Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dolan Hercules vs Titaniu

• 23-03-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting one of these from Wheelworx. It'll be a general purpose bike with some sportives and maybe even races thrown in eventually. Comes with a fork and seat post. I'll be throwing an Ultegra groupset on and shoe her in Mavic Aksiums for the moment. Everyone says they're a great wheel but I'm too much of a bogtrotter to know any different. Does anyone have experience of them? I want sporty but comfortable.
    I also asked about titanium after Cadex's suggestion. He surprised me by saying that I'm too young for a Ti frame as they're comfy but not that fast. An aul boy's bike is what he said. I'm still learning so I just agreed. Weird?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

How old are you?

Do you smoke a pipe?

Wear sandals?

To be honest I'd think the Hercules is probably a better bet for your requirements. Carbon is cheaper, lighter and can be at least as comfortable as Ti and generally makes a better race bike. As to "fast" that is generally more down to the rider but at the lower end Ti tends to come with a weight penalty and may not be quite as stiff as a full-on race bike.

You should try out the Hercules and see what you think of the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'm 27. I do own a pipe but I don't smoke it. I wear sandals...sometimes. I've also been told there's a faint whiff of cabbage from me on a Sunday morning. ;) Yeah, I'm thinking Dolan alright. Didn't know titanium had such a coffin dodger image though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

coolbeans wrote: »
    shoe her in Mavic Aksiums for the moment. Everyone says they're a great wheel but I'm too much of a bogtrotter to know any different. Does anyone have experience of them?
    I have aksiums on mine. I have been commuting and riding on them for about 16 months and they have stayed perfectly true. Until last week when I dropped a lock out of my hand and into the spokes and went over the handlebars. No spokes broke and there's only a tiny wobble in the wheel, so I reckon they're plenty strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

I'm 27. I do own a pipe but I don't smoke it. I wear sandals...sometimes. I've also been told there's a faint whiff of cabbage from me on a Sunday morning. ;) Yeah, I'm thinking Dolan alright. Didn't know titanium had such a coffin dodger image though.

Whenever a US Presidential candidate does a photo-op of him with his bike, in an attempt to appear youthful and vigourous, he is usually sitting astride custom ti.
    Having said that, the idea that a given frame material is suitable for a particular age bracket only is ludicrous. Make your choice based on your requirements not on some daft notion of image, as blorg advised above.

In fairness the guy said they were comfortable but it was difficult to get the power down on them as energy is lost in the flex. That's why they appeal to older riders who may have back problems and the like. That's what he said anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In fairness the guy said they were comfortable but it was difficult to get the power down on them as energy is lost in the flex

I have serious doubts about this. Stiffness is good, but tests have shown that old steel frames only lose a couple of watts at worst. Handling on descents is more of an issue for flexy frames, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Lumen wrote: »
    I have serious doubts about this. Stiffness is good, but tests have shown that old steel frames only lose a couple of watts at worst. Handling on descents is more of an issue for flexy frames, apparently.

I wasn't going to say anything because, to be honest, I'm well out of my depth when it comes to metallurgy and err.....plasticurgy in the case of CF, but when I hear someone saying things like "the flex makes you lose watts when you put the power down" and that person is not Mark Cavendish or an Adonis-like Italian sprint-stallion, I get that feeling you get when you think someone's talking poo but don't know enough to put your finger on it (the stuff they're talking about, not the poo obviously).
    Anyway, not meaning to argue with Mr. Coolbeans of course, I know he's just repeating what was said to him the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

I have a Dolan Hercules for a year now. Great bike, I have Dura Ace and Campag Zonda's on it. I use it for sportives, find it good on long spins (as good as carbon can be), it's definately a quick bike (not the rider). Do alot in the hills around Leitrim and it's a great bike for climbing. You can also costumise your own colour/design.

I think 27 is too young for a ti bike.

Seriously though, Ti can be stiff (my good race bike is a Litespeed Archon and I think it's stiff anyway) but many are not and Ti does tend to come with a price premium. So you have to consider why you want it... as carbon can be just as comfortable.

Stiffness is pretty irrelevant IMO if you are not racing, unless you are talking about something that is crazy flexy. Ultimately I got my Litespeed purely as I liked the look and idea of the thing, not because I thought it was in some way better than a carbon bike.

So ultimately your decision as to whether to go Ti or Carbon does come down to the image... Best to actually ride a few bikes and decide what you want.

I have two Ti bikes and don't want everyone and his mother getting one thanks very much. You need a bit of experience in the carbon world first. You can reconsider when you are a bit older young man.

bbosco wrote: »
    I wasn't going to say anything because, to be honest, I'm well out of my depth when it comes to metallurgy and err.....plasticurgy in the case of CF, but when I hear someone saying things like "the flex makes you lose watts when you put the power down" and that person is not Mark Cavendish or an Adonis-like Italian sprint-stallion, I get that feeling you get when you think someone's talking poo but don't know enough to put your finger on it (the stuff they're talking about, not the poo obviously).
    Anyway, not meaning to argue with Mr. Coolbeans of course, I know he's just repeating what was said to him the shop.

I see what you're saying. The old bull****ometer did start ringing but this guy did look and sound like he knew what he was talking about. For the record I'm slow. I'd be slow on any frame. I'm just asking the question is all. There are (discount) Ti frames in Cycleogical for a grand at the mo. Why not buy one if they're so good? I'm spending that kinda money this week or next and just want an informed opinion.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    I think 27 is too young for a ti bike.

Seriously though, Ti can be stiff (my good race bike is a Litespeed Archon and I think it's stiff anyway) but many are not and Ti does tend to come with a price premium. So you have to consider why you want it... as carbon can be just as comfortable.

Stiffness is pretty irrelevant IMO if you are not racing, unless you are talking about something that is crazy flexy. Ultimately I got my Litespeed purely as I liked the look and idea of the thing, not because I thought it was in some way better than a carbon bike.

So ultimately your decision as to whether to go Ti or Carbon does come down to the image... Best to actually ride a few bikes and decide what you want.

I have two Ti bikes and don't want everyone and his mother getting one thanks very much. You need a bit of experience in the carbon world first. You can reconsider when you are a bit older young man.

That's it settled. I'm getting a Ti.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Join the club. Welcome. Loads of ride Titanium. :)

The €1,000 for a Litespeed sounds like a very good deal in Cycleogical but I don't know exactly what frame it is, etc.

Just be clear why you are doing it and ideally test ride first. And know why you want Ti over carbon etc. Because comfort is not a good reason. Because you prefer the look of it is.

Advertisement