Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo announce new DS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think Kotaku have this a bit muddled. Until there is an official announcement, I'd take this with a pinch of salt.
    That DSiWare game plays on existing DSi consoles, and uses the camera to calculate perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/23/breaking-nintendo-announces-the-3ds-more-news-at-e3/#continued

Tis true after all!

Gimmick if nothing more, but what elese would we expect from nintendo?

Yeah, very gimmicky alright. Roll on E3. Should be interesting this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

i saw the title for this and hought, oh god, another one? what is it this time extra small?

Seriously nintendo... make something worth getting....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

OP post is fail - It's a brand new console, not another iteration of the current hardware, that video is meaningless

Dont understand the cynicism myself - Nintendo, gimmicky? This is the company that created the D-pad and shoulder buttons for gods sake! The DS has one of the best back catalogues of any console and single-handedly brough back point & click games because of the stylus interface. This news has me excited - I think a lot of people that saw Avatar are excited about the prospect of 3D gaming and TV, but are put off at what will be the massive cost of entry. 3D gaming on the bus sounds fantastic to me

Few extra points:

- It will have highly detailed graphics (most likely PS2/Gamecube quality)
    - No need for glasses
    - Includes a motion sensor that will detect player movement

"Seriously nintendo... make something worth getting.... "

Don't see how much more you could revolutionise handheld gaming tbh? And anyone that thinks 3D is a gimmick is has really missed the boat, Sony have already stated they will be bigging up 3D gaming a LOT this coming E3

• Advertisement

I think the 3D is just a part of the new 3DS console. I think most people's cynicism will be wiped away if they announce that the hardware is beefed up, that it has Gamecube levels of processing power behind it. There was a rumour a few weeks ago of reducing the gap between the screens - that would be a cool addition. Backward compatibility is a good move.

For 3D gaming, its hard to imagine too many applications for 3D games (outside of simple perspective stuff like Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda in the OP's youtube clip, or something like Echochrome on the PSP). Applications for puzzle games will be great, but in something like a Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Castlevania, I'm not so sure.

Like I said earlier, E3 will be interesting.

Mr E wrote: »
    I think the 3D is just a part of the new 3DS console. I think most people's cynicism will be wiped away if they announce that the hardware is beefed up, that it has Gamecube levels of processing power behind it. There was a rumour a few weeks ago of reducing the gap between the screens - that would be a cool addition. Backward compatibility is a good move.

For 3D gaming, its hard to imagine too many applications for 3D games (outside of simple perspective stuff like Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda in the OP's youtube clip, or something like Echochrome on the PSP). Applications for puzzle games will be great, but in something like a Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Castlevania, I'm not so sure.

Like I said earlier, E3 will be interesting.

I don't think 3D will be an "application" in the near future, instead just the new medium for watching TV/playing games. Sony/Sky etc are putting a lot of money behind their TV and TV subs simply because it's a more impressive, immersive experience, I'd wager Nintendo are doing the same rather than specifically making games that cater to 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

OP post is fail - It's a brand new console, not another iteration of the current hardware, that video is meaningless

Alright, alright, relax there champ. Remember nothing official has been announced and it's all just speculation. If it's a new generation of hardware then yeah, I'm interested. If it's another tarted up DS - we'd be on to the fifth - then I'm not bothered.

Alright, alright, relax there champ. Remember nothing official has been announced and it's all just speculation. If it's a new generation of hardware then yeah, I'm interested. If it's another tarted up DS - we'd be on to the fifth - then I'm not bothered.

It has been announced though - that's my point, and it is a new generation of hardware.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27779/Nintendo_Announces_New_Nintendo_3DS_Portable_System.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It's already on the DSi as I mentioned here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055843192

• Advertisement
Advertisement