Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who actually carrys their camera with them... mines to big

• 22-03-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering away here to myself that im not taking enough photos and i was thinking why this is? well ive come to the conclusion that i dont head the advice of most photographers 'must do' lists in January .... that being always carry your camera. tbh my camera a canon 30d is to big to be carrying around on my person all the time. Although i would have it with me in the car most days. So im just wondering who actually carries their camera around with them all the time and if you do is it always your dslr or do you you carry a compact of some sort... an old film slr etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I almost always have at least one camera with me. Weather it is a compact digital P&S (have 2), DSLR, SLR, Rangefinder or toy (holga) will all depend on how I feel on the day, what I am going to be doing and weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

That really defeats the purpose of having a camera. For me the (eight pound) tripod is the problem item, so I've moved to carrying a film SLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I carry mine with me 99.9%, I know the feeling Women have of carrying a handbag now. :o

The rare time I don't bring it I am always lookinga round me thinking I'm forgetting something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I started bringing my camera with me most places now - at the very least I have my p&s on me. Just shelled out for a 5D so to justify it I am dragging it along with me everywhere. If it keeps raining the locals down in the pub will be the most photographed folk in Vancouver soon enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

AT the moment I've only the compact/bridge cam and it fits nicely in my jacket pocket, so it's always in there when I'm out. I'm in the market for a used dslr atm. Can't see me carrying that around as much, it'll be more when I'm heading out specifically to shoot. The bridge cam will remain on my person most other times, always afraid I'll miss some excitement if I don't have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

P&S lives in the handbag.

DSRL comes out with me mostly on the weekends.

Toy (Diana) when filled with film lives in the car.

I always saw a lovely photo oppurtunity when NOT having a bleeding camera with me -apart from the phone that is - so I made myself carry on at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you did not buy that a200 that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I always take my DSLR with me, as SlidingInfinity will attest to. I came out from work one day and saw the most amazing sunset and of course I had no camera with me. That was the motivation for me lugging it around each day. I carry it in a Lowepro Nova 2 AW and have gotten used to it at this stage, to the point that I don't really notice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I carry mine with me 99.9%, I know the feeling Women have of carrying a handbag now. :o

Mine lives in my handbag :P
    I used to lug around the camera bag with all my lenses but it got so heavy and difficult I just take the 50mm around now and failing that, my P + S is permanantly attached to me (it even goes to work to sit in my locker :P)

Martron wrote: »
    you did not buy that a200 that time?

No I hadn't enough and the guy sold it on to the next bidder :(

Presume you're talking to me? [unless someone else was after an A200 recently too? :D ] But I have found another one, better deal, comes with kit + 50mm and a 4GB card. I have the money here ready but I'm awaiting the guy to get home from Poland. He says he'll be back in Dub weds so I'm hoping I don't get let down on this one too.

• Advertisement

No I hadn't enough and the guy sold it on to the next bidder :(

Presume you're talking to me? [unless someone else was after an A200 recently too? :D ] But I have found another one, better deal, comes with kit + 50mm and a 4GB card. I have the money here ready but I'm awaiting the guy to get home from Poland. He says he'll be back in Dub weds so I'm hoping I don't get let down on this one too.

and 50mm nice hop you get it

Me too will know by weds. I've mailed him a few times a bit excitedly. Asking him when he'll be back, what day he wants to meet etc ... He mailed back pretty much to say, hould yer horses :D and says he'll throw in a macro filter for the wait. I just hope he keeps to it, as he had another lens and flash gun in the bundle and I keep feeling he's holding out for someone to buy the lot.

To stay on topic: Do you carry that sony around at all times? Bit big for a jacket pocket I reckon? :D

no it only comes on planned excursions. i should bring it out more.

oh and if i had the camera i would be sure to have the wrong lens!!! so i would have to bring them too.......

mind you i have a lowe pro slingshot. so it makes it easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I stopped carrying a handbag when I got serious about taking photos, but now that I take photos 3+ days a week for work I only really take it when I am working, when someone asks me to or if I am specifically going out to take pics for fun, otherwise I couldnt be bothered. Now I cant get used to carrying a handag again when I'm going out. I even leave it in work somedays because I couldnt be bothered to bring it home.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I stopped carrying a camera and now carry a handbag.

Which usually has some nifty little film p+s, a bit of lippy and large rizlas. I, like KH, once missed a sunset when I hadn't a hand bag on me to throw at it. So now I'm never caught short.

Who knew there was so many handbag carriers [a.k.a girls] on here!? :P

See, it's easier for the women I think, you can get away with carrying a semi-large handbag that might fit a tidy dslr and 50mm without drawing any attention.

For the boys, carrying a bag about everywhere often gets strange stares from the general public. It's true! "What's that fella up to with that big bag? he always has it on him! could be ANYTHING in it!" :D [you're in tesco down the bread aisle and the grannies are a gossipin']

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I normally have my little olympus XA stuck into a jacket pocket, even when I'm carrying something else. It's double dipped occasionally :D
    Failing that something else small and pocketable. I've gotten some surprisingly good shots from my little plastic gakkenflex which is an ungainly pocket size. Probably the ultimate carry round cam that I have is a ricoh auto-half, half frame with a clockwork wind up motor ...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

90% of the time the cameras are with me.

Lowe Pro Slingshot 200aw here.... so no excuses. (hidden rain cover works a treat in Ireland)

Carries my P&S and my 410 with at least 2 lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

One I caught while going home from the Camera Club

64A1CFB376B149CFB439AE394B63A9CF.jpg

You'd b a weiser buddy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I carry the G9 with me about 99% of the time. To have a good carry around camera is why I ventured slightly into the dark side. I also have a couple of spare batteries and a memory card in a nice little Lowepro soft case. Like AR said before, it feels strange when I don't have it with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,402 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Have a sigma dp2 which is small and light enough and the camera I'll take with me most often. Do have a dslr but doesn't get taken anywhere much anymore. Have a few film cameras which also get used the odd time. And the mobile phone will get used if I'm stuck without and proper camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

tbh my camera a canon 30d is to big to be carrying around on my person all the time.
    Unless you are only 18 inches tall a 30D is not too big to carry around with you.

I have a camera on me nearly all the time. If I don't want to carry one of my SLRs I'll carry a point and shoot film camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've a little vivitar 35es rangefinder that I got after Christmas. It's basically the same as the konica auto s3. It lives in my little camera bag most if the time :)

My slr is too big to carry around with me most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi all, just wondering away here to myself that im not taking enough photos and i was thinking why this is? well ive come to the conclusion that i dont head the advice of most photographers 'must do' lists in January .... that being always carry your camera. tbh my camera a canon 30d is to big to be carrying around on my person all the time. Although i would have it with me in the car most days. So im just wondering who actually carries their camera around with them all the time and if you do is it always your dslr or do you you carry a compact of some sort... an old film slr etc...

I don't. I spent a lot of time shooting kitesurf and realised very early on that there will always be shots that got away. But I do actually decide to take photographs, be it at home, or going home, getting camera and moving onwards.

I've an archive of about 50-60000 photographs taken over the past 4 years. It's not the carrying around of the camera that makes it happens; it's the decision to go and shoot that makes it happen.

I do however, have two camera bags, the big one and the small one and that's because the physical act of carrying all the gear tends to hurt my back over time. And I bought a very light little tripod for the reasons laid out by Fenster.

For those of you surprised there are so many women around; don't be. There have always been quite a few on this forum.

It's very easy to get caught up on the gear side of things sometimes; but you don't accidentally get lucky either. Sometimes you have to actively go and seek the shots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I usually always have mine with me bar going to work.

I think everyone has had that "the one that got away" moment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For out and about I usually bring a 5d with a 50mm f1.4 and for everything else its the g9

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

If I am heading out no where in particular for at least a few hours I will always bring a compact, But if I know I will be near to somewhere during the day when I am out I bring my dslr and bag, many a time I have said I wish I had of brought my camera, so that is what I do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

5D and 24-70 2.8L in the backpack with me at all times. Took the grip off for day to day shooting to save weight but it's still a heavy b*stard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Always have a camera with me, during daylight hours and at night most of time too... you just never know what you might see. in fact have cameras in the car, at work, in my 'handbag',

Advertisement