Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann stopping at the Huntsman

Options
  • 22-03-2010 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

I know it's not an official stop but today the bus driver (Dublin to Galway route) refused to let me off there. I wouldn't mind as much but I've never had a problem getting off there before, I gave the driver plenty of notice and the bus was sitting stationary -right there in a red light!

He had a bad attitude as well, wearing a baseball cap and barely making eye contact. Really annoys me when people get uppity about stuff like that. What's the story with stopping there? Is it worth my while complaining to Bus Eireann? Was late for an appointment and had to get a taxi back the road I just came to get there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deepsteppa

i think its mainly an insurance issue, its not the drivers fault. every route has a license and i guess stops are part of the license deal.

i'm sure they are really sick of people asking them to let them off at unscheduled stops, can't blame them really.

I know it's not an official stop but today the bus driver (Dublin to Galway route) refused to let me off there. I wouldn't mind as much but I've never had a problem getting off there before, I gave the driver plenty of notice and the bus was sitting stationary -right there in a red light!

He had a bad attitude as well, wearing a baseball cap and barely making eye contact. Really annoys me when people get uppity about stuff like that. What's the story with stopping there? Is it worth my while complaining to Bus Eireann? Was late for an appointment and had to get a taxi back the road I just came to get there.
    You know it isn't an intercity stop but you want to complain to Bus Eireann anyways?

Also he is supposed to be watching the road - not making eye contact with people distracting him.

See the stops for route 20
    http://www.buseireann.ie/bubble.php?id=57

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Stopped. Stationary at a red light and going nowhere! All he had to do was press a button. I get what you're saying but it should be set in stone so I know where I'm going. Stop or not, not on the whim of a driver who's in a good mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Stopped. Stationary at a red light and going nowhere! All he had to do was press a button. I get what you're saying but it should be set in stone so I know where I'm going. Stop or not, not on the whim of a driver who's in a good mood.

You'll probably find he was reported before for stopping there. Drivers are not allowed to make unscheduled stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

sometimes prefacing your request with "I have no luggage" can get you a bit further.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    sometimes prefacing your request with "I have no luggage" can get you a bit further.

Haha! I said that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ah well so, in that case maybe he was running late or had just got a bollocking about licenses and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

i know,its a bit annoying alright. suppose it depends on the driver and that. some are bit sounder than others.i asked to get off at that stop before and the driver just asked had i any bags,i said no, and he was grand about it. just let me off.

few years ago though when i used to be getting the bus up from home, i asked to get off at the bus stop up beside tara grove,on the wellpark road, and the driver got all thick, and said 'im not a bleeding taxi ',jammed on the brakes and let me off,even though i gave him good bit notice aswell. i wouldnt mind only every time i got that bus up,he always let people off at the junction there beside the trappers inn where ya turn off left for wellpark. just pulled up on the side of the road! anyways i had a good laugh at it,although i was still bit thick with him. moody mary!! :-)

You'll probably find he was reported before for stopping there. Drivers are not allowed to make unscheduled stops.

Whats the story then with the buses that operate on route like say Galway to Ballinrobe. They will stop more or less where ever they are flagged down from what I can see and would do it regularly too. I know a few different lads who used to get it up to college and the bus would stop outside their house for each of them and drop them at the door again in the evening. Think it was Burkes though but you would imagine they would have the same guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As part of getting a licence to operate a bus-service (it's called something different for BE, but the same principle applies), the bus company has to specify the bus-stops and to get garda approval for these.

When buses stop at places other than these stops, they are breaking the law. When you ask them to do so, you are asking them to break the law. If there was an accident, then the bus-company's insurance may not cover it.

Officially there is no common sense applied: it's either a stop or or it isn't. Unofficially, I suspect that a stop at a marked bus stop, which doesn't affect keeping to time, is probably seen as ok, but dropping people at red-lights (which are often dangerous due to other traffic at the intersection) isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Whats the story then with the buses that operate on route like say Galway to Ballinrobe. They will stop more or less where ever they are flagged down from what I can see and would do it regularly too. I know a few different lads who used to get it up to college and the bus would stop outside their house for each of them and drop them at the door again in the evening. Think it was Burkes though but you would imagine they would have the same guidelines.

Expressway services have limited stops, other routes (mainly in rural areas) can stop where it is safe to stop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I know it's not an official stop but

There is your answer.
    He had a bad attitude as well, wearing a baseball cap and barely making eye contact. Really annoys me when people get uppity about stuff like that.

He is driving a bus
    What's the story with stopping there?
    You answered that in your first sentence.
    Is it worth my while complaining to Bus Eireann? Was late for an appointment and had to get a taxi back the road I just came to get there.

Im sure they would just laugh at you, i would. Leave earlier next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

padi89 wrote: »
    He is driving a bus

He did say the bus was parked at a red light and although you shouldn't takes your eyes off the road I'm sure he could have but chose not to. I have no real issue with the bus drivers here since my interaction would be get ticket and get off. But some haven't been the cheeriest bunch, not all of them but a lot.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    He did say the bus was parked at a red light and although you shouldn't takes your eyes off the road I'm sure he could have but chose not to.

No he said "stationary" or stopped, i somehow doubt he was "parked". It's a busy junction if he is watching the lights i don't see the issue. I don't expect a driver to turn around whilst driving to look at me when they are speaking, in fact id prefer if they didn't. OP was refused what more does he want, the driver to argue with him, an apology ...

No he said "stationary" or stopped, i somehow doubt he was "parked". It's a busy junction if he is watching the lights i don't see the issue. I don't expect a driver to turn around whilst driving to look at me when they are speaking, in fact id prefer if they didn't. OP was refused what more does he want, the driver to argue with him, an apology ...

Its a bus service. Maybe he'd expect to be treated like a customer. Was your dad a bus driver or something? or are you just feeling extra prickly this morning?

Its a bus service. Maybe he'd expect to be treated like a customer. Was your dad a bus driver or something? or are you just feeling extra prickly this morning?

From what i see he was treated like a customer he was brought safely to his destination was he not? Say the bus driver does open the doors at the lights for him, a cyclist gets clipped or OP falls or gets injured then the bus driver and company are in the ****.

And No my oul fella was not a bus driver nor do i know any personally. Its utterly stupid when people complain when refused for something they really shouldn't be doing. If he had been let off would the OP have still complained about a grumpy bus driver ???

From what i see he was treated like a customer he was brought safely to his destination was he not? Say the bus driver does open the doors at the lights for him, a cyclist gets clipped or OP falls or gets injured then the bus driver and company are in the ****.

And No my oul fella was not a bus driver nor do i know any personally. Its utterly stupid when people complain when refused for something they really shouldn't be doing. If he had been let off would the OP have still complained about a grumpy bus driver ???

Yes but service should also be friendly and helpful...something the service sector here lacks big time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Some drivers will stop when safe to do so, (although it is illegal in the most technical sense of the law) however a lot won't.
    From what I can remember it goes back a few years when there was an incident in which a passenger who was alighting from the bus at an unposted stop received a serious injury when alighting due to being hit by a cyclist or other vehicle. The bus company were sued by the passenger and the passanger won based on the fact that the bus shouldnt have stopped there in the first place. So the good deed of the driver was punished beacuse of what the passenger requested.
    I am not sure if that story is true but I have heard it a few times.
    Basicilly if you ask the driver and he stops for you, fair play to him and think yourself lucky.
    If he doesnt stop for you, then I would say fair enough. He is working within the guidelines set out for him and ultimately it is job on the line if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Would the OP or Wompa do something in their job that could result in them being fired? As that is what you are asking the driver to do.
    Now if the driver is feeling nice and lets you off then good on him, if not then you knew where the official stops were when you got on the bus and should make plans accordingly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Next time say you're feeling sick...travel sickness can be a bitch I hear ;)

Or don't use BE if you're unhappy with their service, and yes I would say you should "complain", to let them know why you won't be using their service again. If they don't care about your complaint, so be it, but at least they'll know why they've lost a customer and eventually they might see a pattern of very similar complaints and decide that they should address them after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

By the way OP why does the fact that the driver was wearing a base ball cap a seem to be a problem for you? Maybe he was wearing it so he wouldnt be distracted by the sun. Just like he didnt wanted to be distracted by some idiot who wanted to hop off at a major intersection just because it suited them. Maybe the driver actually likes bringing passengers from point A to point B safely without putting them or other road users lives at risk.

By the way OP why does the fact that the driver was wearing a base ball cap a seem to be a problem for you? Maybe he was wearing it so he wouldnt be distracted by the sun. Just like he didnt wanted to be distracted by some idiot who wanted to hop off at a major intersection just because it suited them. Maybe the driver actually likes bringing passengers from point A to point B safely without putting them or other road users lives at risk.

I wouldn't call it a major intersection. Also, there's a bus bay there to safely pull in and allow passengers disembark. Maybe it's the adventurous streak in me but I'd have no problem in jumping out in transit if he allowed! You see I play by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own.

Failed to mention in my post it was at night -that's why the baseball cap was strange for me! I understand people wearing them to block out sunlight, but for all the people sticky about rules and regulations here I figure it's not part of the official BE uniform.

As for BE, I'd ride Citylink anytime over them just on the day and it had to suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

It has sometimes annoyed me in the past when i book & pay for the "non-stop" service from Dublin to Galway...only to have the bus STOP to let people off at the dual carraigeway in Oranmore, at the GMIT, and at the Huntsman...and sometimes random other stops on the way down (not anymore since the new motorway opened).
    othertimes, I've been grateful to the bus drivers for letting me off in similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Maybe your adventurous streak might have led you to sue the driver and Bus Eireann if you had been hit by a bike as you hopped out as well. As regards it being night time, I presume the journey took about 3 hours so it may have been bright when leaving Dublin. Citylink and GoBus have to abide to the exact same laws so you could also get drivers who follow them on those services.

You see I play by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own.
    You play by your own rules, nobody elses not even your own.....................you do realise how stupid that sounds.........
    Seriously, you may want to grow up a little, gain a little understanding of people, organisations and some common sense.

As for the uniform/rules comment - Please give us a break. The guys not gonna lose his job over a baseball cap and no one is gonna get hurt over it.
    As we said countless times its up to the descretion of the driver whether he stops or not. Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it does.
    The private bus companies operate by the same rules by the way, if its not a listed stop its is up to the driver whether you can stop at an unlisted stop or not.

kippy wrote: »
    You play by your own rules, nobody elses not even your own.....................you do realise how stupid that sounds.........
    Seriously, you may want to grow up a little, gain a little understanding of people, organisations and some common sense.

As for the uniform/rules comment - Please give us a break. The guys not gonna lose his job over a baseball cap and no one is gonna get hurt over it.
    As we said countless times its up to the descretion of the driver whether he stops or not. Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it does.
    The private bus companies operate by the same rules by the way, if its not a listed stop its is up to the driver whether you can stop at an unlisted stop or not.

Not necessarily, I came in to work on short notice wearing a cap, my hair was all over the place. I was called in to cover someone that was sick in a centra. I was wearing a centra cap that some of the deli staff use and was told to lose it or leave. But my boss was a biiiiaatch.

Also You play by your own rules, nobody elses not even your own....he was quoting Family Guy

Also You play by your own rules, nobody elses not even your own....he was quoting Family Guy
    When your boss is a biiiiatch you can lose your job for looking arseways.

Its a pretty stupid quote in this instance.........

Worse still, looking arseways on your day off

That's a pretty stupid statement in this instance.........

Only having a laugh -lighten up! We're talking about a bus stop here nobody's getting hurt!

• Advertisement

That's a pretty stupid statement in this instance.........

Only having a laugh -lighten up! We're talking about a bus stop here nobody's getting hurt!
    Having a laugh.............
    Its a pretty serious issue. serious enough for you to post a thread up here about it.

I wonder would you be having a laugh right now if you were indeed hurt after alighting said bust at this particular busstop. The bus company I believe wouldnt be insured for said incident as outlined already and the rest of us would directly or indirectly be picking up the can for your "laugh".

Advertisement