Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo storage on laptop

Options
  • 23-03-2010 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My C drive is saying it is full nearly all the time now. I am an amature photo head and I realise now when I download pics onto my laptop they are being saved in 3 places- my pictures, PMB for my sony camera and in the cannon software. Where is the best place to save the pic/video. Also if I want to take my pics/video off my laptop should I put them all on discs or is there a better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

Most of the time you don't need to install any software that comes with a camera. By pluging it in to a usb socket, the computer usually recognises the camera's card/memory as a usb storage device from which you can open and view/copy files. I would remove the sony and canon software and just save all images/videos in My Pictures or My Videos. This would mean you only save each file once on your laptop. For backing up, burning to DVDR discs is still probably the handiest method. You can also buy an external hard drive, these days a 1 terrabyte drive (1,000 Gb) is about €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mollymx5

Would my pictures be able to handle the sony stuff as its a HD video camera? Also the canon has this stitch assist thing if you want to put pictures together, again would I be able to do that in my pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

My Pictures is just a regular folder, it doesn't do anything like a program, it will store up to whatever space is left on your C drive. The stitch assist thing might be worth keeping the software for if you use it. It could also be achieved using any basic image editing program, even microsoft paint but probably not as easily.

Advertisement