Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlete Fitness Test

• 23-03-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    first time posting here.
    Was just wondering if anyone has had a fitness test recently, and where I could get one done? (doesn't matter where...midlands...dublin...NI....Galway...whatever...)

I'm sure I saw some on that 'how long will you live' program on RTE, and I thought it looked like DCU, but not sure to be honest.

they don't seem to be easy to find (via google), so i thought i'd ask you guys, as I'm sure someone has been through one?

I did see a list of doctors from the Quinn Healthcare website, but they just appear to be like a normal doctor surgery. I doubt they'd have all the equipment necessary (looked quite complex there on the TV ;-) )

hope you can help!
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

If your talkin about a standard beep test, then you could aproach any decent gym instructor or personal trainer, however if you mean a full on sensors attached to your chest while running on a threadmill, co2 max etc etc then I would recommend contacting the sports science dept of a university. I believe UCD would have all the necessary in Dublin, UL if further down the country.

A good personal trainer would be able to arrange this for you but you would be paying extra for their help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

thanks ScottStorm. yeah it was the full-on, hooked up to the machines, checking Vo2-Max, Latic threshold, max HR etc etc...

Reckon a Uni is the best bet alright. By chance does any reader have a contact? I can just try ringing anyway...no harm I guess ;)

cheers,
    andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Edit: Just saw your second message now Andy, so the below is probably irrelevant! In a completely biased way (please remove if inappropriate mods), the one I know is UCD Insitute for Sport and Health

It depends what sort of test you are looking for. Do you want a performance-type test to give you information for training, or more of a general health check? There often isn't alot of point doing performance testing if you don't know what to do wth the results that it gives you (although having said that, a good testing lab will explaint to you how to use the information).

All of these tests can be quite expensive, so there's no point you paying for somehting which you don't need, or which won't actually give you the information you want.

There's been quite a few threads here and on the A/R/T forum about performance testing, if that's what you want. There's a few places in Dublin doing them (both universities and private setups), I don't know about the rest of the counrty but i would imagine UL and WIT both would, as well as University of ulster at Jordanstown and probably several other places.

If it's more of a health-ckeck you want (blood tests, ECG heart screening, lung function testing, basic exercise test etc etc), maybe try the Beacon or one of the other similar private clinics, I think most of them have packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

no that's perfect StudentC, thanks for the help! the one in UCD looks like the type of thing I'm after alright ;-)
    I'll give them a shout.

Thanks!
    andy

Advertisement