Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Folding bikes, particularly Dahon

• 23-03-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hello very unhappy trying to start a new thread. does anybody know anything about folding bikes particularly Dahon brand

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Moved to new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

johnmurray wrote: »
    hello very unhappy trying to start a new thread. does anybody know anything about folding bikes particularly Dahon brand

I had one. They're a bit cheaper than Brompton so they're not quite as neat design wise. Lovely little bike though. Very high quality and the joint where it folds is very strong. Dahon is the world's biggest maker of folding bikes so they know what they're at. I'd recommend one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I have a Dahon Mu P8 at home - anything in particular you want to know?

As said above - it doesn't fold as neatly as the Brompton but it's reasonably compact and grand to ride once you get used to the small wheels (and quick steering). Wouldn't want to do huge distances on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

They have folding bikes with full size wheels too, anyone own/riden one of those before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I have had two Dahon bikes.

First one was the Speed D7. The clamp at the bottom of the steerer tube fell apart after 3 months of moderate usage so not recommended. It's currently in my shed, untouched in nearly 2 years.

The second one was the Smooth Hound. This wasn't really a fold up per se but more a breakaway frame. Much better quality than the Speed D7. I would recommend it but not for daily folding/unfolding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I have a Mu Sl and can't really fault it. Light enough to carry one-handed through a shop (especially if carried over the shoulder in Dahon's "El Bolo" bag), I regularly used it for a Malahide to Glasnevin commute of about 14km and it fairly hummed along. I also fitted a rear carrier so I could put panniers (Ortlieb Front Rollers) on it. Came with nine-speed SRAM derailleur/cassette which was sufficient range for anything North Dublin could throw at it. (Mind you, last year in Kerry I encountered a couple, both on 16-inch wheel Dahons, fully-loaded with touring gear. I later realised that they must have gone over the Conor Pass so apparently anything is possible on them.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnmurray

Thank you for your views
    I am considering a Dahon Cadenza or Dahon Espresso with 26 inch wheels I live in Shankill in a hilly area. I cycle for fun.
    Espresso has more speeds
    Anybody got any advice on Cadenza v Espresso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The Espresso is a good 2 kilos heavier than the Cadenza for a start. You'd feel that on the hills.

Will you be folding it much (e.g. for train travel)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Thank you for your views
    I am considering a Dahon Cadenza or Dahon Espresso with 26 inch wheels I live in Shankill in a hilly area. I cycle for fun.
    Espresso has more speeds
    Anybody got any advice on Cadenza v Espresso

Shameless shilling I know but if you buy either and you're looking for a bike box, I have a Dahon specific one I've been looking to sell. Bought it 18 months ago with dreams of European city breaks but recession has dampened my enthusiasm. E70 (new E200 I think) and it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JimWalsh

I would be interested in puchasing your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Never used Dahon, but I'm an owner and occasional user of a Brompton. For the odd trip where I need to get a train or bus, it's fantastic. The fold is very quick and the resulting package very small. It also rides well and is quite fast. I get from town to Kilmainham in a slightly longer time than on my touring bike anyway. Handy if you need to hire a car as well, as you can get to the car-hire place and then put the Brompton in the trunk.

Dahon have a good reputation, for sure, but the Brompton by reputation has the best and easiest fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There's animal folding bikes which are closer to a full sized bike but obviously don't fold as small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

coolbeans wrote: »
    I had one. They're a bit cheaper than Brompton so they're not quite as neat design wise. Lovely little bike though. Very high quality and the joint where it folds is very strong. Dahon is the world's biggest maker of folding bikes so they know what they're at. I'd recommend one.

They're a bit cheaper than Brompton so they're not quite as neat design wise. - real Celtic Tiger statement that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

There are a few full size bikes in Cycle Super Store in Tallaght.
    After a quick uninformed glance, they look fine.

Advertisement