Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holy Jaysus - what road bike in the €2500 to €3000 bracket??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 with Chorus 11

6.85 kg claimed. I know it doesn't meet your Irish requirement.

Probably quite stiff ride, but you want something racy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

Lumen wrote: »
    Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 with Chorus 11

6.85 kg claimed. I know it doesn't meet your Irish requirement.

Probably quite stiff ride, but you want something racy.

Thanks Lumen

My pal has a Canyon & its an amazing machine. Up until my work introduced the cycle to work scheme a few weeks ago, the Canyon was my number one choice.

However - The cycle to work scheme would knock €500 odd off - which is one of the reasons why I thought I'd buy in Ireland this time (apart from the obvious reasons of supporting the local economy).

Although - it is hard to beat the weight you've mentioned above .... 6.85kgs is sick!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

However - The cycle to work scheme would knock €500 odd off - which is one of the reasons why I thought I'd buy in Ireland this time (apart from the obvious reasons of supporting the local economy).
    IIRC, the Cycle To Work scheme doesn't require the bike to be purchased in Ireland. DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Get three planetx's - they're greeeeaaaaatttttt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

tunney wrote: »
    Get three planetx's - they're greeeeaaaaatttttt.

Sheesh, you could one R3 for the price of that. Why buy three bikes to do the job of one bike? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DFD.

What does this mean?

el tonto wrote: »
    What does this mean?

Go stand in the corner, please. Epic face palm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

What does this mean?

DFD = DualFrontDiscs

seems kind of redundant on a web form though?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DFD = DualFrontDiscs

seems kind of redundant on a web form though?

Thanks. ET.

Thanks. ET.
    Nice to see people ending their posts properly ;). DFD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Have a Ridley Excalibur, for the last two year's

Can't fault in any way, Light and Stiff but doesn't tare the ring out of you on a long spin,
    It would just laugh's at hill's, (unlike me i just cry)

World wide cycles have a deal on a frame at the moment might be worth a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I see cyclesuperstore have started stocking Ridley too, though despite the website update they are still waiting on most of their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

What does this mean?

@DFD: You seem to get this a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Ceepo wrote: »
    Have a Ridley Excalibur, for the last two year's

Can't fault in any way, Light and Stiff but doesn't tare the ring out of you on a long spin,
    It would just laugh's at hill's, (unlike me i just cry)

World wide cycles have a deal on a frame at the moment might be worth a call.

+1 on that i have a Excaliber also ,lovely bike .there is a few of them around hear. thebikeshop in wexford sells them . they have a web site.

there is a few lads that are racing them in ras using them.

@DFD: You seem to get this a lot :)
    I was thinking much the same myself :o 'Signing off' still seems like the right thing to do though, regardless of the medium.

Ho hum,

DualFrontDiscs

PS. Apologies to posters for distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I have a Scott Addict R2, 2008 model. bought from Slane Cycles in Belfast. If weight is your priority then one of these will be hard to beat and it falls right at the lower end of your cost bracket. The spec is fantastic.

6.7kg of Swiss lovliness.

http://www.slanecycles.com/scott-addict-r2-compact-bike-2008-p-2812.html

Raam wrote: »
    Sheesh, you could one R3 for the price of that. Why buy three bikes to do the job of one bike? :pac:

Raam - do you mean a Cervelo R3
    http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2010/R3/

Do you know where can you get a machine like that in Ireland? What kinda moulah are you talking about?

El Tel - thanks for the heads up on the Scott Addict - looks savage altogether!! Again - do you know if there is an Irish Dealer for Scotts?

Thanks for all other posts re: Ridley / Canyon etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

http://www.theedge-sports.com/index.html are the Irish suppliers of Scott cycles but from my research they dont have too many in stock.Is it possible to buy a scott in Slane cycles and still claim your cycle to work rebate?

Raam - do you mean a Cervelo R3
    http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2010/R3/

Do you know where can you get a machine like that in Ireland? What kinda moulah are you talking about?

El Tel - thanks for the heads up on the Scott Addict - looks savage altogether!! Again - do you know if there is an Irish Dealer for Scotts?

Thanks for all other posts re: Ridley / Canyon etc....

Right, a PX is going for £1000, so lets see what we can get for £3000 which equates to 3300e.

I think it's 1700 for the 2008 frame-set in Cyclelogical. That includes seatpost and fork. Then you need your groupset, lets say 500 to 850 for Ultegra, depending on how recent it is. Taking the max, thats got us at 2550. Then wheels, you can go cheap here for now while you save for a bling pair. Lets get some racing 7 for 160. We're up to 2710. Finally saddle (90), pedals (80) and finishing kit (bar and stem), roughly 85. Bar tape for a tenner. There could be some labour and charges for random bits which any good bike shop would absorb. Total: 2975. Under budget, unless I've missed something big.

jerryg wrote: »
    http://www.theedge-sports.com/index.html are the Irish suppliers of Scott cycles but from my research they dont have too many in stock.Is it possible to buy a scott in Slane cycles and still claim your cycle to work rebate?

Yes, in principal. It depends whether your employer is prepared to deal with a UK supplier.

I have a Scott Addict too. I'm not entirely convinced by the press-fit BB on the version I have (2008 SL), but otherwise it's difficult to fault. It wasn't cheap (£1100 I think) but was less than half the price of the other top-end framesets I looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yes, in principal. It depends whether your employer is prepared to deal with a UK supplier.

I have a Scott Addict too. I'm not entirely convinced by the press-fit BB on the version I have (2008 SL), but otherwise it's difficult to fault. It wasn't cheap (£1100 I think) but was less than half the price of the other top-end framesets I looked at.

Have you had issues with your BB set up? IIRC you had headset woes earlier?

gman2k wrote: »
    Have you had issues with your BB set up? IIRC you had headset woes earlier?

Turned out to be my freehub bearings :rolleyes:. My drivetrain is still a bit noisy though. I just think that SRAM press-fit BBs are a bit of a crap idea, since they're not servicable if you get any creaking/squeaking you have to fit a new BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Orbea Orca

I would say go for this one! Definitely a head turner and not many around too which is nice but I would have say this as I already own one (2nd hand)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

TBH Lumen, most of the 'newer' type BBs are a bit hit & miss with the various Gruppos. I know the guys in Epic advised me to stay clear of anything other than the standard BB english/italian when using Campag as they have seen tons of 'noise' issues with anything else like BB 30 etc.

The LBS near me who sell Trek, are having their fair share of BB problems on the new Madones.

If I was to get a BB 30 frame it would have to be a Cannondale chainset for certain.

No doubt as the strongest standards win out, it will all settle down again but until then be prepared for a little grief when veering from the norm.

I'm limited by my employer to the Raleigh2Work & Bike to Work schemes - as they are too lazy to administer the scheme themselves. One positive is that both these schemes now include most Irish bike stores (but rules me out of internet / UK retailers). Will check out if that Edge store in Cork (who distribute Scotts) are on either list.

The Cervelo build looks like it could be a fairly cool thing to do Raam - thanks for that.

BallyH - that Orca looks class!! Do you own the TLT version? Have to say - I was out in Staggs in Lucan last week & found them very helpful indeed. They are Orbea distributors & if the Orca fits the bill then I'd like to give them the business. One thing though - should I be expecting better wheels if I'm shelling out close to €3k on a bike - Its got Shimano RS20's?
    Did you upgrade the wheels?
    http://www.orbea.com/en/bicis/modelos/opal_tlt/ficha_tecnica/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

What I own belongs to the Orca family, you are looking at the Opal family! However they are both good bikes but I much prefer the look of the Orca's. Mine was 2nd hand and didn't come with wheels but I also picked up the very old model (new decals hides this well!) Corima wheels second hand (deep section carbon tubulars which are light). It still fell in below your lowest budget price, but yes I certainly believe you should get better wheels than cheapo Shimano RS20's for such a nice bike. Even if you have to knock back the spec of the bike a little bit to save some money for them, I reckon a good set of wheels would be well worth investing in! They can change a bike hugely! Best of luck :D

Saw a Felt AR4 with Ultegra 6700 out in Joe Dalys during the week, lovely looking bike:

felt-ar4-2010-zoom.jpg

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Saw a Felt AR4 with Ultegra 6700 out in Joe Dalys during the week, lovely looking bike:

felt-ar4-2010-zoom.jpg

there a cracking looking bike.

Like ROK ON said a while ago, they look even better in the flesh. It's hanging up in the window, worth a look at.

• Advertisement

Like ROK ON said a while ago, they look even better in the flesh. It's hanging up in the window, worth a look at.

there is one in the bike shop in wexford 2,700 bucks on it.

does any one have one .

You must have deep section rims on an aero frame. It's the law.

For me, this is a problem with the AR4 as an "only bike" prospect.

2009_Felt_AR_Team.jpg

Of course deep section wheels also look great on a more conventional looking frame.

2nhj711.jpg

I picked one up in the LBS in Killarney, bloody heavy !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The current edition of Cycling Plus has a supplement which briefly (per bike) goes through their top 50 bikes of the year (bit early to be called "bikes of the year" mind you). As with any reviews they are very subjective but probably worth a read before making a final decision. The main benefit of such reviews is where they identify issues with a bike, or particular strengths - even these can be subjective, of course, but at least they give you something tangible to check for when assessing a bike in the flesh.

For what it is worth, I think they had some issues with the Felt AR4 and all of the testers preferred another model of Felt which cost the same (the F3, I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

I looked at that ar4 and basically came to the conclusion that you are paying €500 extra from the latest areo design frame and I dont think that will make u go much faster, not €500's worth! It's the same design frame as their TT bikes. Really nice bike though!

Murph100 wrote: »
    I picked one up in the LBS in Killarney, bloody heavy !!!

56cm weighs 7.69Kg.

• Advertisement

56cm weighs 7.69Kg.

Claimed or actual? With which wheels?

I think the frameset is about 1800g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

You must have deep section rims on an aero frame. It's the law.

For me, this is a problem with the AR4 as an "only bike" prospect.

Good thing you've already got a road bike then? you wouldn't want to be taking a bike that nice looking out for training anyway...

Claimed or actual? With which wheels?

I think the frameset is about 1800g.

From Wiggle.

Also, 54cm (7.7Kg) here.

Claimed weights for comparison:
    F1SL: 13.98 pounds/6.35kg
    Shimano Dura-Ace Carbon 24mm Clincher 1380gm, 16H front/20H rear
    Dura-Ace components

F2SL: 16.66 pounds/7.57kg
    Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, 20H front/24H rear
    Dura-Ace components

F3SL: 16.88 pounds/7.67kg
    Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, 20H front/24H rear
    Red components, but heavier frame ("HM" instead of "UHM")

F4SL: 17.87 pounds/8.12kg
    Shimano RS20, 16H front/20H rear
    Ultegra SL ("HM" frame)

ARTI: 14.94 pounds/6.79kg
    Zipp 303 42mm Deep Carbon Fiber Dimpled Tubular Rim Garmin Team Decals 20H Front/28H Rear
    Dura-Ace

AR1: 15.21lbs/6.91kg (Ti bolts!)
    Shimano Dura Ace 50mm Deep 16H front 20H rear carbon fiber WH-7850-C50-CL
    E-Dura-Ace

AR2: 15.98 pounds/7.26kg
    Felt AeroRoad2 28mm Deep Superlight Clincher Rim 20H Front/24H Rear
    Dura-Ace

AR3: there is no AR3

AR4: 16.93 pounds/7.69kg
    heavier frame (HM instead of UHM)
    Felt AeroRoad3 28mm Deep Clincher Rim 20H Front/24H Rear
    Ultegra SL

Point being, it's not superlight but it's hardly heavy.

Ah! Its was the AR4 I lifted, have to say though I was pretty taken aback by the weight, defintiely the heaviest 7.69kg I've ever seen :D

From Wiggle.

Also, 54cm (7.7Kg) here.

Claimed weights for comparison:

Point being, it's not superlight but it's hardly heavy.

Murph100 wrote: »
    Ah! Its was the AR4 I lifted, have to say though I was pretty taken aback by the weight, defintiely the heaviest 7.69kg I've ever seen :D

You've just been spoilt by your new build ;)

I remember getting my Giant SCR 2.0 and thinking how superlight it was compared the Carrera Subway I had previously.

• Advertisement

EL TEL and Lumen and others,
    What Scott addict would you now go for from slanes catologue for a rider for rural roads with potholes etc and the odd club outing and race ,doing 3-5k km per year.my budget is 2-3 K ?
    Many Thanks
    Jerry

What Scott addict would you now go for from slanes catologue for a rider for rural roads with potholes etc and the odd club outing and race ,doing 3-5k km per year.my budget is 2-3 K ?

How tall are you? (or what frame size are you looking for?)

Hi Lumen,
    I am 5 10 and frame size 54 or 56 I was never measured properly for any bike my present one is a trek 54 I think
    Thanks Jerry

I am 5 10 and frame size 54 or 56 I was never measured properly for any bike my present one is a trek 54 I think

More likely 56 than 54, but it depends on how you like your bikes to feel.

I am a little over 5'11" and ride a 56, and wouldn't want anything smaller.

This 2007 model looks good for €2800. SRAM Force, Ksyrium ES wheels and quality finishing kit.

Or there's a newer R3 with Ultegra SL for €2200 ish.

I'm not a Scott expert, but from what I can tell the product hasn't changed hugely in the last couple of years - it was always top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In fairness that Felt frame weight is basically double what is competitive in its price range.

Whether it is worth it for the aero benefits is another question.

The issue is not really whether 7.7kg is reasonable for the bike as a whole, more would the bike be 6.9kg were it not for the aero frame.

Then the question becomes, how much is that aero frame worth... compared to position, wheels, yada yada. A question I would be interested in the answer to but one I doubt there is a clear view on.

For whatever reason aero doesn't seem to be a high priority with road frames compared to other components like wheels... why? If it mattered, would everyone not be on it? Or is the frame not so important? Or are other variables more so, in road racing?

blorg wrote: »
    In fairness that Felt frame weight is basically double what is competitive in its price range.

Whether it is worth it for the aero benefits is another question.

The issue is not really whether 7.7kg is reasonable for the bike as a whole, more would the bike be 6.9kg were it not for the aero frame.

Then the question becomes, how much is that aero frame worth... compared to position, wheels, yada yada. A question I would be interested in the answer to but one I doubt there is a clear view on.

For whatever reason aero doesn't seem to be a high priority with road frames compared to other components like wheels... why? If it mattered, would everyone not be on it? Or is the frame not so important? Or are other variables more so, in road racing?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/felt-introduces-ar-road-bike-for-tour-17022

I wouldn't buy it for any supposed aero benefit, which at our level wouldn't even matter. I just think it looks savage.

Frame and fork is 1195g + 385g, once again this is hardly a porker and I'm not sure what other bikes in it's price range come in at half of this? Exaggerations aside, even a much more expensive Cervelo R3 SL 2010 is 822g + 337g which is probably at the top end of superlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I was referring to a previous quoted frame weight of 1,800g. 1,195g is very reasonable for such a profiled frame, certainly not a big weight penalty at all if the aero gave benefits.

As to the question of whether it is worthwhile... Level hardly matters. At our level "nothing" supposedly matters but the engine but that certainly doesn't hold back our credit cards.

My question would be as to how much the aero profile of the frame is beneficial- and why does everyone not do it if it is- as they have been with TT bikes for some time now. Is this something Felt are innovating with (along with Cervelo?) Or are they mostly just going for an aesthetic?

blorg wrote: »
    I was referring to a previous quoted frame weight of 1,800g. 1,195g is very reasonable for such a profiled frame, certainly not a big weight penalty at all if the aero gave benefits.

As to the question of whether it is worthwhile... Level hardly matters. At our level "nothing" supposedly matters but the engine but that certainly doesn't hold back our credit cards.

My question would be as to how much the aero profile of the frame is beneficial- and why does everyone not do it if it is- as they have been with TT bikes for some time now. Is this something Felt are innovating with (along with Cervelo?) Or are they mostly just going for an aesthetic?
    Depending on actual speed and wind conditions, this equates to a saving of 58 to 75 seconds over the course of a one-hour ride.

I would imagine that this saving is entirely dependent on the rider, hence my reference to level. After all, Garmin ride them and don't seem to mind, but I'm sure they would notice the benefit more than I would. It still wouldn't stop me buying one. That 1.61% saving must be worth the extra dosh.

I think those aero dohickeys detract from the otherwise nice lines of the bike.

I quote 1800g as that's the only "actual" weight I found. And I can't find it again.

The AR4 is obviously too heavy to appeal to weight weenies, and no-one else can be bothered to weigh it.

Anyway, FWIW it's fans claim that the aero savings are worth 2.5kg, which is obviously dependent on lots of stuff.

I'd be more concerned about the negative reviews.

Does look nice though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement