Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy Seeds

Options
  • 23-03-2010 4:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

You can buy these easily enough from health shops, but is it legal to grow them in your garden.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

molloyjazz wrote: »
    You can buy these easily enough from health shops, but is it legal to grow them in your garden.

I was under the impression that the opium poppy was a completely separate species from the ones used for their seeds and oil, but apparently that's a common misconception.

According to Wikipedia, you don't need a license to grow them in England. I'd assume it's the same in Ireland. As long as you're just growing a few in the garden, and not a cornucopia in a specially designed attic, you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

yeah id say ur right, i think they look lovely, and i only want a few.

Has any one here grown them in this climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm hoping to grow some poppies this year - they're one of my favourite flowers.

They come in mixes for flower meadows so I assume they're relatively easy to grow (note: just because I assume something does not make it true)

I'm going to just put a bunch in a container and see what happens, basically!

As for climate, they grow in Flanders, (In Flanders fields the poppies blow between the crosses row on row) so they should be alright around here... I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

It's absolutely legal to grow them in Ireland - even the opium poppy, Papaver Somniferum - I've grown it quite a bit over the years. Does very well here, very short flowering season though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

It's absolutely legal to grow them in Ireland - even the opium poppy, Papaver Somniferum - I've grown it quite a bit over the years. Does very well here, very short flowering season though.

Do you mean shorter then if it was planted in Afghanistan of example, or do they just flower quick anyway... i know they grow in pakistan where its very cold at evening, so would it be grand to leave them outside the whole time?
    Also wat is best temp/technique for germinating the seeds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

My parents grow them every year without any problem and they are beautiful when they come into flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Ive grown them regularly. Sow loads of seeds as the flowers only last a few days - beautiful things!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

molloyjazz wrote: »
    Do you mean shorter then if it was planted in Afghanistan of example, or do they just flower quick anyway... i know they grow in pakistan where its very cold at evening, so would it be grand to leave them outside the whole time?
    Also wat is best temp/technique for germinating the seeds?

Thankfully I've never gardened in Afghanistan :D

Yeah, each flower only lasts a few days - any bit of rain wrecks the petals even quicker, and each plant is done flowering in about 3-4 weeks. Lovely things though, grow like the clappers and are great for filling in spaces in the border in May.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Just want to remind you that there are annual poppies which have to be sown every year, and there are perennial poppies which once sown will flower and grow for many many years.

I have both and they are brilliant plants and seem to thrive in our weather..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

once you start growing poppies, they can be prolific seed producers, and you may never have to buy seeds again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 NedTheHead

Are you sure they are legal to grow in Ireland? Where did you hear this? I know Papaver somniferum grows wild in Ireland but it is illegal to grow in a lot of countries so I would have assumed its illegal to grow here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Papaver somniferum are extremely common in gardens, I have one single flower in the garden at the moment (no-one told it it was out of season). Its impossible not to have seeds if you grow poppies! I thought opium was harvested from sap of the poppy though, not the seeds?

looksee wrote: »
    Papaver somniferum are extremely common in gardens, I have one single flower in the garden at the moment (no-one told it it was out of season). Its impossible not to have seeds if you grow poppies! I thought opium was harvested from sap of the poppy though, not the seeds?
    It is. From what I've read, to make opium, they slice the pod and the resin oozes out. Although its illegal, poppy pods make a brilliant natural, alternative pain killer. A lot healthier than paracetamol and the other toxic crap you get at the chemists. I'd grow them myself if I had a back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

I am no expert but I believe Papaver rhoeas is the common poppy. Its not illegal to grow poppys just to extract the stuff that messes with your head. The seedhead part ( the illegal bit! ) dries out and seeds can be sprinkled from it like a salt shaker. I have loads in my garden and deliberately promote reseeding.

I also have Papaver somniferum growing which I bought. This is a bigger coarser poppy and is the Afganistan model! It is probably very common because poppy seeds are both numerous and hardy. Just waiting for you to dig the garden ( hence emblem of ww1 ).

I prefer the delicate common poppy even though it is not very wind/rain resistant. They do not suit the border, more for the open spaces.

Red poppies are legal, even the pods. They don't contain morphine or codeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know about Ireland, but I recently read an American article and, basically, Opium poppies are completely legal to grow in the states as long as you don't know anything about harvesting or producing heroin. The law may be similar here. I've seen them in plenty of gardens so I wouldn't imagine that they're illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Growing cannabis plants or opium poppies
    It is also an offence to grow cannabis plants or opium poppies and on summary conviction for this offence, you could be liable for a class C fine or a prison sentence of no longer than 12 months. If the court decides, you could be liable for both. On conviction on indictment for growing these plants, the court can decide on an appropriate fine and you could also be liable for a prison sentence of not more than 14 years. Again, if the court decides, you could be liable for both.

Citizens Advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

4636618173_23158f08fd.jpg

Advertisement