Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

security camera saves to computer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The resolution is 320x240, you can't get any lower/worse resolution.

At a bare minimum I'd want 640x480, and preferably 800x600, 1024x748 or greater. Depends on your use.
    If you want a security camera where you can recognise peoples faces, then higher resolution is good. 320x240 is poor, search for a few sample photos on the web at that resolution and you'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭TheGobb

Could you suggest one, wireless, that saves to PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

We have these in work and their pretty decent although they are expensive enough.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_207w/index.htm

sink wrote: »
    We have these in work and their pretty decent although they are expensive enough.

Thanks. How much room on a hard drive would these take up? Would you say review them daily and then delete. ?

I do not see a price for the AXIS 207, 211 is €549. What would expenseive be in relatioj to one of those?€500? What would I get for €300. I want a rasonable decent wireless one to cover front door garden. New to this, thanks

sink wrote: »

It doesn't look like that has any infrared led lights.
    So unless your garden / porchway is lit up, it may have limited results.

A couple of points, based on my experience programming a webcam.

1. The webcams/cameras with infrared leds are better in low light conditions.
    2. The little webcams with 4-6 leds or so, will illuminate for about 5 meters indoors.
    3. There's two types of led lights on camera, white leds or true infrared leds. White leds are like bike lights, very visible. Infrared leds do not produce much visible light and you just see a dull red glow from them, but the webcam can see the infrared light so they work just fine.
    4. If you try pointing the webcam out the window, then the infrared leds will produce a glare like a bright light on the webcam image as they can see the invisible IR light being reflected back by the window.
    I can't disable my IR leds, so it is useless for outdoor security through a window.

Do you have an "indoor" porch / double front door ?
    Where do you want to mount the camera ?

If you want to mount it outdoors, covering the front of the house including the approach to the front door, then I'd suggest an outdoor camera with IR leds.

Another nice feature you'll want is motion detection.
    Instead of recording 24 hours a day, you only want the camera to record when it detects motion in the picture.
    That will cut down on the space required to store the recordings and only show you security events of interest.

• Advertisement

It doesn't look like that has any infrared led lights.
    So unless your garden / porchway is lit up, it may have limited results.

A couple of points, based on my experience programming a webcam.

1. The webcams/cameras with infrared leds are better in low light conditions.
    2. The little webcams with 4-6 leds or so, will illuminate for about 5 meters indoors.
    3. There's two types of led lights on camera, white leds or true infrared leds. White leds are like bike lights, very visible. Infrared leds do not produce much visible light and you just see a dull red glow from them, but the webcam can see the infrared light so they work just fine.
    4. If you try pointing the webcam out the window, then the infrared leds will produce a glare like a bright light on the webcam image as they can see the invisible IR light being reflected back by the window.
    I can't disable my IR leds, so it is useless for outdoor security through a window.

Do you have an "indoor" porch / double front door ?
    Where do you want to mount the camera ?

Another nice feature you'll want is motion detection.
    Instead of recording 24 hours a day, you only want the camera to record when it detects motion in the picture.
    That will cut down on the space required to store the recordings and only show you security events of interest.
    If you want to mount it outdoors, covering the front of the house including the approach to the front door, then I'd suggest an outdoor camera with IR leds.
    yes that is where I want it. No indoor" porch / double front door
    http://www.equicom.ie/2-wireless-cctv-cameras--tv-receivercomputer-recorder-46-p.asp looks good but no motion detector and it does not state the resolution. Are the CMOS type any good. CCD is very expensive. €145 - €300 would be my price region
    Is it trur that they play live at a higher resolution that a recording playback?

The cameras you can plug into your TV would be PAL resolution, think it's 720x576. So typical enough security camera resolution.

Not sure if you need additional hardware to record to the PC.
    Typically you need a TV card / graphics card that you can plug the TV cable into. So you might want to check that.
    But worse case scenario you can buy those on ebay.

The thing about those multiple cameras, I'm not sure if they record both simultaneously. If mentions that it can scroll through the camera or you can use the remote, so not sure if that means while recording.
    Worse case scenario, that might mean it shows say 5 seconds on camera 1 then switch to 5 seconds on camera 2 etc... Or you can fix it to stay on camera 1.

Plenty of LEDS on it, looks like it would do the job, if you don't mind it being a little conspicuous.

The cameras you can plug into your TV would be PAL resolution, think it's 720x576. So typical enough security camera resolution.
    OK
    Not sure if you need additional hardware to record to the PC.
    Typically you need a TV card / graphics card that you can plug the TV cable into. So you might want to check that.
    The ones at the links say they supply all
    But worse case scenario you can buy those on ebay
    .anywhere else don't like ebay?
    The thing about those multiple cameras, I'm not sure if they record both simultaneously. If mentions that it can scroll through the camera or you can use the remote, so not sure if that means while recording.
    Worse case scenario, that might mean it shows say 5 seconds on camera 1 then switch to 5 seconds on camera 2 etc... Or you can fix it to stay on camera 1.
    i can check that. One would do me anyway, may be two
    Plenty of LEDS on it, looks like it would do the job, if you don't mind it being a little conspicuous.
    I do not mind conspicious, think that is a deterrant in itself. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nicks28

Hi TheGobb,

I know about wireless security camera on which you can save the recordings on your computer. You can go with the remote CCTV Security Camera , you can put an eye at your home or business without being present there, anywhere in the world by connecting your PC or Laptop on any internet browser.

It will be helpful for you.

Advertisement