Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sound interference on TV

• 23-03-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi

When my satellite receiver is connected to 12v and I am connected to mains I am getting a buzzing sound on the TV. This stops if I disconnect from mains or run the satellite receiver using the mains adaptor. Any suggestions how to fix this ?

corkbuoy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I would say it is interference from the battery charger. Do you have the receiver connected to the leisure battery? If you are connected up to the mains anyway the easiest solution is to power the receiver from the 220v.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Try turning down the volume fully on the Sat receiver , and then turn up the Tv to compensate , and if that doen't work , turn down the TV , and turn up the Sat receiver . Worked for me , just can't remember which way! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Chances are the audio cables from the satellite box to the TV arent shielded very well and/or are unbalanced cables.

You could see what effect moving the power source further away from the satellite aerial and TV but it seems like its travelling up the power cables too.

Short of seriously uprating the audio cables or getting a purpose build/customed system there is feck all that can be done about it.

I get similar interference from my laptop when I use the headphones. The goings on of the computer interfere with the audio signal, cant do a thing about it :(

btw. Im a sound engineer so although there could be a few things at play causing the interference I have an insight into whats up.

Turning up the satellite volume to max would help. There is what's called a noise floor in all audio applications and when you have a source of interference the noise floor goes up, or gets louder so if you can overpower that by making the sat louder that should help the situation.

bbk wrote: »

Turning up the satellite volume to max would help. There is what's called a noise floor in all audio applications and when you have a source of interference the noise floor goes up, or gets louder so if you can overpower that by making the sat louder that should help the situation.

So I was kinda right... even though I hadn't a clue what I was talking about ? Excellent!:D

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    So I was kinda right... even though I hadn't a clue what I was talking about ? Excellent!:D

I think you deserve a pint my friend ;) haha

• Advertisement

bbk wrote: »
    I think you deserve a pint my friend ;) haha
    Nowt stronger than milk for me .
    Glad to be of service , and thanks for explaining the reason behind my guessing.:)

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Nowt stronger than milk for me .
    Glad to be of service , and thanks for explaining the reason behind my guessing.:)

Actually that would be pretty nice, I have a packet of Foxs Thick Tea biscuits in the cupboard too.

Not a bodder, you can guess in confidence now
    :D

Oh, OP

Check your grounding. I cant believe I forgot about that.
    If something isnt properly grounded it can cause extra hum and buzz. Sounds like exactly what would happen with a generator since its not an "ideal" way of powering something when you compare it to mains or something like that, I dont quite know what yer up to :p

Im off to beddy byes now but Im hoping the following links can make sense to ya.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/wiring-electrical-installation-help/198477-engine-whine-ground-loop-fixes-take-two.html

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/connecting-your-system/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-audio/89290-what-relief-ground-loop-isolator-worked-like-charm.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

The regulation of the charging unit is probably woeful, and / or you are probably drawing more current than the charging unit can replace. If its an old unit the electrolytic caps are probably gone bad and were probably underspecced to begin with. A bloody big capacitor should sort out your ripple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What you generally get is your bog standard RCA unbalanced L and R Cables for vehicles. In the satellite, chances are its one of those crappy Scart connections with the cables built into the run of it.

I would recommend double checking the grounding of the charger and other electrical devices, The charger / inverter could well be causing the problem if its not properly grounded. I would also invest in a ground loop isolator. If it is a ground loop, it'll kill it. Link
    It'll sit inline with the audio from the satellite to the TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Thanks for all the info, i'll try some of these and see how it goes. Some I don't understand (electrolytic caps, capacitor) but the volume may be an easy fix.

corkbuoy

Advertisement