Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i be getting more money?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello guys,

Been working in a shop for the last 5 years, its a small enough shop(prob the size of your average petrol station shop). The shop changed hands last year but im still working for the new owner. Started the job in my early teens on 6 euro a hour went up to 7.50 some time last year now on 8.65 at the age of 18.

My work involves:

Cashier duties, stock shelves etc
    Im the only full timer working there so im the one that orders stock(I do all the orders), deals with reps, i suppose im pretty much managing the shop as the owner just floats in for 5 or 10 mins a day.
    Im basically responsible for every part of the shop, including opening and closing.
    I get calls all the time on my days off, when something goes wrong and its really starting to get a bit annoying.

I know in my heart and brain :D that I could take the shop over in the morning and run it no problem, i feel at the minute that I have to much responsibility for someone on minimum wage.

In the current economic climate some people may think im being cheeky asking for a rise but the shop is by no means doing bad.

Would be great if ye could give me some advice and opinions on this please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If the business is genuinely doing well and you're responsible for large parts of that, why shouldn't you do well too?

Maybe approach the owner about officially becoming a store manager (or assistant manager as a first step) and taking on more responsibility e.g. cashing up tills, bank lodgements etc. If you approach it from the point of 'furthering your career' rather than simply getting more money you'll nearly always get a better response when seeking a raise (and it'll look far better on your CV in years to come).

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Afaik theres either a JLC or REA rate in place for working in grocery/retail stores, somewhere in the region of 9.20/hr minimum for an experienced adult worker, whatever it is your employer should be obliged to pay you that rate. Am on mobile so cant look it up but a quick googling should get ya the details.
    You should definitely be on more than minimum wage anyway

Advertisement