Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who have being in couselling..

• 22-03-2010 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Why then do they always want to be counsellors? Or think automatically they will be a good counsellor? It kind of blows my mind TBH.

I am saying this is not always the case but it does seem to be pretty regular.

What do the professionals think? Do they come across it much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Same reasons people often want to become nurses or doctors - having been at the recieving end, and realising how much help they've been, inspires people to try to enter the profession themselves. And I suppose counselling is easier to get into than the other professions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Why then do they always want to be counsellors? Or think automatically they will be a good counsellor? It kind of blows my mind TBH.

Why would it blow your mind?

I encounter it a lot, I do a significant amount of my work in the addiction field, historically, a most the the therapists in 12 step treatment facilities came from an addictive background.

My view point on it, especially from the addiction side is mixed. To stick with this example, a person who is in recovery from addiction will have had a significant amount of their life marked by addiction, personally, I think it would be a better step if they picked a different career, I know it's from a different position but why spend the rest of their working life in an area that caused them so much conflict. With saying that I have no problem with it, if that is what a person decides on; however; I do think they need to give themselves a few years to work on their own issues.

I have seen training courses take on people in early recovery who where not ready for it. I had a client who's life was in a mess from drug use, they had a BA in Psychotherapy. The big issue for me is when people start stating you can't understand a condition unless you have experienced it. I have worked with all addictions, most mental illnesses, varying types of PTSD, victims of sex crimes, people who have carried out sex or other very serious crimes. How could one person experience the range of conditions that you encounter as a general psychotherapist, it just isn't possible.

It is also common enough for people like those you metioned train as a therapist, and then discover its not for them. The person's subjective history isn't an issue for me, once the don't see their road to recovery and what helped them as the only way for a client to recover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Same reasons people often want to become nurses or doctors - having been at the recieving end, and realising how much help they've been, inspires people to try to enter the profession themselves. And I suppose counselling is easier to get into than the other professions.

This totally rings true with me.

I spent well over a month in a ward in a Dublin hospital not too long ago and the care and support I got for the medical and nursing team while there made me want to work in that feild. I never had any interest in it before and it quickly wore off when I realised the reality of the job and just how hard nurses actually work. I couldn't physically do some of the stuff they do on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I don't believe that everyone who has been through some difficulty in life automatically think they can be good therapists. People I have met on my own journey in life who have been through therapy, never even considered it as an option - they were just happy that it helped them.

Personally speaking I believe that it is through facing difficulties in life, that can help potential clients - I am not talking about necessarily having the same experiences, but just having worked through difficulties in life. There is a school of thought that says that a therapist can only bring a client as far as he/she is willing to go themselves, which is part of the reason why students have to have a minimum number of their own personal therapy during any counselling/psychotherapy course.

A former friend of mine used to see people in a carework capacity, and she used to think she knew exactly how they felt etc. To me that struck a nerve with me, as no one can know exactly how someone is feeling, they may empathise etc with them, but everyone's experiences even in similar situations are unique to them. I did have misgivings about her studying the course she was (but never aired them to her), she was quite active in a very unhealthy behaviour during the course, and had to take time out for 6 weeks midway during the course - I do believe people should be behaviour free for a minimum of a few years before engaging in counselling courses, as I believe this can cement the recovery process, say in addiction, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

Odysseus wrote: »
    Why would it blow your mind?

I encounter it a lot, I do a significant amount of my work in the addiction field, historically, a most the the therapists in 12 step treatment facilities came from an addictive background.

My view point on it, especially from the addiction side is mixed. To stick with this example, a person who is in recovery from addiction will have had a significant amount of their life marked by addiction, personally, I think it would be a better step if they picked a different career, I know it's from a different position but why spend the rest of their working life in an area that caused them so much conflict. With saying that I have no problem with it, if that is what a person decides on; however; I do think they need to give themselves a few years to work on their own issues.

I have seen training courses take on people in early recovery who where not ready for it. I had a client who's life was in a mess from drug use, they had a BA in Psychotherapy. The big issue for me is when people start stating you can't understand a condition unless you have experienced it. I have worked with all addictions, most mental illnesses, varying types of PTSD, victims of sex crimes, people who have carried out sex or other very serious crimes. How could one person experience the range of conditions that you encounter as a general psychotherapist, it just isn't possible.

It is also common enough for people like those you metioned train as a therapist, and then discover its not for them. The person's subjective history isn't an issue for me, once the don't see their road to recovery and what helped them as the only way for a client to recover.

Blow my mind is not the best way to describe it. It just i feel adds to the public perception of counsellors being a bit mad(unhealthy mentally) themselves and probably more f*cked up themselves than the people they are counselling. I am saying saying everyone feels this way, tis just my own experience.

I only know 3 counsellors myself and they are barking mad.

In a foundation course at the moment and all other 7 class mates have being to counselling - i wouldn't trust any of them with a dog.

This is only MY experience - i realise i am making sweeping generalizations but again tis MY experience.

Tis just somewhat putting me off the idea of a career in therapy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I didn't realise there was a public perception of counsellors being mentally unhealthy! Maybe that's why they always keep going on about Denial!! :p

I suppose all I'd say about your colleagues on the foundation course - they're a long way away from being anywhere near a client. Most courses will have a requirement to attend an amount of personal therapy as part of the course and personally I'd have thought that was to encourage them in their own personal growth and to I suppose work on their own issues to some level (and everyone has plenty of them) before they go near a client. This is healthy.

Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to do this sort of work, as you say in your original post of course some are inspired by being helped by a therapist themselves. All I'd say is if you actually want to pursue it, don't let the perception that counsellors are mentally unhealthy and "a bit mad" put you off - it doesn't mean that you personally will actually be so just because there's a perceived stereotype of a whole group of professionals.

I didn't realise there was a public perception of counsellors being mentally unhealthy! Maybe that's why they always keep going on about Denial!! :p

Actually I come across that very often. However, in most cases they are speaking about the therapist outside of a clinical setting. Even within my own clinic there is a clear distinction between how I am with people, staff or clients and how I am within a session.

In my setting its impossible to be the psychoanalytic blank screen, where the clients knows nothing about me. I'm in the working in the same clinics for over 8 years know, some of our clients attend every day and have been there longer than me. So they pick up bits from over hear conversations and the like.

Do you mean Odysseus that the bits and pieces picked up around the place can give a particular perception that may or may not be true, so the client thinks they know more about you than if you were the traditional blank screen? It must be all grist for the mill as they say...

In fairness now I think about it, I have met a good few "characters" in the psychotherapy field but to be honest not any great deal more than any other area that I know groups of people in. Perhaps it's me who is the "character" :D

Do you mean Odysseus that the bits and pieces picked up around the place can give a particular perception that may or may not be true, so the client thinks they know more about you than if you were the traditional blank screen? It must be all grist for the mill as they say...

In fairness now I think about it, I have met a good few "characters" in the psychotherapy field but to be honest not any great deal more than any other area that I know groups of people in. Perhaps it's me who is the "character" :D

Yeah they pick up bits and pieces as staff talk in the waiting room and stuff. If I expecting a client I may be in the waiting area myself, and of course you end up chatting to other staff. Like any thing else people are always trying to pick up info, especially on their doctor or therapist. General tranference stuff. People come to us to speak our their lives; but want to listen to ours;)

You more prone to stuff like this where you have daily interactions with long term service users who may not even be your particular client.

I wouldn't engage in topics like this in the waiting area, but because of some of my interests, endurance/extreme sports, hunting and the fact I like powerful motorbikes, people are often suprised when I tell them I a therapist. If as if I don't fit into a certain stereotype for a psychoanalyst, whatever that is!

My own opinion is that you can only judge whatever a good therapist is based on the clinical work they do. It sometimes appears to me that people think we should all be psychologically perfect, because of our job.

I suppose all I'd say about your colleagues on the foundation course - they're a long way away from being anywhere near a client. Most courses will have a requirement to attend an amount of personal therapy as part of the course and personally I'd have thought that was to encourage them in their own personal growth and to I suppose work on their own issues to some level (and everyone has plenty of them) before they go near a client. This is healthy.

Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to do this sort of work, as you say in your original post of course some are inspired by being helped by a therapist themselves. All I'd say is if you actually want to pursue it, don't let the perception that counsellors are mentally unhealthy and "a bit mad" put you off - it doesn't mean that you personally will actually be so just because there's a perceived stereotype of a whole group of professionals.

There really is! I think some it stems from the fact that a lot of counsellors have being through counselling themselves, therefore they are not the full bob. Obviously this is a bit silly but i do think there is some truth in the fact that a fair percentage of counsellors are not mentally well and trying to help others really to help themselves. Also from what i am learning is basically anyone can call himself a counsellor without proper qualifications. I'd say a lot of people out there are doing more damage than good (again only my opinion).

I agree completely with your last paragraph, i should not give a hoot what people think really but i do!

• Advertisement

There really is! I think some it stems from the fact that a lot of counsellors have being through counselling themselves, therefore they are not the full bob.

Honestly, I think it's a good thing rather than a bad thing that a counsellor will have at least spent some time on the other side of the chair! Even if it's just to have the experience of what it's like to actually go to therapy and do the work that you'll be asking of your own clients. I don't think that it makes you not the full bob just because you've attended therapy at some stage, (and in fact I'd hate to think that a counsellor I was going to thought that I wasn't the full bob because I was attending!) however I'm guessing from what you are saying this is the attitude you have come across yourself.

I think as part of our humanity everybody has their own issues, to varying degrees of course, and I think its a good thing to be able to ask for help when required. Nobody, absolutely nobody is ever going to resolve every single one of their issues 100%, no matter what they work at.

oh just another point about what you said about anyone calling themselves a counsellor - that is true, but there's also many who have done it the right way too.

Honestly, I think it's a good thing rather than a bad thing that a counsellor will have at least spent some time on the other side of the chair! Even if it's just to have the experience of what it's like to actually go to therapy and do the work that you'll be asking of your own clients. I don't think that it makes you not the full bob just because you've attended therapy at some stage, (and in fact I'd hate to think that a counsellor I was going to thought that I wasn't the full bob because I was attending!) however I'm guessing from what you are saying this is the attitude you have come across yourself.

I think as part of our humanity everybody has their own issues, to varying degrees of course, and I think its a good thing to be able to ask for help when required. Nobody, absolutely nobody is ever going to resolve every single one of their issues 100%, no matter what they work at.

oh just another point about what you said about anyone calling themselves a counsellor - that is true, but there's also many who have done it the right way too.

I agree totally - i fully understand if i went on and did a degree I'd have to do 100 hours of personal therapy myself as course obligations.

I am referring to very troubled people who have being to counselling, not really healthy mentally and have just decided they want to be a counsellor.

I think maybe it is too easy to be a counsellor, apparently legally all you need is a two year diploma and then you are qualified. I am looking at a 4 year degree and i just found out there are no exams in this degree - that really does blow my mind!!

I am a bit disappointed - the course is great and i really am believing more and more in the power of counselling so to speak and i'd like to go on, but even my own image of actual counsellors is going down and down. Of course there are great people out there, but the amount of nut jobs for want of a better phrase in counselling seems to be quite high.

I get what you're saying about people who are currently very troubled, you can only hope if someone is truly unsuitable that the selection and feedback processes of the course they go on will spot that. As you say, someone can go off and set up as a counsellor without any training but I'm sure statutory regulation might sort that out.

As far as that degree you were looking at that has no exams, although this was not the case in my own course, from what I hear you can rest assured there'll be plenty of assessment throughout!

I think its a shame that your experience seems to be that you've met a lot of people that don't inspire you in terms of the profession, I have met such people and it can be offputting. But on the other hand, I've also met some fantastic therapists who I respect a great deal and who have helped renew my faith in the profession and this counteracts the bad ones, for me anyway. :)

I agree totally - i fully understand if i went on and did a degree I'd have to do 100 hours of personal therapy myself as course obligations.

I am referring to very troubled people who have being to counselling, not really healthy mentally and have just decided they want to be a counsellor.

I think maybe it is too easy to be a counsellor, apparently legally all you need is a two year diploma and then you are qualified. I am looking at a 4 year degree and i just found out there are no exams in this degree - that really does blow my mind!!

I am a bit disappointed - the course is great and i really am believing more and more in the power of counselling so to speak and i'd like to go on, but even my own image of actual counsellors is going down and down. Of course there are great people out there, but the amount of nut jobs for want of a better phrase in counselling seems to be quite high.

Exactly how many do you know? Is this just within your current grouping ir a wider context? If so how wider?

It might be easy to call yourself a counsellor, getting clients is a different thing.

What you may be describing is the subjective nature of people, in terms of psychodiagnostics there is a term for everyone of us out that. Turn a therapeutic spotlight on anybody's life and you will find something.

Exactly how many do you know? Is this just within your current grouping ir a wider context? If so how wider?

It might be easy to call yourself a counsellor, getting clients is a different thing.

What you may be describing is the subjective nature of people, in terms of psychodiagnostics there is a term for everyone of us out that. Turn a therapeutic spotlight on anybody's life and you will find something.

I only know 3 counsellors personally - hand on heart i feel they are barking mad - i couldn't take them serious - they have far more issues than i could even fathom and i certainly wouldn't go near them for counselling.

I am only speculating here really, but in general most people(including myself) I know wouldn't have much time or respect for counsellor's for the reasons i have mentioned. Now i am just wondering is this to with the fact that maybe it is too easy to qualify as a counsellor and every tom,dick and harry can do it - hence you might end up with a fair few who are not the full bob. Even the facilitator (think that is the correct term) for the group i am in alluded to the fact there are a lot of people out there practicing who really should not.

I presume you are right about getting clients - i presume many don't as most people can read a person and see if they are up to the task or not.

Of course there are well adjusted fantastic counsellors out there - i just have yet to come across any! In saying that i've met three but have certainly not heard good reports from friends/family about the ones they have encountered.

If i do continue on with my studies, for my own personal therapy i will certainly want to know about their qualifications,beliefs, etc. before we crack on together.

I get what you're saying about people who are currently very troubled, you can only hope if someone is truly unsuitable that the selection and feedback processes of the course they go on will spot that. As you say, someone can go off and set up as a counsellor without any training but I'm sure statutory regulation might sort that out.

As far as that degree you were looking at that has no exams, although this was not the case in my own course, from what I hear you can rest assured there'll be plenty of assessment throughout!

I think its a shame that your experience seems to be that you've met a lot of people that don't inspire you in terms of the profession, I have met such people and it can be offputting. But on the other hand, I've also met some fantastic therapists who I respect a great deal and who have helped renew my faith in the profession and this counteracts the bad ones, for me anyway. :)

I'd like to meet these people too! I just want to meet a few normal well adjusted therapists who are good at their job and can relax and chill out like myself.

I've had enough of the guy who has being a raging alcoholic for twenty years and who know wants to be an addiction counsellor, the lady who is currently in counselling and also in my class, another lady in my class who was in bereavement counselling two years ago and now wants to specialize in bereavement counselling,etc. I could go on with the list but i won't!

These are your classmates youre talking about? They may or may not ever end up being counsellors.

Who I'm talking about are lecturers, experienced therapists such as supervisor that I've met. Perhaps if you met a few more of these rather than just your colleagues in your foundation course who may or may not end up working in the field, and your facilitator you might have a different insight. Or perhaps not.
    I am only speculating here really, but in general most people(including myself) I know wouldn't have much time or respect for counsellor's for the reasons i have mentioned. Now i am just wondering is this to with the fact that maybe it is too easy to qualify as a counsellor and every tom,dick and harry can do it - hence you might end up with a fair few who are not the full bob

You mention that you and most people you know don't have much time or respect for counsellors, yet you're on a foundation course? I'm curious why you'd want to do that if this is how you feel.

I have to say personally I don't think it's an easy road at all to qualify.

These are your classmates youre talking about? They may or may not ever end up being counsellors.

Who I'm talking about are lecturers, experienced therapists such as supervisor that I've met. Perhaps if you met a few more of these rather than just your colleagues in your foundation course who may or may not end up working in the field, and your facilitator you might have a different insight. Or perhaps not.

You mention that you and most people you know don't have much time or respect for counsellors, yet you're on a foundation course? I'm curious why you'd want to do that if this is how you feel.

I have to say personally I don't think it's an easy road at all to qualify.

I am referring to my classmates and the three counsellors i know.

For example just even out of the 3 counsellors i know two are alcoholics and gambling addicts. One of them keeps blowing on about the three demons (drink,alcohol,gambling) and how they all lead to a dark road in her words. No they don't love, it just so happens for what ever reason you happened not be able to handle either. The other counsellor i know, who's life is very dependent on exercise, told me the other day they have "found their time at the gym". I just couldn't take either of these characters serious.

I don't have much time for counsellors that Ive come across or heard of and this is leadinf me to tar them all with the same brush. I fully believe in therapy and love studing it - have wanted to do so since i was about 17.

I am not saying tis easy, but i think, and i am open to correction here, is that all you need is a 2 year diploma and you are qualified. However as someone else pointed out getting clients is a very different thing.

You are spot on though - the facilitator is very good - seems 'normal' so to speak and i enjoy the classes.

I suppose as you were saying yourself anyone can set up as a counsellor without any training - what training or qualifications have the three you speak of got? Perhaps they haven't gone down the more "legitimate" roads which might be self explanatory.

2 year diploma is the minimum, many people do degrees and masters. I would say it's a training that doesn't only require time and effort academically but a lot in terms of personal development also, as I'm sure you're getting a flavour for on the foundation.

I suppose as you were saying yourself anyone can set up as a counsellor without any training - what training or qualifications have the three you speak of got? Perhaps they haven't gone down the more "legitimate" roads which might be self explanatory.

2 year diploma is the minimum, many people do degrees and masters. I would say it's a training that doesn't only require time and effort academically but a lot in terms of personal development also, as I'm sure you're getting a flavour for on the foundation.

I am not 100% sure of their training to be honest - i do know they have diplomas but i am not sure after that. At the end of the day it shouldn't bother me really...but unfortunately it does!

I'll never forget that line "I have found my time down at the gym" in this very calm,serene voice really emphasizing the word found as though he'd found the f*cking Titanic!!Still laughing at it...

• Advertisement

At the end of the day, there's people in every profession who are good at what they do, and people who are not so good... be they therapists, doctors, bus drivers, shop assistants.

By the way being a therapist and a good one at that doesn't require that you have to change your personality - you might have quirky characteristics, or have particular opinions or hobbies, you're entitled to that and to be yourself, once you can work in session in an effective manner. Likewise, these counsellors you're talking of have their foibles, it doesnt mean you have to adopt similar should you begin working in the field - you can still be yourself but yourself with more training, if you know what I mean.

I am not 100% sure of their training to be honest - i do know they have diplomas but i am not sure after that. At the end of the day it shouldn't bother me really...but unfortunately it does!

I'll never forget that line "I have found my time down at the gym" in this very calm,serene voice really emphasizing the word found as though he'd found the f*cking Titanic!!Still laughing at it...

If their on a foundation course they are not therapists, they may have some type of support role, but if they where therapists there would be know need for them to be there.

I don't konw about the therapist you quote above, I spend most of my day listening to horrible life histories, you need some way to unwind at the end of the day. I hunt/target shoot, run or engage in MA to unwind.

A lot of unqualified people have made that a similar statement about me, that I'm addicted to fitness. No I'm an endurance runner, when I am training for a event that may require me to run 100km or a marathon a day for five days in the Sahara I need to be very focused. There is a big difference between that and addiction.

You need to learn more about addiction treatment in Ireland, one of the main types is based upon 12 step treatment, which it sounds like the person in your group experienced. As for the beveavement person, many people come to train because of personal experience, hopefully through good quality training and personal therapy [never mind 100 hrs I did five years of analysis]
    that will be addressed. That person sounds like a typical 12 step person in early recovery.

You state in another post about personal therapy and that you would want to know the person's quals and beliefs, I would gladly discuss the first but the latter has nothing to do with a client.

Forget the others is the best advise I can give you and focus on you becoming a good therapist.

I am not saying tis easy, but i think, and i am open to correction here, is that all you need is a 2 year diploma and you are qualified. However as someone else pointed out getting clients is a very different thing.

That level with get you started, have a look at the requirements for becoming a full member of a professional body, its a bit more than that. Hours spent with clients and personal therapy which you metioned. Yes I think it needs to be thighted up more, but its not as easy as you think.

If their on a foundation course they are not therapists, they may have some type of support role, but if they where therapists there would be know need for them to be there.

I don't konw about the therapist you quote above, I spend most of my day listening to horrible life histories, you need some way to unwind at the end of the day. I hunt/target shoot, run or engage in MA to unwind.

A lot of unqualified people have made that a similar statement about me, that I'm addicted to fitness. No I'm an endurance runner, when I am training for a event that may require me to run 100km or a marathon a day for five days in the Sahara I need to be very focused. There is a big difference between that and addiction.

You need to learn more about addiction treatment in Ireland, one of the main types is based upon 12 step treatment, which it sounds like the person in your group experienced. As for the beveavement person, many people come to train because of personal experience, hopefully through good quality training and personal therapy [never mind 100 hrs I did five years of analysis]
    that will be addressed. That person sounds like a typical 12 step person in early recovery.

You state in another post about personal therapy and that you would want to know the person's quals and beliefs, I would gladly discuss the first but the latter has nothing to do with a client.

Forget the others is the best advise I can give you and focus on you becoming a good therapist.

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

Jimmypitt you said you love studying therapy and have wanted to do it since you were 17 yet your discourse is peppered with terms such as "barking mad" and "not the full bob". This isn't the kind of language that serious people with compassion for those who are suffering use.

There is a concept in therapy called the "wounded healer", that having gone through suffering brings with it a certain frame of reference in relation to understanding and compassion of the suffering of others. You sound very judgemental in your posts, the opposite of that understanding and compassion.

Given the choice between a therapist who is a wounded healer and one who is judgemental, I know who I'm going to choose every time.

hotspur wrote: »
    Jimmypitt you said you love studying therapy and have wanted to do it since you were 17 yet your discourse is peppered with terms such as "barking mad" and "not the full bob". This isn't the kind of language that serious people with compassion for those who are suffering use.

There is a concept in therapy called the "wounded healer", that having gone through suffering brings with it a certain frame of reference in relation to understanding and compassion of the suffering of others. You sound very judgemental in your posts, the opposite of that understanding and compassion.

Given the choice between a therapist who is a wounded healer and one who is judgemental, I know who I'm going to choose every time.

I hear what you are saying, however they are flippant phrases and some of the people i am referring to are simply not the full bob. Now i am sure i could be more professional and say they are not mentally well/in need or more therapy ( or whatever professional phrase might be more appropriate) but i could not be arsed as this is an internet forum.Barking mad is a great phrase to sum up some people i think.

I hear what you are saying, however they are flippant phrases and some of the people i am referring to are simply not the full bob.

Barking mad is a great phrase to sum up some people i think.

You know, I think I'm going to bow out of this thread. Maybe its better if you don't pursue it if that's how you persistently refer to troubled individuals.

You know, I think I'm going to bow out of this thread. Maybe its better if you don't pursue it if that's how you persistently refer to troubled individuals.

I am joking - i would have thought that was obvious. Relax :D

I hear what you are saying, however they are flippant phrases and some of the people i am referring to are simply not the full bob. Now i am sure i could be more professional and say they are not mentally well/in need or more therapy ( or whatever professional phrase might be more appropriate) but i could not be arsed as this is an internet forum.Barking mad is a great phrase to sum up some people i think.

From your first post I have been wondering if you are genuine or a troll having a laugh. I have and still am giving you the benefit of doubt. I have a very dark/black sense of humor, personally I think you need it if you are listening to horrendous life histories for most of your working day, regualarly having clients die etc.

However, a psychology forum is not really the place to be expressing that. If you are genuine I would suggest you ponder on that, because this forum will be very valuable to you as you proceed on your career path; that is if you are genuine. There are worst things that being a tad eccentric and one of those is exposing yourself in a unprofessional manner. The net isn't totally anonymous and things can come back to haunt you.

Even worst you are genuine, but you carry on with "flippant" terms, then someday you come looking for advise around which course you should go for; and people can't be arsed because they remember you as the "nutjob".

• Advertisement
Advertisement