Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mullingar Headshops, opinions please

• 22-03-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Soo I've heard of these places before, actually went in there the other day. There's one across from Mojos Night Club called "The Hemporium" and one down Blackhall called "High Times" (I think those names are right)

Personally I think the idea of these head shops is a load of arse, tbh. Not trying to promote the use of drugs or condone it or anything, but the point is it's meant to be illegal. Rule of thumb pretty much is that if it's illegal, the legal or "watered down" kind is gonna be overpriced and just overall ****

I went in there after school the other day to try out their equivalent of weed. The place was just, well, pretty horrible overall. Not to mention it was pretty dear too. My opinion on this legal counterpart is exactly as I stated before

I definitely will not be going back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

1) Some people buy from the headshops because they don't want to get on the wrong side of the law by buying from dealers.
    2) Some people buy from the headshops because the town's dry and they can't find any illegal suppliers.
    3) Some people buy from the headshops 'cuz they want to see what the craic is.

The Hemporium's actually relatively nice inside, albeit there isn't a load of variety. The staff are relatively nice people. The other one, High Times.. dodgy as hell. Place is run by knackers, I've walked in there and seen 8 year old kids in tracksuits smoking some of the stuff they sell. Buuuut it used to be open til 4am. It still is if you know the right people. And that's where it gets most of its business when the Hemporium's closed.

The headshops in the 'gar are fairly crap in terms of variety, but you gotta remember it's really not that big a town. And it all comes down to the particular stuff you buy and what works for you-- some of the stuff I get a great buzz off, sometimes better than the illegal stuff, other stuff I just feel nothing at all. So I wouldn't write it off completely. You just need to find something that suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Ramza wrote: »

I went in there after school the other day

I definitely will not be going back

Good, cos it sounds like you're too young. headshops are for over 18's only.

do you feel the same way about pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 drave

does anyone know the number. ha ha
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Good, cos it sounds like you're too young. headshops are for over 18's only.

do you feel the same way about pubs?

I'm 19

No?

what do you consider more dangerous, alcohol or soft illegal drugs such as marijuana, and why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

i dont see the problem with legal highs, there been around for years. its only in the last few months people are complaining.

more people die in drink related incidents then with legal highs.

outwest wrote: »
    i dont see the problem with legal highs, there been around for years. its only in the last few months ignorant people who believe what the scaremongering media, joe duffy and gerry ryan are telling them are complaining.

more people die in drink related incidents then with legal highs.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

what do you consider more dangerous, alcohol or soft illegal drugs such as marijuana, and why?

they can all be equaly as dangerous if you dont know how to use them sensibly. Thing is people tend to get more violent with alohol (majority of course). Majority of smokers tend to get high and just float around like a zombie :)
    liah wrote: »
    1) Some people buy from the headshops because they don't want to get on the wrong side of the law by buying from dealers.
    2) Some people buy from the headshops because the town's dry and they can't find any illegal suppliers.
    4) Some people go there because that stuff is cleaner than buying mixed crap of the dealers

my addition :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spudz76

I've never bought anything from a head shop and never will, it's all a pile of ****e.

All those chemical alternatives come from China, not too long ago many Chinese children died as a result of milk companies putting illegal additives into their milk mix. That was a product designed for human consumption.

If the Chinese are willing to do that to their own children, then what the hell is being sold in those headshops?

Rather then waste your time money and health on fuk knows what is in those bags, save your cash and head over to Amsterdam every few weeks.

and its not the same **** with the dealers? the only difference is if something goes wrong with the substances that were sold legally you can sue some one :) good luck bringing a dealer to court :)

how do you know that the drug dealers dont put the same **** in crack weed and ganj? cause they do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Good luck trying to take a chinese company manufacturing head shop goods to court.....
    And yeah, I've known most of my dealers pretty well, and a good few of them have been growers too.
    how do you know that the drug dealers dont put the same **** in crack weed and ganj? cause they do!
    What does that sentence even mean ?

Good luck trying to take a chinese company manufacturing head shop goods to court.....
    And yeah, I've known most of my dealers pretty well, and a good few of them have been growers too.

What does that sentence even mean ?

need a dictionary? you slow? why would you sue the Chinese company! you can sue the retailer and if he will put the blame on the supplier im sure the court would bring a rep of the manufacturer in it...

You still haven't answered my question.

What do you define as Ganj ? Are you talking about soap bar ? because the results are defeinitly back on that one, Shopping bag and sump oil recycling scheme. Stop smokin that crap right away.

Crack weed ? do you mean tumble weed, aka hemp.... THC content ridiculously low, it sells to people who don't know any better, burns hot and causes headaches, its the product of bad/lazy growers, who can't be arsed sexing their plants to produce good quality Sensemilla, Won't kill you, but is a total waste of time and money IMO.

And no, I can't see how the head-shop would be liable, in the same way newsagents don't get sued by lung cancer victims for cigarette sales, there is a very grey area on the duty of care there. The retailer could say he was supplying in good faith of the ingredients and processes involved in the manufacture it, which leads you back to a chinese manufacturer who would most likely be untraceable, or just close up and reopen, or just ignore your ridiculous lawsuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

liah wrote: »

The Hemporium's actually relatively nice inside, albeit there isn't a load of variety. The staff are relatively nice people. The other one, High Times.. dodgy as hell. Place is run by knackers, I've walked in there and seen 8 year old kids in tracksuits smoking some of the stuff they sell. Buuuut it used to be open til 4am. It still is if you know the right people. And that's where it gets most of its business when the Hemporium's closed.

The headshops in the 'gar are fairly crap in terms of variety, but you gotta remember it's really not that big a town. And it all comes down to the particular stuff you buy and what works for you-- some of the stuff I get a great buzz off, sometimes better than the illegal stuff, other stuff I just feel nothing at all. So I wouldn't write it off completely. You just need to find something that suits you.

Its true about the Headshop in mulligar being open all hours, ya just have to keep knocking at the door they will answer eventually wen they see ur not cops (there's cameras outside) ... there is always a few young lads in there and the odd girl.. non any older than 14-15 id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I'm not arsed with the places like I said in my first post, but I had some surplus bday money so at about 1am I took a stroll down there to see what I could get just for the craic. My friends owns the pub next door so I said I was going to the shop and went down on me own

You have to speak into the phone thing and they hand it to you out the letterbox. So yeah, in reply to liah's post, maybe we will see, maybe it will work for me, but I have not high hopes, just something I will try to pass time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

how did ya get on? any sleep yet?

hope you got there before today thanks to that bitch harney. so much for not going back eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shots

Its a good thing they were closed! I can honestly say that i know a lot about this stuff - not just what the media have been saying lately. The head shop stuff is total crap! Why if something says "plant fertiliser - not meant for human consumption" should they be allowd to sell as a legal high ... or not anymore but whatever. If u must get high get the proper stuff from a good dealer (if u can find one) its a lot cheaper and a much better buzz. Glad they were banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Shots wrote: »
    If u must get high get the proper stuff from a good dealer (if u can find one) its a lot cheaper and a much better buzz.

I'd be a lot more dubious about the company our good dealer keeps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shots

I'd be a lot more dubious about the company our good dealer keeps though.

true lets face it, how much do you trust someone who is making money illegally? However from what I have seen legal highs are far worse and generally unpredictable, whereas you generally know what to expect from the real stuff.

• Advertisement

It depends on what you are buying and why....

If you are just lookin for some good old fashioned weed, trustworthy dealers aren't that hard to find, if they sell soap-bar, don't trust them, if they sell mouldy bush weed, don't trust them, they are the two biggest no-no's other than that, its pretty easy to tell good weed, from its smell, its consistency, and how dusty it is, the dusty stuff has probably been spiked with something, good sticky bud isn't that hard to find.
    As for Pills, good E is a bit of a contradiction in terms, I've had good E, and E that made me sick for days, but long story short, its a bit of Russian roulette, and there will definitely be some bad contaminants in there....regardless. MDMA can be found in decent quality, but is very hard to find, and pretty pricey.
    Ketamine is dangerous stuff, but can provide a different drug experience, hard enough to find, but usually decent quality
    Cocaine, in Ireland is mostly Sh1te, read up on it, read up on the purity tests, there are 5 or 6 easy ways to find out whats in it, you're pretty much putting it straight into your bloodstream, so its good to be in the know, but its mostly Sh1te as I said, so if you have a line to some good stuff, it probably stretches back to S.America by a very few degrees of separation.
    Heroin, I don't really know that much about, or want to... My drug experiences have been mostly personal experimentation, and at a tender age, I spent a day working in a drop in centre in Merchants quay, and to be honest, it put me of the **** for life, no interest whatsoever, on my death bed, I might climb on the white horse and ride it across the line, but until then, no frickin way....
    As for highs outside that, I've smoked salvia (funny, intense) a few times, Damiana (useless), taken a fcukload of Mushies (great fun, in small doses) tried Acid once (very full on, good, but don't want to again) I've taken those red rocket thingies (useless) tried those seeds (can't remember the name, got them in a headshop in temple bar, some mexican or californian seed, Useless) and thats about it.
    If you want to use drugs, know your dealer, know them well, insist on it, or they are probably gonna take you for a ride:eek:

Hopefully none of this breaches the forum charter,its just personal experience, and for the record, I haven't taken anything stronger than beer or bacardi in months now, occasional cigarette aside.

Advertisement