Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quill stems

• 23-03-2010 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I was hoping to replace the Quill stem on my hybrid with an old road bike quill stem for a lower angle but have hit some problems. The value on the hybrid quill stem reads 25.4 (1") but most of the ones that I've found on ebay tend to be 22.2. What gives!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I'll take a guess and say that the 25.4mm refers to the handlebar clamp, which was standard for MTB bars. 26.0mm was standard for drop bars so you may need to look around to find a quill stem with a 25.4mm clamp, or you might be able to use a shim.

I'm open to correction but I have never seen a quill stem that was for anything other than a 1" steerer tube so I don't think you need to worry on that count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Sounds right, I'm pretty sure all quill stems are for 1' steerers. Don't see why you can't find any 25.4 mm bars?? examples here and here,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Quill stems come in two sizes - 7/8" (22.2mm) to fit in a 1" (25.4mm) steerer and 1" (25.4mm) to fit a 1 1/8" (28.6mm) steerer

Huge potential for confusion as both standards include a 1" sizing. Best to measure the diameter of your current stem first. Sighting over a ruler pressed against the stem should be accurate enough to tell the difference but callipers are best

could you clarify those measurements please? what does the 22.2mm refer to, steerer i.d.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

abcdggs wrote: »
    could you clarify those measurements please? what does the 22.2mm refer to, steerer i.d.?

The smaller measurement is for quill outer diameter and the larger is steerer outer diameter

• Advertisement

That's what i thought. I'm pretty sure you won't find a quill stem for a 1 1/8" steerer

Advertisement