Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Book Pro (for Music Production / DJing)

Options
  • 22-03-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

My brother is studying Music Technology and need his first Mac. My experience with Macs is extremely limited (having never owned one). So when considering specs, I'm looking at the hardware/cost like it's just another PC and I can't see how the price tags are justified. Fair enough it's a Mac, but surely there are places either in the country or online where value can be had for Mac hardware.

Portability is a must, so desktops are out. He has about €1 - 1.3k to spend, and can get discounts in local shops, but looking at €1.6k+ for a laptop with 4GB of RAM is a bit rich. I will drive anywhere in the country if we can save a few hundred for the lad. He's musically brilliant, and needs his Mac, the 'ol PC just doesn't complement his hippy soul any more ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

laptopsdirect.ie is your best bet.

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

it's just another PC and I can't see how the price tags are justified.

It's not - Macs are built with quality hardware and also with quality software to run the hardware. This is why macs are so popular for music production - poor hardware can hog the other components such as the sound card causing poor latency (big problem in music production). May not be such a problem though if he is primarily using software to create the music.

Macs are made by a company called Quanta based in Taiwan - these machines are built to spec for apple and rebranded as Macs. They use texas instruments quality components. Although some of this might have changed now as I'm not involved in any of these industries to keep up to date.

Anyway there are other sellers out there selling rebranded Quantas and probably for cheaper if you don't like Apples premium prices. I'm sure though you have to deal with the issue that your brother needs to look cool among the mainstream if he's going into first year.

Anyways overall he will probably get away with a standard enough laptop to start off and can learn about what exactly he needs from a machine as he gains experience.

Advertisement