Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC-router cable

• 23-03-2010 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the name of the cable I need for connecting a UPC (fibre) box to a router? Have an old router from Imagine lying around somewhere which I'd like to use. I presume it is manufactured by ZyXEL.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Cat 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

CAT 5 Ethernet cable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭pietromas

Em, no I don't think so. The UPC box has round ports on it. It's a female socket I think (from memory).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pietromas wrote: »
    Em, no I don't think so. The UPC box has round ports on it. It's a female socket I think (from memory).

They're right, you're connecting it wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Is your UPC box a modem or are you talking about the UPC the connection point on the wall?

• Advertisement

Ardmore3 wrote: »
    Is your UPC box a modem or are you talking about the UPC the connection point on the wall?

Yeah I mean the box on the wall. I presume that gets connected directly to the router, no?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yeah I mean the box on the wall. I presume that gets connected directly to the router, no?

No, that goes to the cable modem.

Spear wrote: »
    No, that goes to the cable modem.

Oh. Think I'm, understanding now. Wall goes to cable modem (which UPC provide?), and modem goes to computer with cat5 or to a wireless router (which can't be a DSL router like the one I have from Imagine?).

Thanks.

Oh. Think I'm, understanding now. Wall goes to cable modem (which UPC provide?), and modem goes to computer with cat5 or to a wireless router (which can't be a DSL router like the one I have from Imagine?).

Thanks.

That's pretty much it. Depending on the router, it may or may not play well as a standalone router due to the presence of the ADSL modem as its WAN interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Wall goes to cable modem (which UPC provide?).

Yep. UPC has to provide the modem - unlike the router, where you can buy and use any model you like, the modem needs to be registered for their network, you can't simply buy one off the shelf anywhere. In my case, I only ever got a modem from them years ago and use my own router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement