.......

I ask them if all their friends jumped off a bridge would they do that too:rolleyes:
    That's how I react to childish statements from my kids at least,
    With you, I'm not quite sure how to proceed so I will respectfully bow out now as I'm not one for personal insults or mud slinging or any of that crack!!! And to be honest, I can't see me doing much else if I stay involved so
    BYE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm childish!!!
    Childish is the attitude that says "Well, I wasn't the only one who did it":mad:
    I should know, I have 4 kids who try that line with me all the time and do you know how I respond.......

I ask them if all their friends jumped off a bridge would they do that too:rolleyes:
    That's how I react to childish statements from my kids at least,
    With you, I'm not quite sure how to proceed so I will respectfully bow out now as I'm not one for personal insults or mud slinging or any of that crack!!! And to be honest, I can't see me doing much else if I stay involved so
    BYE

For the love of God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Frisbee wrote: »
    These posts make me lol.

He has a CL medal. He played in every game except the final, infact he basically single handedly beat Juve.

Just because he didn't play in the final doesn't mean he didn't win a European Cup.
    He doesn't have one.
    He received one but gave it to Brian Kidd who had recently left the club as he felt he, correctly, didn't deserve it. The first and last honourable thing he has ever done.

edit: and yes, if you don't play in the final, you didn't win it.

He doesn't have one.
    He received one but gave it to Brian Kidd who had recently left the club as he felt he, correctly, didn't deserve it. The first and last honourable thing he has ever done.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

jasonorr wrote: »
    As for Keane not meaning to hurt Haaland as much as he did??? I'd be very surprised!

I'm amazed people are still talking about this. Keane admitted he went out to hurt Haaland.

He doesn't have one.

So his excellent performances in helping them get to the final count for nothing then? Would they have beaten Juve in Turin that night without him? I doubt it.

He doesn't have one.

So let me get this straight, your saying that Brian Kidd who left the club after the group stages deserves a medal over a guy who played all the games till the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

My thoughts on Roy Keane.
    Pluses:
    Great underrated player.
    Irish.
    Committed tackler.
    Man of principle.

Minuses:

Poor overated manager.
    From Cork.
    Nasty streak.
    Argumentative.

Can I go now please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I'm amazed people are still talking about this. Keane admitted he went out to hurt Haaland.

Just responding to a previous comment, nothing amazing about it!

patmac wrote: »
    My thoughts on Roy Keane.
    Pluses:
    Great underrated player.
    Irish.
    Committed tackler.
    Man of principle.

Minuses:

Poor overated manager.
    From Cork.
    Nasty streak.
    Argumentative.

Can I go now please?

Hey whats wrong with Cork?:mad: ;):D

Otherwise I think that sums up Keane perfectly. Could not agree more.

• Advertisement

So let me get this straight, your saying that Brian Kidd who left the club after the group stages deserves a medal over a guy who played all the games till the final?
    Am I?
    Where am I saying that?
    So his excellent performances in helping them get to the final count for nothing then? Would they have beaten Juve in Turin that night without him? I doubt it.
    I remember one good performance against Juve. His efforts didn't count for nothing. They won the match.
    Would Juve have won that night if Red Rum was playing for them? I dunno, let's fantasize.

Am I?
    Where am I saying that?

I remember one good performance against Juve. His efforts didn't count for nothing. They won the match.
    Would Juve have won that night if Red Rum was playing for them? I dunno, let's fantasize.

You said he correctly gave his medal away to Brian kidd what else did you mean?

You said he correctly gave his medal away to Brian kidd what else did you mean?
    I said he correctly felt he didn't deserve it. He didn't win the european cup, he didn't deserve a medal.

He doesn't have one.

Wow

So if Messi/Villa/Rooney scores 12 goals en route to the World Cup final but then gets injured on the eve of the final and can't play, but their team still win, then they don't deserve to have won it?

Wow

So if Messi/Villa/Rooney scores 12 goals en route to the World Cup final but then gets injured on the eve of the final and can't play, but their team still win, then they don't deserve to have won it?
    deserve has nothing to do with it.
    they didn't win it.

Look, this isn't the scottish premier league where you can play 2 mins of 14 games and get your medal, this is real football.

I said he correctly felt he didn't deserve it. He didn't win the european cup, he didn't deserve a medal.

Well he still won a medal. Just cause he gave it away he still won it first, not Brian Kidd.

Well he still won a medal. Just cause he gave it away he still won it first, not Brian Kidd.
    You're getting confused, I never said he didn't win a medal. I said he hasn't got one. I originally said he didn't win the european cup.
    Both of my statements of fact are correct.

deserve has nothing to do with it.
    they didn't win it.

Look, this isn't the scottish premier league where you can play 2 mins of 14 games and get your medal, this is real football.

:confused: I really have no idea where your going with this.

You're getting confused, I never said he didn't win a medal. I said he hasn't got one. I originally said he didn't win the european cup.

Well who did win European cup then? Ole Gunnar Solskjaer got winning goal is he the only fella that deserved a medal then or what?

• Advertisement

By your logic then if someone were to miss a group game or the first leg of a quarter final tie then they didn't win a European Cup as they weren't involved in every stage of the process?

Hey, I was wearing a suit while watching the CL final too.
    Can I have a cl medal?

No I can't. And neither can he.

hmmm going back on earlier post you said the following above. Your last senetence seems to not follow up on your last few comments does it?

By your logic then if someone were to miss a group game or the first leg of a quarter final tie then they didn't win a European Cup as they weren't involved in every stage of the process?
    No, by my logic, if you didn't play in the final, then you didn't win the final which is the stage at which trophies and the word winners is diished out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

No, by my logic, if you didn't play in the final, then you didn't win the final which is the stage at which trophies and the word winners is diished out.

Well you can't reach the final without playing in the previous rounds. So they are as important.

Your entitled to your opinion, but personally I think that is load of bull crap

• Advertisement

Well you can't reach the final without playing in the previous rounds. So they are as important.
    1)True.
    and 2) no, they're not.

A final is more important by its very definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Your argument should be sent to the Recylingbin/recyclingbin tbh.

patmac wrote: »
    Your argument should be sent to the Recylingbin/recyclingbin tbh.
    Bwahahahahahahahaha
    Did you come up with that yourself.

For all the good and bad things that Keane has done in his career, the thing that stands head and shoulders above the rest is that he walked out on his country to sell a book.
    That says it all about his principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

For all the good and bad things that Keane has done in his career, the thing that stands head and shoulders above the rest is that he walked out on his country to sell a book.

Plenty of people hate him for walking out. Never heard anyone give that as a reason though :confused:

To sell his book, yes that makes perfect sense, good man :D

I don't think I can take anything you say seriously after that :)

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Plenty of people hate him for walking out. Never heard anyone give that as a reason though :confused:

To sell his book, yes that makes perfect sense, good man :D

I don't think I can take anything you say seriously after that :)
    I don't care what you take seriously tbh.

• Advertisement

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Bwahahahahahahahaha

the thing that stands head and shoulders above the rest is that he walked out on his country to sell a book.

Could he not have sold it on ebay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

1)True.
    and 2) no, they're not.

A final is more important by its very definition.

I don't believe the definition of final is more important.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Soccer thread or English Grammar thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Classic Keano Rants

To Mick McCarthy

"Mick, you're a liar … you're a f*cking w*nker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a f*cking w*nker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your b*llocks."

About Rio Ferdinand, Recorded for MUTV (but never aired)

"Just because you are paid £120,000-a-week and play well for 20 minutes against Tottenham, you think you are a superstar. The younger players have been let down by some of the more experienced players. They are just not leading. There is a shortage of characters in this team. It seems to be in this club that you have to play badly to be rewarded. Maybe that is what I should do when I come back. Play badly."

About Alfie Haaland, from his biography

"I'd waited long enough. I f*cking hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you c*nt. And don't ever stand over me again sneering about fake injuries. And tell your pal [David] Wetherall there's some for him as well. I didn't wait for Mr Elleray to show the red card. I turned and walked to the dressing room."

On the Prawn Sandwich Brigade

"Sometimes you wonder, do they understand the game of football? We're 1-0 up, then there are one or two stray passes and they're getting on players' backs. It's just not on. At the end of the day they need to get behind the team. Away from home our fans are fantastic, I'd call them the hardcore fans. But at home they have a few drinks and probably the prawn sandwiches, and they don't realise what's going on out on the pitch. I don't think some of the people who come to Old Trafford can spell 'football', never mind understand it."

On Modern Day Players & their WAGS

“I think it’s weak. You see it with a couple of big players now. Clearly their wives and girlfriends are running their lives and that’s a bad sign.”

“Why is there such a big attraction with London? It would be different if it was Chelsea, Arsenal or maybe Tottenham, but when they go to a smaller club just because it’s in London, then it’s clearly because of the shops.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Classic Keano Rants

To Mick McCarthy

"Mick, you're a liar … you're a f*cking w*nker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a f*cking w*nker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your b*llocks."

About Rio Ferdinand, Recorded for MUTV (but never aired)

"Just because you are paid £120,000-a-week and play well for 20 minutes against Tottenham, you think you are a superstar. The younger players have been let down by some of the more experienced players. They are just not leading. There is a shortage of characters in this team. It seems to be in this club that you have to play badly to be rewarded. Maybe that is what I should do when I come back. Play badly."

About Alfie Haaland, from his biography

"I'd waited long enough. I f*cking hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you c*nt. And don't ever stand over me again sneering about fake injuries. And tell your pal [David] Wetherall there's some for him as well. I didn't wait for Mr Elleray to show the red card. I turned and walked to the dressing room."

On the Prawn Sandwich Brigade

"Sometimes you wonder, do they understand the game of football? We're 1-0 up, then there are one or two stray passes and they're getting on players' backs. It's just not on. At the end of the day they need to get behind the team. Away from home our fans are fantastic, I'd call them the hardcore fans. But at home they have a few drinks and probably the prawn sandwiches, and they don't realise what's going on out on the pitch. I don't think some of the people who come to Old Trafford can spell 'football', never mind understand it."

On Modern Day Players & their WAGS

“I think it’s weak. You see it with a couple of big players now. Clearly their wives and girlfriends are running their lives and that’s a bad sign.”

“Why is there such a big attraction with London? It would be different if it was Chelsea, Arsenal or maybe Tottenham, but when they go to a smaller club just because it’s in London, then it’s clearly because of the shops.”

Did he move to sunderland when he was managing them, 2 faced judas comes to mind

niallo27 wrote: »
    Did he move to sunderland when he was managing them, 2 faced judas comes to mind

:rolleyes:

Ah, why do Keane threads always go this way.

I think its best we close this thread.

8 years on and people still have kitten when his name is mentioned.

Move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Now thats commitment giving up a World Cup to go door to door ..................

Advertisement