Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just completing my snag list

• 22-03-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm going through a snag list on a house at the moment and my engineer has pointed out that the builder never used moisture resistant plaster board on either of the showers.
    Does anyone know if they have to use it according to building regulations? I'm trying to scan through the regulations available online but as you can imagine there are quite a few of them.
    The last thing I want are all the tiles falling off the wall soon!

Thanks for any help or advise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not sure if this is any help to you, but normal plasterboard has been used in showers for years without problems.

As for the regs im not sure if it compulsory, but if it was a new/recent build I would have expected it to be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Davy wrote: »
    but if it was a new/recent build I would have expected it to be used.

Ha Ha Ha Ha it was lucky plasterboard was used!!!

the state of some new builds is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Martron wrote: »
    Ha Ha Ha Ha it was lucky plasterboard was used!!!

the state of some new builds is ridiculous

Why is it lucky?

If they are that bad, people shouldn't be buying them. Its foolish not to check a house out before buying it

it was meant as a light hearted joke hence the "ha ha ha" at the start. i will not try to be funny in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cheap solution. Paint your plasterboard with a solution of PVA before tiling. It helps your tiles bond better as well.

If you really want to make it moisture resistant then buy some wet room sealer.

The weakest part of a shower is not the plasterboard believe it or not. Its where the shower tray meets the plasterboard.

Is your house timberframe... Does the tray have a raised lip called an upstand.

No disrespect to the survayor I would be more interested in a moisture resistant outside than inside... Did the survayor climb to the attic and make sure the fans are connected.

Dont worry its not a big problem and you cannot shower in it till tiled, no matter how moisture resistant the plaster board is.

Make sure your tiler uses a polymer based powder adhesive when tiling and moisture will not be a problem.

ask us all for advice when tiling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

Thanks a million for the advise everyone,
    Ya, I agree the state of the new builds today is a joke. I could spend all day moaning about some of the ridiculous things wrong with the house. I'm determined not to let them get away with it.

Good idea to give it a coating of sealer first. I've a good tiler so I'll make sure does that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

cloinsigh wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the advise everyone,
    Ya, I agree the state of the new builds today is a joke. I could spend all day moaning about some of the ridiculous things wrong with the house. I'm determined not to let them get away with it.

Good idea to give it a coating of sealer first. I've a good tiler so I'll make sure does that.

Dont let the snag list guy put stuff like that in the snag list. green board is not a requirement.

It will just discredit your list when the builder sees it.

if tanked or sealed properly with plaster board will never be an issue.

Fiberglass is the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Dont let the snag list guy put stuff like that in the snag list. green board is not a requirement.

It will just discredit your list when the builder sees it.

With due respect that is rubbish.

put as much as you can see on your snag list. 2 reasons. 1. Its your money dont accept anything less 2. Traditionally the builder only done half the snag list. The shoe is on the other foot so to speak.

As for snag lists in general. Builders dont get back plumbers carpentors plasters etc to complete them. They have a labourpr or in most cases a dangerous gobsh1te who completes them so check the work well and dont accept it.

I will give you a couple of examples. In timber frame vents are to be fitted at the base. Common practice. However the gobsh1te that done ours on the snag put them in upside down meaning the let in water rather than let it out... Very clever with timber frame.

The kitchen supplier made the openings 595 for the appliences instead of 600mm I am guessing that this is because of the give on his cheap measuring tape. The snag man wet the side of our appliences with po,lish and SHOVED them home breaking 2 of the units then glueing them with wood glue.

The boiler flu was not correctly installed on another house so had to be taken out and re done. The labouror was not covered to do this and actually left it pointing up. I spotted this and told my neighbour who ignored it. 2 weeks later the rain flowed in a blew the circuit board.

ACCEPT NOTHING BUT THE BEST THESE DAYS. and if you apear like a padantic gobsh1ite just remember in 6 months when the builder has spent your money. He wont give a rats asre....and dont get me started on homebond/Premier guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

I have to agree with Joey here.
    I've only started the snag and I'm getting stressed over it already. Carpentry looks like it was done by an eight year old and a pretty dim one at that.

If all houses were scrutinized first and builders not allowed to get away with anything then houses through-out the country would be in a much better state than they are in now.

If there's anything on the snag that might discredit it than it doesn't matter. If it's wrong then I'll have it fixed before they see a penny. It's the biggest purchase I'm ever likely to make after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the point im making is that its not necessary. If the tiled wall falls over the lip of the shower then your slab will not get wet. If done well.
    I was a finishing foreman in the good times and was in charge of the hand over.
    I will agree the standard of work of some sub contractors was really bad.

Hundreds of snag lists. Some real headaches . Some lists where complete rubbish.

When someone came in and wrote requirements that did not exist, it just made them look foolish. And gave me(working on behalf of the builder) leverage to discredit his whole list.
    A ploy i will agree. But that is the game... The builder will try everything to spend less.. Especially if it means ripping out work to improve it.

If you want to include the use of green board in your list. Write it as a recommendation .

• Advertisement

End of the day..... you would not buy a brand new dented car. the same should apply here.

i am in a new house 3 years and the bits that i did not spot in the snag ( and the snags i have not fixed myself) still annoy me.

the builder is getting at least 250k of your hard earned money..... make them earn it.

i am an engineer and was invoilved in aprtment handovers...... a sh1tty snag list pissed people off but 99% was completed. and if the work was not complete properly say it.

but i would agres with gsxr. if the tiling is done proberly and there is a lip the plasterboard should not matter. you were never going to have a shower without tiling/tanking i anyway

Advertisement