Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holy Jaysus - what road bike in the €2500 to €3000 bracket??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Does look nice though.

This is all that I was interested in.

Weight and aerodynamics are secondary concerns, like intelligence and sense of humor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

if i has 3k to spend on a bike the felt AR 3 or 4 would have to be high on the short list.
    then again would it be any better than my Excalibur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

jerryg wrote: »
    EL TEL and Lumen and others,
    What Scott addict would you now go for from slanes catologue for a rider for rural roads with potholes etc and the odd club outing and race ,doing 3-5k km per year.my budget is 2-3 K ?
    Many Thanks
    Jerry

Jerryg, I'm just a gnats whisker under 5'10 and my Addict R2 is a size 54. I'd say that size should be spot on for you. The model I have comes with integrated seat mast which is a consideration for transportation. The 2008 R2 is 7800 DuraAce has reputatedly a better frame (HMX) than the 2010 R2 (which is Ultegra). I notice that since yesterday the prices have dropped on the 2008 - £2127 now.

But the price on the 2007 R1 has also dropped to £2553 and this is what I'd go for. It's Record, Fulcrum 1s, has a normal seat post, and flashier paint job. And weighs 6.3 kg/13.9 lbs.

You know it makes sense!

http://www.slanecycles.com/scott-addict-r1-onroad-bike-2007-p-1253.html

PS - I PMed you a couple of weeks ago, didn't you see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I know it is slightly over budget and OP has stated he wishes to buy in ireland, but i would have a look at the Felt F1 SL (available for 2999GBP from Pearson Cycles). Bike is full dura ace with dura ace 7850 tubeless wheels weighing in at 6.35kg.
    prod_3809.jpg
    http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/product/3809/FELT_F1_SL_2009
    i have bought from pearsons before so can recommend them,IIRC in fact half of boards posters got either their langsters or tricross from them.

Personally as an owner of 3 orbea orcas(all still roadworthy) i can recommend them as a great bike but at your pricepoint i think you should go for something a bit different. Also have a look at the bmc range to see if there is something to suit your budget - lovely looking bikes. i think worldwide cycles are still a distributor for them but i know they do sell custom viner frames - another option for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

Thanks for that

Yeah - I had looked at both the Felt F2 (€3k for the 2009 version in Eurocycles, with full Dura Ace.)

The Felt F3 2010 version is in Staggs at €2700 (plenty of Sram Red kit!)

Was out in Wheelworx too & they seem to be punting the Felt AR Frames big time - which are probably very popular with their tri / duathlon clientelle.

I think the Felt F style is more up my street than the AR style.

The F1 shown by cunavalos looks tops - but unless sterling Euro rate comes back a bit, it is just outside my price range (esp. as I couldnt use my Cycle to Work discount with a UK provider via my employer!).

Would love to buy something racey, that weighs in around 7kgs or under from an Irish bike shop (in my price bracket). Maybe its not possible? Maybe I just go online for a Canyon & forget about the Bike to work scheme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Thanks for that

The F1 shown by cunavalos looks tops - but unless sterling Euro rate comes back a bit, it is just outside my price range (esp. as I couldnt use my Cycle to Work discount with a UK provider via my employer!).

Would love to buy something racey, that weighs in around 7kgs or under from an Irish bike shop (in my price bracket). Maybe its not possible? Maybe I just go online for a Canyon & forget about the Bike to work scheme!

Ring pearsons and offer 2500-2600 it has been on sale for several months and still hasn't shifted. you never know your luck they may be looking to get rid of it to make room for new stock. I have been looking at it for a while now and couldn't justify another bike- at this stage i am pushing blorg for the 'how many bikes is too many' award

cunavalos wrote: »
    Ring pearsons and offer 2500-2600 it has been on sale for several months and still hasn't shifted. you never know your luck they may be looking to get rid of it to make room for new stock. I have been looking at it for a while now and couldn't justify another bike- at this stage i am pushing blorg for the 'how many bikes is too many' award

Good idea Cunavalos

Will do just that. If I can land that machine at that price - WOW!!

Cheers
    Don

Good idea Cunavalos

Will do just that. If I can land that machine at that price - WOW!!

Cheers
    Don

they also sell ridleys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Giant TCR Advanced 2010 with Ultegra 6700, €2400.

Not sure about the wheels, but that's €950 cheaper than the TCR Advanced 2 in CSS.

The S-Tech site also sells Ridleys and has some Storcks in this price range too, plus a rather tasty Lightweights and Di2 equipped Fenomalist for €6666. ;)

• Advertisement

Giant TCR Advanced 2010 with Ultegra 6700, €2400.

Not sure about the wheels, but that's €950 cheaper than the TCR Advanced 2 in CSS.

The S-Tech site also sells Ridleys and has some Storcks in this price range too, plus a rather tasty Lightweights and Di2 equipped Fenomalist for €6666. ;)

Thanks Lumen - The reviews I've seen on the Storcks have been fairly impressive. Have you dealt with the S-Tech website before? Its not clear (to me) if they deliver to Ireland?

The Storcks look excellent value in my price range. I must google to see if I can find the weights, as the S-Tech site gives all the geometry & technical info, but no weight.

At this rate - the best deals I've seen are via Internet providers. Pity my employer won't let me use a dealer outside of the Raleigh2Work or Bike2Work schemes.

Thanks Lumen - The reviews I've seen on the Storcks have been fairly impressive. Have you dealt with the S-Tech website before? Its not clear (to me) if they deliver to Ireland?

No idea. Mr Skeffington mentioned them to me the other week. I blame him if they rip you off. :pac:

The prices looked competitive and the products interesting.

Some weightweenies say that German-designed bikes are unsuited to Irish/UK road conditions (i.e. rough surfaces and potholes), and that the designs end up being overly stiff to ensure victory in the quite extraordinarily anal Tour magazine tests.

I don't know about that, but I still want a Canyon Ultimate CF. In Fuji White. With Lightweights. Mmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

I have one of these for sale in M:

757226363_2wAi3-M.jpg

D20903 wrote: »

757226363_2wAi3-M.jpg

:cool:

Is that good or bad?!

Is that good or bad?!

cool bike , did any one famous own it .

hate to get dropped riding it.

• Advertisement

GRABSCH-1.jpg_e_616867c5a0fc304ec1112888413edd09.jpg

GRABSCH-1.jpg_e_616867c5a0fc304ec1112888413edd09.jpg

bret grabsch ?

757226363_2wAi3-M.jpg

Hi D20903
    What do you mean by "for sale in M" ?

M = size medium.

M = size medium.

Cheers - my brain officially stops working after 10pm!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Have you dealt with the S-Tech website before? Its not clear (to me) if they deliver to Ireland?

I have and yes they do ship to Ireland! It isn't clear to see but if you email them they have no problems doing it (at least for shoes anyway)! Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

jwshooter wrote: »
    bret grabsch ?
    The very same, his name is on the seatpost. I saw the bike out with D20903, lovely bike and top-notch condition. Very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Cycleways have an '08 Tarmac SL with Dura Ace 7800 and Ksyriums reduced from €4,000 to €2,300.

blorg wrote: »
    The very same, his name is on the seatpost. I saw the bike out with D20903, lovely bike and top-notch condition. Very light.

god bless your eye sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

757226363_2wAi3-M.jpg

How much would that be worth?

<rattles piggybank>

No idea. Mr Skeffington mentioned them to me the other week. I blame him if they rip you off. :pac:

The prices looked competitive and the products interesting.

Some weightweenies say that German-designed bikes are unsuited to Irish/UK road conditions (i.e. rough surfaces and potholes), and that the designs end up being overly stiff to ensure victory in the quite extraordinarily anal Tour magazine tests.

Lumen - you may remember you pointing me in the direction of the S-TEC site a couple of weeks ago when I was on the hunt for my new bike.

Well thanks, coz - after several weeks of discussions with S-TEC & I've ordered a Storck Absolutist. The image of the one I've purchased has been removed from the site, as it was a limited edition Black (with white Decails), but looked a bit like this:

http://s-tec-essence.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store4_Shop38023.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop38023/Prhoducts/99671/SubProducts/99671-0001

Lighter frame than the standard Storck Absolutist frame with the following equipment:

-Storck Absolutist 1.0 s-tec edt(Black with whilte decails)

-Ritchey WCS stem
    -Ritchey WCS handlebar
    -essence Carbon seatpost
    -Selle Italia SLR saddle
    -SRAM Force 2010 rear derailleur
    - " cassette
    - " chain
    - " crankset
    - " front derailleur
    - " shifter set
    - " brakeset
    - Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelset in black/white
    - Group will be black with white decails

-Conti GP 4000 S tyres

Fairly delighted, but in shock having dropped a few €G's !! :eek:

Its being built at the moment, so will be delivered in a week or so.

Can't wait. Will post an image on the "Credit Card" or "Image of Beauty" threads when it arrives.

Cheers
    The Don

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

So you bought online in the end ? So how much ?

Advertisement